Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   427 engine build (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/145956-427-engine-build.html)

MGP69stang 05-31-2022 09:28 AM

427 engine build

427 for New Cobra build.. looking for suggestions/list of components, more torque oriented but with cam sound..450-475hp..not stroked
cast iron block, stock crank, hyd rollers, TFS heads, webers,

Grubby 05-31-2022 10:53 AM

Brent Lykins (Lykins Motorsports) can give solid advice and sell you the parts at a competitive price.

He builds engines to.

John

MGP69stang 05-31-2022 11:07 AM

Ok.. not planning to build myself ..trying to see if anybody has built a 427 more for
street-ability/torque 450-475hp but having that cam sound also

CCKW353 05-31-2022 12:10 PM

Brent built me a great 427 Sideoiler for the street. As noted he is good source to speak with and get drivetrain parts. We had long conversations about intended usage, gearing, trans to be used etc. before he built mine. Worth call in my opinion. My motor is 480 HP / 490 lbs of torque if I recall correctly.

patrickt 05-31-2022 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGP69stang (Post 1506911)
Ok.. not planning to build myself ..trying to see if anybody has built a 427 more for
street-ability/torque 450-475hp but having that cam sound also

Forgetting actual power numbers for a second, and going solely with sound, it's hard to beat a solid flat tappet cam with a healthy dose of overlap. This is what mine sounds like, you might like it, or you might not. Click here: ERA 732 Engine Sounds Picking the right side pipes also plays a role in how your engine sounds, both at idle and under acceleration. You don't want them too loud, but you want them loud enough. All of these things you have to tell your engine builder. And then discuss it with him after you've told him kind of what you want.

eschaider 05-31-2022 12:23 PM

Which Cobra did you buy MGP69stang?

patrickt 05-31-2022 01:13 PM

Now, if you're curious, my cam is a 60 year old technology Ford “K” cam, and it is installed with a 109 ICL and has a LSA of 114 degrees and 245 degrees of both intake and exhaust duration when measured at .050”. It is one step milder than the cam used in their hi-riser engines, that had the same lobe specifications, but a tighter LSA, which made it a bit rougher.

Here is the graph of the specs. Now remember, cams have come a long way since 1963 and someone like Brent L. could whip up a cam that will beat mine in every way. But, I picked this cam for the sound, the smell and it performs quite well and is not a horrific bear when I'm caught in traffic. It's lightly rough in traffic but not terribly. And I chose it after talking it all over with my builder. Yes, a cam has a smell. A cam has a soul. And a cam has the ability to reach out and grab you. In choosing what goes in your FE, it is maybe the most important parts choice you make. But, if you make a mistake you can always replace it, so don't sweat it. Just try and get it right the first time.:cool:

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._Installed.jpg

mrmustang 05-31-2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaider (Post 1506918)
Which Cobra did you buy MGP69stang?

Reading his posts, I believe he is in the "paper" stage of cobra ownership so far. Still trying to put figures together so he can create a realistic budget.

Bill S.

MGP69stang 05-31-2022 02:34 PM

I don’t own a cobra.. seriously considering one now.. Unique or ERA

MGP69stang 05-31-2022 02:54 PM

I can say that the Cobra build is beginning to ad up$ a lot

twobjshelbys 05-31-2022 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGP69stang (Post 1506925)

Then multiply by 1.5 or 2.

Alfa02 05-31-2022 03:41 PM

As Tony (twobjshelby) said $ 1.5-2X's, same with time frame

twobjshelbys 05-31-2022 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1506927)
As Tony (twobjshelby) said $ 1.5-2X's, same with time frame

In the end, most kits are never finished.

If you are in to tinkering and fabrication you should build a kit. But it will take longer and cost more than you think. And the inevitable "customizations" (deeper foot well, passenger roll bar, etc) add to that expense and time even more since custom fabrication is needed.

If you want to drive a Cobra just buy one and enjoy it 3 to 5 years before your kit will ever be done.

If you're on a budget and think you can save money by building one think that over carefully by recalling how many unfinished kits are sold here for pennies on the dollar.

Good luck whatever direction you take.

patrickt 05-31-2022 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGP69stang (Post 1506925)

The cobra hobby is not for the faint of checkbook.:LOL: If you go for a complete turnkey ERA, with that nicely built side oiler, and it's decked out with all the trimmings that you really want, you will be lighter by six figures when it's all said and done.

fordracing65 05-31-2022 05:18 PM

Buy used.

MGP69stang 05-31-2022 05:36 PM

No ERA or Unique for sale

Alfa02 05-31-2022 06:05 PM

Maybe contact Bring-a-Trailer about this one?? It's worth a shot. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...cobra-replica/

patrickt 05-31-2022 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1506939)
... It's worth a shot.

Uhhhh, no. Not unless his brother-in-law owns a paint and body shop.:cool:

Alfa02 05-31-2022 06:15 PM

Another one, that went to me, pretty cheap. Unique & ERA Cobras seem to show up on BaT quite regularly, I agree with everyone here, buy your first one (Used) Time & Money saved. Trust me, it's way more fun driving than building, I've done both ;) @Patrickt, just to paint it from yellow to BEIGE ;) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/un...cobra-replica/

patrickt 05-31-2022 06:19 PM

But he's already got a 427FE that's just crying out for Cobra body to be stuffed into. Now is not the time to pinch pennies or go used. As we like to say, it's time to go big or go home. After all, you can't take it with you.:cool: