Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2014, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default Meatball thread

So I am looking to get into a cobra by spring. I am leaning towards a used Superformance, newer, say chassis number greater than 2000 lower miles.

When looking am finding lots of Roush 427 small blocks. Certainly nothing to sneeze at but I like the old school look of a big block. Obviously posting this in the FE forum will slant the replies.

Am I off to think this way?
Old 12-28-2014, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Congrats. I don't think you can go too far wrong with an SPF.

Fwiw. I have a couple of unsubstantiated theories on why the above is seemingly true.

1. Roush engines are questionable, and consume oil. Plenty written on this topic.
2. Most SPFs are built with sbf as opposed to FEs. This is because the factory recommend SBFs for thier cars, despite the fact that they can accept any engine.

Thems my thoughts.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Congrats. I don't think you can go too far wrong with an SPF.

Fwiw. I have a couple of unsubstantiated theories on why the above is seemingly true.

1. Roush engines are questionable, and consume oil. Plenty written on this topic.
2. Most SPFs are built with sbf as opposed to FEs. This is because the factory recommend SBFs for thier cars, despite the fact that they can accept any engine.

Thems my thoughts.
My thinking is make power with cubic inches. Lightens up on rpm and stress on the engine.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Big block FEs are as rare in an SPF as SBF Roush motors are in an ERA. You may want to look into an ERA if you want the best quality/bang for the buck used Cobra with a big block FE.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Big block FEs are as rare in an SPF as SBF Roush motors are in an ERA. You may want to look into an ERA if you want the best quality/bang for the buck used Cobra with a big block FE.
What concerns me about an ERA is I doan't know who made it.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
But they're out there... here's a nice FE powered SPF at $62k on Cobra Country.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When looking at ERAs you can examine the driver's side footbox tag. Series III cars are turn key ERA cars that were built by the factory. Even an SPF can't boast that as they only sell rollers. Series II builds (ERA) are factory assembled rollers for the most part and the Series I builds are the basic do it yourself kits.
CHANMADD likes this.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
When looking at ERAs you can examine the driver's side footbox tag. Series III cars are turn key ERA cars that were built by the factory. Even an SPF can't boast that as they only sell rollers. Series II builds (ERA) are factory assembled rollers for the most part and the Series I builds are the basic do it yourself kits.
... and I would call Bob up and ask him to pull the file on the ERA car and just confirm it all. A 100% turnkey from ERA will almost certainly have an FE in it (427 cars, that is), and the quality of the build will absolutely astound you.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
But they're out there... here's a nice FE powered SPF at $62k on Cobra Country.

wow - that's a killer buy. I can't believe it's still available, but I doubt it will be for long. I see it has only been listed for 18 days and it IS December, I suppose. If I were in the market for an FE powered SPF with super low miles, I would jump on this one!!!
Superformance MkIII 427SC Cobra, Indigo Blue, For Sale
Old 12-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DetroitBill -- before you write a check, do yourself a favor and go somewhere where you can see an SPF parked next to an ERA, CSX, or Kirkham. To some of us, and you may be one, there are differences in looks that you simply can't accept. On the other hand, I particularly like some of the looks of the FFR, even though they are really far afield from the classic Cobra lines. But what you don't want to do is to buy one car and then be staring at someone else's car wishing you had bought that manufacturer's shape.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... and I would call Bob up and ask him to pull the file on the ERA car and just confirm it all. A 100% turnkey from ERA will almost certainly have an FE in it (427 cars, that is), and the quality of the build will absolutely astound you.
I sure enjoyed mine!! Still kicking myself a bit for letting it go so cheap. Granted, it only had the 390 in it, but it sure was fun!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REE6C8GJt2I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REE6C8GJt2I[/ame]
RACERAL likes this.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Bill started off asking about cars, has decided on Superformance and seems to be now in between buying one already completed and buying a roller and doing the engine himself. To his credit he's gone through the process and so it wouldn't be fair to turn every one of his topics into "why are you buying that, buy this instead".

