Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Tauras fan

looking to switch to the Tauras fan ..which fan and relay is used on a 19x26 radiator...can the relay be salavged from the car the fan came out of?
jony
Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
looking to switch to the Tauras fan ..which fan and relay is used on a 19x26 radiator...can the relay be salavged from the car the fan came out of?
jony
I wouldn't rely on the Taurus' wiring harness for parts. Here's a thread that should give you all the info you need:

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...ght=taurus+fan

I did the install myself and the fan kicks the butt of any Flexalite/spaal/etc that you could install.

Dave
Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 351 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I too have a Taurus fan in my car. Bought a SPAL relay wiring setup. The fan was to much for the relay since I had it wired to the high speed. The fan was pulling 45 amps (+/-) and actually melted my inline fuse holder either due to the fan or the manual switch. Switched to the low speed replaced the relay/inline fuse and so far has done well.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default what year tauras?

is this from a standard tauras with a V6....or ?? what year, mid/late 90's or 2000 models?
thanks
Jon
Old 04-26-2010, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
is this from a standard tauras with a V6....or ?? what year, mid/late 90's or 2000 models?
thanks
Jon
The 90 to 95, 3.8 liter V6 only.

Mine was only $79.95 brand new on fleabay.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

I also just did the Taurus/Mark VIII fan install. Paid $40 for a used one on fleabay. I also used the relay pack and weather tight connector from
The Hollister Road Company
http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII
This fan draws alot of juice, so I'd recommend not skimping on the wiring and relays.
Dave from Hollister Road is very helpful.
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE III View Post
This fan draws alot of juice, so I'd recommend not skimping on the wiring and relays.
Amen brutha...

As a result, I converted my 1 wire 140 amp alternator to a 3 wire to pick up another volt, volt and a half. I also ran #2 copper from the alternator to my buss bar. For the cooling fan's primary circuit wiring I ran #8 copper up to Hollister's shortened wiring harness.

With the engine idling, lights/accessories on and the hi speed fan running I'm getting 14.2 volts at the fan motor and alternator alike. Hollister's relay setup and alternator/wiring mods did the trick. ...now if I can figure a way to keep the engine from shedding a couple hundred RPMs at idle when I turn on the hi speed fan.

As I'd mentioned earlier, I'm running two different cooling fan sending units. (Hollister's deluxe kit) The first sending unit is rated at 180 deg and brings on the low speed fan. I have that sending unit mounted in my Tunnel Wedge intake, next to the coolant temp gauge's sending unit. The second sending unit is rated at 195 deg and when engine temps dictate it cuts power to the low speed fan circuit and brings on the F4 rated hi speed fan.

As MFE said, your electrical system better be up to the task.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Dave, glad to hear you are finally up and running. I have 1000 miles on my setup andno problems.

Jim
Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Tauras fan ..
jony
Wow, when I saw the title of your post I thought, this person really likes the Taurus!

OK, OK, it was a dumb joke, but I was bored...