Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   FE shop in CT (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/141925-fe-shop-ct.html)

sea2jet 01-14-2019 06:33 AM

FE shop in CT

Anyone have a suggestion for a good shop that can do in car repairs, possibly an intake gasket? I have been trying to get into Cobra Automotive for months. Jannetty did look at it and tried a couple of things but didn’t fix the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...

patrickt 01-14-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea2jet (Post 1456686)
Anyone have a suggestion for a good shop that can do in car repairs, possibly an intake gasket? I have been trying to get into Cobra Automotive for months. Jannetty did look at it and tried a couple of things but didn’t fix the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...

You're a little over an hour away from Danbury Competition Engines. Joe has built more FE engines than a dog has fleas, including mine. Although Ellie has no fleas.:cool:

sea2jet 01-14-2019 07:27 AM

Thanks Patrick, I’m not sure if he does in car repairs but it’s worth a call. Any other suggestions?

patrickt 01-14-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea2jet (Post 1456690)
Thanks Patrick, I’m not sure if he does in car repairs but it’s worth a call. Any other suggestions?

If it's just an intake gasket, no one's going to pull the engine out for that. In fact, even head off work in a late model ERA lends itself to leaving the engine in the car. So, if it's a oil suck problem, or a coolant or oil getting by the gasket problem, that should be a relatively quick fix for a shop like his.

sea2jet 01-14-2019 07:51 AM

Great suggestion Patrick. I called DCE and Jeff in the back of the shop can work on the car. I’m bringing it to them on Wednesday. Thanks, Mike

1985 CCX 01-14-2019 09:29 AM

One stop

Cobra Automotive

sea2jet 01-14-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 CCX (Post 1456707)
One stop

Cobra Automotive

I can’t even get in the door at Cobra Automotive. I have been trying since last September. Every time I call I get put off. Now it’s we can possibly work on it in the Spring. Business must be good.

Spyglass 01-14-2019 02:28 PM

Try Dan Delena at Dalena Auto Parts in New Britain

sea2jet 01-14-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyglass (Post 1456726)
Try Dan Delena at Dalena Auto Parts in New Britain

Dan built my engine. I also had one other ERA#495 with one of his engines in it.
He sure builds a nice motor, that’s for sure. Unfortunately he doesn’t have the space to work on the motor while it’s in a car. He’s the first person I called. Thanks for the suggestion though.

66AC 01-15-2019 07:55 AM

Try Automotive Restorations in Stratford. They have their own engine shop, upholstery, metal, alloy, paint and general repair. Go to the front desk and ask for Jim Coleman who runs the engine shop. Highly recommended.

Automotive Restorations, Inc.

Racer0918 01-28-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea2jet (Post 1456693)
Great suggestion Patrick. I called DCE and Jeff in the back of the shop can work on the car. I’m bringing it to them on Wednesday. Thanks, Mike

How did you make out with Jeff at Danbury Competition engines with the motor work on your FE?

sea2jet 01-29-2019 05:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff was wonderful to work with and having Joe at Danbury Competition Engines in the same building worked out great in my case. It was found that someone used synthetic oil for the break in, which in turn glazed the cylinders. Know I know why the car had such low mileage on it. Jeff honed and re-ringed the motor. The builder used a gapless design on the 2nd ring which caused flutter. That was changed back to standard style rings. While it was apart, the heads went to the machine shop to be freshened up. New rod bearings installed and back together it went. We picked up 100 HP at the wheels on Jeff's chassis dyno. The dual 4 barrel setup was never adjusted right and was only getting half throttle. Jeff really knows his stuff and I highly recommend him. All this work was accomplished in one week. Anywhere else, I would still be waiting for the parts to come back from a backlogged machine shop. Thanks for referring me Patrick. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

rads42 01-29-2019 06:42 AM

Great to hear, I'm in CT too so I was following this post. I don't need any work currently but I'm sure I will have something I can't/don't want to do myself at some point.

P.S. Your car is beautiful, I love the color.

sea2jet 01-29-2019 06:46 AM

Thanks....It is Ford Merlot Red. Really a unique color that changes depending on the light.

patrickt 01-29-2019 08:58 AM

Yep, that is a pretty nice looking car.:cool:

dce 08-12-2022 07:21 PM

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I am the new manager of Danbury Competition Engine. We now are one company with Danbury Chassis dyno services. Jeff now works for DCE and leads the dyno tuning. Our goal in joining together was to further improve the already good situation between the two shops. By becoming one business, we now formally can handle all work under one roof and serve customers even more efficiently. We are dedicated to the highest quality possible as always and we are growing.

I hope we can be of help to those in our area in need of services for their Cobras.

Jim
203 748 7356

patrickt 08-13-2022 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dce (Post 1509353)
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I am the new manager of Danbury Competition Engine. We now are one company with Danbury Chassis dyno services. Jeff now works for DCE and leads the dyno tuning. Our goal in joining together was to further improve the already good situation between the two shops. By becoming one business, we now formally can handle all work under one roof and serve customers even more efficiently. We are dedicated to the highest quality possible as always and we are growing.

I hope we can be of help to those in our area in need of services for their Cobras.

Jim
203 748 7356

Is Joe still running the show at DCE or has he retired? He built a lot of our engines around here.;)

Imdpop168 08-13-2022 05:59 AM

Fe

Rollins Customized Automotive
68 King Spring Rd
Windsor Locks CT
860-292-1441

Rusty is a great guy, one trip through his shop and youlike realize that this is the place for your car.
I've been going there for 15 years. He just did the intake on my 67 Shell Valley Cobra 428 SCJ.

Good luck,

Steve H.

dce 08-13-2022 08:09 AM

Joe is retired. The same staff who built the engines are still here and we are adding more members to the team as we go. We have a good blend now of the same staff and new guys coming up to keep this going. We have 4 427's going together now. The latest was an aluminum Shelby block version with Trick flow heads.

davids2toys 08-14-2022 08:49 AM

Great thread and nice to know this info on DCE. I am only 25 minutes from them and one of these day I will probably need their services. Nice to know that you are that happy and that they are very competent to handle any task FE related! You must be thrill at how the car is running now. Nobody ever wanted to listen to me in the past when I advised them to do the first 1oK miles on regular oil and then switch to full syn!
Thanks...Dave