I think the big block vs small block is more of a religious issue. Well, cost too. The bored Windsors are relatively less expensive than any of the 427s, original or new build. Shelby Engines makes a bang up aluminum block side oiler but it's quite pricey.

There are lots of Roush stories in the forum. Mine is one. Mine was the 427IR fuel injection that took quite a bit of work to get to work properly at high altitude. Once I got the DFI system calibrated I liked the engine. Mine did not consume any oil let alone excessive oil, yet others have reported issues of excessive oil consumption and even nightmares about getting the engine fixed. Other builders here will do a Windsor 427. I won't get into who to recommend because I have no personal experience.

As a first time owner I'd strongly encourage you to look seriously at one of the cars on Cobra Country.

Good luck! You'll love the car. It is by far my favorite car I've ever owned.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Regarding purchase advice: At a minimum get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) by someone qualified to evaluate Cobra builds. There are a few here that could do that. I'm not talking about someone nearby that can just go and look at it to verify it is real and isn't a crumpled mass but someone that can truly inspect the car for quality of build and operation (that means driving it!)

Second, I would encourage you to accompany the inspector if at all possible if it is a car that you would buy if the inspector passes it.

It's much better to spend money on a trip than get a car that is a bust.

Again, good luck!
Old 12-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Detroit Bill -- go here: Compare car profiles and you can see the different side profiles of various cars. Personally, I think the look from behind is even more telling.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

FE engines are great. I love them and I have one, but an SBF is probably a better engine. Nothing wrong with a small block, but I don't think Roush is better than any well-built engine from a good builder, and it may be worse in many cases. Whatever you buy, spend the time and money to have the car and engine checked out carefully (leak down, etc.) if you can't do it yourself.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

I am sure everybody knows the MK4 Factory 5 cars body was digitized off of Dick Smiths #198 which was a REAL COBRA. SO Detroit Bill, If you should look at a MK4 I doubt you will find any with a FE motor. I have not but when I build my next one it will have a FE. Its sitting in the garage now. Just have to get the F5
The ERA with the FE seems to be the way to go for you.... It is among the VERY best IMHO. You will not go wrong. BUt whatever you do, take a seasoned VET Cobra guy with you to check it out. Have fun
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 12-28-2014, 07:25 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Detroit Bill -- go here: Compare car profiles and you can see the different side profiles of various cars.
I havent seen that page in a while. Some of those pictures are misleading.
They all need to be taken from the same height, distance and smack dab in the middle of the car, not to mention similar ride heights.

The ERA and CSX's are taken pretty good but the rest.... The above mentioned issues made the Kirkham look weird by comparo, too.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
I havent seen that page in a while. Some of those pictures are misleading.
They all need to be taken from the same height, distance and smack dab in the middle of the car, not to mention similar ride heights.

The ERA and CSX's are taken pretty good but the rest.... The above mentioned issues made the Kirkham look weird by comparo, too.
The intent behind that page is to simply raise the awareness of the viewer as to the differences between manufacturers. If a prospective buyer comes away from that page saying to himself "maybe I should actually see these cars in person before I buy" then it has achieved its goal. I know ERA has an uncomfortable wait time, but what about Kirkham? I know they technically don't do "turnkey cars," but how long does it take to get as much done as they will possibly do?
Old 12-29-2014, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
So I am looking to get into a cobra by spring. I am leaning towards a used Superformance, newer, say chassis number greater than 2000 lower miles.

When looking am finding lots of Roush 427 small blocks. Certainly nothing to sneeze at but I like the old school look of a big block. Obviously posting this in the FE forum will slant the replies.

Am I off to think this way?
I suspect that since you are asking this question, you may not be 100% satisfied with anything but an FE motor eventually. A 351 can be dressed up to resemble an FE and if all you want is the general appearance that may be enough. Every owner has their own level of obsession with originality from minimal to using straight slot trim screws just as AC did in building the originals. It's something you will eventually have to settle with yourself.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
A 351 can be dressed up to resemble an FE and if all you want is the general appearance that may be enough.
Uhhh, no matter how much lipstick you slap on that pig, the "oink" is still gonna give her away.