Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2002, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Genesis Block

Does anyone have any experience witht he Genesis blocks?

How about the weight savings and advantage/disadvantages of the aluminum vs. Iron block?

How does the Genesis block compare with the Shelby Block?

Finally, what about reliability?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 07-23-2002, 10:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aluminum block is at least a hundred pounds lighter, I think. But Genesis could give you the exact number.

Pretty hard to comment on reliability since the block has only been in production for a short while.

George Anderson has some experience already with these blocks, I think, but I'm not positive.

TT
Old 07-23-2002, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

An aluminum engine block has got to be the most expensive way to save < 100 lbs.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Mr. Fixit, You're a Spoil Sport.

Don't forget about the all important, yet intangible, aluminum block panache! More seriously, it does help handling because the weight is saved at the front half of the car...sort of like small block handling with big block size, I guess? Anyway, there ain't one on my immediate event horizon, that's for sure.

TT
Old 07-23-2002, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

An aluminum block will give you small block balance/weight with big block performance.

And if you are in the market for a block to begin with,then the price is not as steep as it seems with the current price of USABLE S/O blocks.

I regret not buying the Shelby block.And yes,even though i think Carroll Shelby is a puckering sphincter of titanic proportions,the block is made by Arias.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Has Genesis actually produced a block that someone has purchased and finished into a real engine? I have been unable to find ANYONE who has taken delivery on a block much less actually built an engine. If anyone ACTUALLY has one of these blocks let's hear from you.

(I don't think anyone will reply)
Old 07-26-2002, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I saw one in the flesh at the Columbus all Ford sho, last spring.The cat building them is a straight up guy. He ain't no big time millionaire, just a little guy trying to fill a need in the market place. Lots of development goes into making something like this. If he were to release it ,and have a bunch of problems, then all his work would go down the$hit tube, dudes start bad mouthing him. It's real close, and it will be rite when he starts selling them .
Old 07-26-2002, 08:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,

Touching on a subject near the top of my wish list. There are two of the shelby AL blocks here in the BACC. One is installed in a black SPF that one of the fastest runners on the track at SEARS Point , Thunderhill etc. driven by Mike B. Mike has spent a great deal of time building his driving skills and the car stand up to anything he wants it to do. It is currently torn down to put in a lighter rotating assembly, recarb, oiling to turn at 7k RPM etc. Mike runs it on the street with the hooisers.

The other posts here as Gumball and he has the AL block installed in a CSX4000 fiberglass bodied car. Beautiful car and John is still in the midst of killing off the last of the bugs that inevitably crop up in a new Cobra. John is driving it on the street a lot and starting to get track training for some of the High Speed Driving Events ( The words you use for racing when you talk to your insurance agent).

Hopefully one or both of these guys will give some input to this thread. I see the goal of the AL, block built the right way as 289 weight and ability to turn high RPM with 427/454 (stroked) horsepower and torque. Large rotating mass torque....low residual weight over the front wheels.

Genesis ????? not heard good or bad about them but, if it is new block hopefully it has the engineering to become a factor in the market. As mentioned above ARIAS builds the Shelby block and I have heard it is an exclusive contract.

Tony R.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-Aluminum 484 FE
Not Ranked     

I have Shelby block #98. Built the engine myself in my garage at home. I have had the engine in the car for a couple of years now.
I will be glad to answer any questions that I can about an aluminum FE.

Wayne Turpin
Old 07-28-2002, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Call Don Borders of IMAGE AUTO WORKS in Palm Springs, CA 760-200-5882. His shop builds cobras all the time and quite a few have the Shelby engines in them.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:22 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

I have Shleby block #146 with about 1300 miles on it and I can tell you one advantage of the engine... it runs very cool (temperature).

The cast iron engine that is built almost exactly like mine runs quite hot but I am lucky to get the car over 85 C on a hot day

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...

Last edited by James Baldwin; 07-29-2002 at 09:27 PM..