Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2003, 07:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default FE lifter question??

After 550 miles my rod bearings went south. My builder has said he would fix everything and blamed it on oil pressure loss on start up.
After looking at the How to rebuild Big-Block Ford Engine, I have a few questions that need to be cleared up. The builder installed solid lifters, the book say on page 32 and 63 that if you install solids in any hyd lifter engine you need to block off the lifter galleries, one above center gallery and one below.failure to do so could cause early engine failure. A High Vol pump is installed, all the oil galleries have been reamed and inlarged. By not having this extra set of plugs installed could it have been the grelim for bearing failure. Did a search and someone said a H/V oil pump would prevent this.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

As I understand it Fred, those need to be blocked off especially if you are using the lifters that sorta look like an hour glass. I think I remember hearing that if you're using shell lifters then a problem is less or not likely. The others would bleed off too much oil. George or someone will likely answer soon with solid answers, but I think I'm close.

By the way Fred, I am very sorry to hear about this. Is he going to get you squared away soon?
Old 06-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

From the federal-mogul site....

http://website.federal-mogul.com/cda...3_6915,00.html

Quote:
When using solid or roller lifters in these engines it is common to block off or restrict the oiling to the lifter galleys. The factory 427’s with solid lifters did not directly oil the lifters, so this should not be a problem. Another frequently seen oiling modification is matching of the main oil passages to the holes in the bearings.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

And don't forget the two in front, behind the timing cover, did you not check your oil pressure before starting?.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I recently went through a similar situation w/ my FE 428 CJ. My problem was self induced by the oil filter adapter plate being insalled incorrectly. I now have about 900 miles on my new engine of which about 250 miles were ran on a race track. I have a System One filter that I have checked after two oil changes and I have found no debris from bearings or abnormal amounts of wear.

I am running a Comp Cam and Comp solid lifters. When my engine builder rebuilt my engine he not only restricted the oil to my lifter galleries but also restricted the oil to each head and increased the size of the oil return in the corner of my heads. He also enlarged the holes to my oil filter. I am running a M57-HV oil pump that we put in a larger spring for additional oil pressure. My oil pressure at idle is about 30-35 pounds and as high as 80 pounds at 5500 RPMs.

Engine Break In is so important during the first hour or so be sure and not let your RPMS drop below 1500 for at least the first 30 minutes of its life.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"