Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Default Sat. Night Blues

Went to 1st car show of season down in Mass. I was supprised to be the only AC there out of mabe 300 rides. I met up with a few of my friends who had their rides, vettes, Dodges & a wicked nice 68 custom built Stang. Anyway, all had fun & the show went on till dusk. On the way back to Maine, I noticed in stop & go traffic that my timing seemed to be off or mabe a power valve in my carb may have blown. Very slugish on take off & wanting to die @ stopping. I decided to roll on back to Maine; about 40 miles. Got on the highway & headed back, all seemed well. Toward the end of the highway route I pulled off for a quick stop. She labored to restart, not much but I noticed. As I pulled back on the highway going up the on ramp in 2nd going to 3rd @ about 3 grand I got a big backfire out of the driverside pipe; it lit the night sky! & nothing. She puttered to a stop! WTF Had I just lost a $25+K Holmon Moody original built sideoiler! Well after the 1.5 hour wait for the ramp truck, I at last got loaded up & got home & just crashed. The next day I pulled the plugs & inspected them all & then each cylinder with a borescope. All seemed good! Next I turned her over about 10 seconds to be sure of oil pressure. Zip, Nota, Zilch!! I then popped off the rotor cap, cracked the accumulator to insure oil on the crank & bearings & gave her a nother spin. The rotor didn't move! Ok, so now I pull out the 65 motorcraft distributor. As the distributor comes out there is no gear!! Looking down into the distributor port, there it sits! The distributor gear shear pin, had sheared(clean)! All appears good! Dist./gear, cam/gear etc. Either someting got into the oil pump or the oil pump spring gave way! At least, thats my guess/hope. I'm waiting for the new pump & drive shaft to arrive before dropping the pan for the R&R. No need to expose the engine to any FME if not necessary. I'm hopeful! anyway. CSX3116 did the same thing many years ago. I'll post more as I know. You gota love these rides It was a Kick Ass Romp!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

is that Kick ass romp or get your ass kicked romp? Sometimes I get confused.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Talking

On this trip, I had both actually! But it's ok, it's all part of driving these Road Maulers. My girl isn't a trailer queen, though she looks it. She is in fact "Da Maine Mauler" As my antique tags read!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

What sort of oil pressure numbers were you running before you lost your gear?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation

On highway prior to last stop, she was steady @ 55-60lbs. Standard idle is about 15-20 lbs. But I must admit, I don't remember the reading just prior to losing the shear pin. Yes, I am also praying there wasn't enough time to cause any bearing damage, it was very quick! Mabe 15 seconds from shear pin loss to complete stop. I hope to learn more as the R&R starts.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Think of the drive pin as a built in weak point lika fuse. The pin should be a roll pin but more than likely it was a spring pin. Other than the inconvience it will only trake about an hour to repair and get back to the fun. I bought my replacement true roll pin from MSD through Summit. I'd get an extra pin or two drilling a larger hole weakens the shaft and moves the weakest point to someplace else. Other than it's timing it is not hard to mrepair. When the pin breaks, you loose the ignition and the engine coast to a stop. A magnetic drain plug could catch the pieces. It happen to me but I was in the back yard.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Even though you're putting in a new one, you still might want to disassemble the old pump and inspect it. Finding a chunk of something in there that caused the whole problem might put your mind at ease.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

I have been told by , my engine builder, my prep shop, and professional racers to not rev or push engine until engine oil heats up. I have oil temp gauge and take their advice. On my car there is a lot of oil lines and oil radiator as well as dry sump tank with cold oil in it to heat up. If it is a cold day I will plug oil tank heater in until tank warms up. I watched Jay Leno video and his comment was its got some heat in her now after he had drove for a few miles. Oil is thick when cold and hard to pump. I'm sure you know all of this, but my post are taken the wrong way a lot of time. I'm not to good at posting and they are choppy but I just throw thoughts out and if they help fine, if not just ignore.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Thanks all, I am greatful for this site & it's members. All advice & opinions are taken to hart! I will be doing a through investigation of the old oil pump, filter, oil & all clearances, prior to the install of the new parts. As well as adding some new baffles to the oil pan & a new windage tray. No, I wont go over board with the baffles, there are none now in the Canton 8.5 qt. pan. Also, I will be doing a complete compression/leak down test & overall review & reset of each system prior to restart! As the sheared pin was so clean & all pieces accounted for. I will also be re-using the original Autolite (w/new roll pin) distributor. I will keep all posted!

Last edited by Silversmith; 06-05-2012 at 06:11 PM..