Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gsharapa

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK III,462 FE/TKO 600, IRS w/3.27
Not Ranked     
Default FE stroker: single plane or dual plane intake

OK, I'm building (or having it built) a new FE, since I blew up my current one on a weekend track day at a road course.

With the cu. in. of a stroked FE in a light weight roadster, I'm considering using a single plane intake on this one instead of a dual plane. I know you lose some low RPM torque with a single plane, but in our light cars and abundance of FE torque, I don't know that I'd miss at little torque at lower RPM's.

I've got the Edel Perf RPM dual plane 7105 and I've got a brand new (but discontinued) Weiand 7282 single plane.

I'll wind up in the mid-400's on cu. in's., depending on bore & stroke.

Thougths?

Thanks in advance.
Joe

FFR#6143 Mk III: FE 462" w/four 48 IDA Weber's w/TKO 600 .82, IRS w/3.27, 17" Team III's w/245/45's & 315/35's. Gas N's.

Picked it up end of Aug '08
First start May 12, '10
First go kart May 26, '10
Tag & title 5-26-11, driving in gel coat
Painted Nov 2015

'05 Harley Wide Glide (60 hp stock, now 107 hp & 107 ft/lbs at wheel. Mid 11's in the 1/4 mi.)
'55 Bel Air hot rod project (WIP)
Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

If you've got the hood clearance, do it. Hood clearance is usually the only thing that keeps me from it on big inch FE builds (or big inch Windsor builds).
Old 06-26-2012, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

You're correct. A few loss's in TQ or HP really won't matter with a Cobra. We built my first 428 FE with the Edelbrock RPM, which had no problem with hood clearance, but the second motor, I used the Vic manifold and had to mill off 3/8" because it hit the hood. We ran another dyno test and it did not make a difference with HP or TQ.

The Victor (air gap) is supposed to keep the fuel cooler.
I also like the looks better.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I went with a vintage PI when I built mine having an eye toward an original look. Wish I'd gone with a Victor, may still go to one. If you haven't read Jay Brown's big intake comparo book it's worth the price to get concrete data on what you want to do. If it had been out before I started gathering pieces I'd have gone a different way.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There is a lot of intakes out there that are in-between the two. First sell the Weiand as you will only loose power with it. A Blue Thunder single four is a step up from a Performer RPM and kind of a cross between a factory PI intake and Cobra Jet intake. You also have either a factory tunnel wedge or a Dove copy. I think the best bet though would be an Offy Port-O-Sonic as you would still get the high rpm of a single plane but you wouldn't loose your hood clearence and it also has smaller runners so you wouldn't loose much low end tourqe.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Recently tested a Edelbrock Victor 427 intake against a C8AX 2X4 single plane and a Ford Sidewinder 1X4 and the Victor was better than both. Low end torque on the Victor was even surprisingly good with the right carb spacer in place. My vote would be for the Victor single plane over a dual plane intake.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM2006 FE & Toploader
Not Ranked     

Joe, sorry about your misfortune at Run & Gun, we were excited when you got the pushrods changed and got back on the track. We were down at the shop when we saw the smoke and felt for you as they towed you in.

As far as the intake goes I was thinking exactly the same as you are. I have one of the old Offy single plane intakes on mine. I had not even thought about hood clearance yet since I don't have the body on. But figured I could loose little on the bottom power wise for better efficiency in the upper RPM's.

Hope to see you in the fall.

Mark
Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Or you can buy "The Great FE Intake Comparo" by Jay Brown:

The Great FE Intake Comparo

No affiliation. Great book.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!!

blykins.......I've got the hood clearance.......the Weiand 7282 is actually .300" shorter/lower at the carb flange than the Edel 7105 Perf RPM. I could probably run a 1/2" spacer and still be OK on height.

Lots of comments about the intake comparo book, looks like I'll have to check it out. Several of you may have the book, based on your comments. If anyone has it handy, is the Weiand 7282 really that low on the list on performance numbers?

TMark390, thanks for the kind words! Yeah, it was a bummer, but at least no one got hurt, with two cars going off track.

I'm still undecided on my build. I've got a NOS stock bore (4.05) D3TE service block, mirror 105, extra webbing, etc; its never been built, but I've got a friend with a lead on a 427 block. No details yet, we don't even know if it is a center oiler or side oiler.

More to come.

Again, thanks for the comments!

Joe

FFR#6143 Mk III: FE 462" w/four 48 IDA Weber's w/TKO 600 .82, IRS w/3.27, 17" Team III's w/245/45's & 315/35's. Gas N's.

First start May 12, '10
Painted Nov 2015

'05 Harley Wide Glide (60 hp stock, now 107 hp & 107 ft/lbs at wheel. Mid 11's in the 1/4 mi.)
Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideglidejoe View Post
If anyone has it handy, is the Weiand 7282 really that low on the list on performance numbers?
Tested on a 428CJ w/410 HP and Torque and a 390 Stroker, the Weiand 7282 finished last in Torque and 2nd & 3rd to last on HP covering about 30-50 intake manifolds for those two engines. So it "finished poorly."

It appears that the plenum divider is not complete, because of two large holes (1.5" X 4") are cast into the divider. "The large holes essentially turn the plenum of this manifold into a single space, rather than a split plenum..." And "large plenums have been associated with loss of midrange."
Old 06-29-2012, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Somehow I didn't see the part about you having a Performer RPM and a Weiand....

I'd use the Performer RPM. Sweet intake. I just made 575hp and 630 lb-ft of torque with one on a 482.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks again for the replies and info!

Thanks to ALL of you who replied in this thread!

From my most recent post;

RodKnock, thanks for referencing your book for me, that helps!

blykins......Brent, isn't it? Thanks for the clarification, I'll use the RPM. Now all I need is a 482 or 496 to put it on. I'm still chasing a lead on a 427 block, otherwise I'll be building a 445 FE.

Thanks to all,

Have a great 4th!!
Joe

First start May 12, '10
Painted Nov 2015

Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Joe, just to give you a spread;

This is on Jay's 446ci/390;
the 7282 made just over 430hp
the PI like mine was almost 480 which is exactly what my 462 made as well
the Sidewinder and Blue thunder 4Vs were about 495hp
the lowly Street Dominator was almost 500
the RPM was 505
the top dog for that engine with a 4V carb was a ported Victor @ almost 510hp

I just picked up a Street Dominator to replace my PI for $175. If I already had an RPM, I'd be using it.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I'm running the Edelbrock Victor 427 on my Keith Craft 496 FE. I went with the single plane to kill some tork down low and move the power band up at a higher RPM. I have a solid roller cam in the car and 850 QF. Love it!!

BrotherDarkness likes this.