Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2003, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Engine Recommendation wanted

I have wanted to build a cobra for 20 years. I really would like to get the engine as close to the 427 side oiler as possible but I am not rich. It sounds like it is almost impossible to find a 427 block or even a 428. I have seen some 390's that maybe could be bored to close to 427 but I think they are all 2 bolt mains and although I want it to be streetable, I do want to push the HP. I even considered trying to add 4 bolt mains to a 390 but discussions indicate this isn't worth it. I may not have complete information but I am getting frustrated.

Before I give up and change my project to a 302 or maybe a non-FE big block, I thought I would ask the guys who know. What would you do and where would you find it taking into consideration the cost?
Old 09-13-2003, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA / nascar side oiler
Not Ranked     

I did the 390+ thing , no regrets ! I did use a recomended FE builder thought !
about 400 hp , 5500 bucks Carb to pan , water pump to clutch .
What was nice is it was safer to drive then this thing I wanted to try . (Side oiler
which was not needed , my car use to go straight with the 390+)
From what I understand , try to get a" new build "not ove 30 bored , so you don't get into over heating issues
Both engines were built by Danburry Comp in Conn . A local Builder to ERA
Have fun , Just start with a good FE builder ! The ones on this site rate !
John
Old 09-13-2003, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

You can still find a nice complete 428. They are out there you just need to be careful what your looking at. The 427's are getting expensive but can still be found. A 427 marine engine is an option but again you have the corrosion factor from the salt water. FYI I've got a NOS 428 block i'm selling if your looking for a new build. Don't give up they are still around watch e-bay for prices to give you an idea. Also the www.feforum.com is a great place for info and parts also. Thats where I found my FE 406 tripower engine for a great price. Good luck, Glenn.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did they convert it to a 4 bolt or stick with the 2 bolt?
Old 09-13-2003, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The 406 was untouched with the 2 bolt mains but has the knorbs for the crossbolts. I'm in the process of crossbolting the block. I've got a set of 427 caps i'm using. G.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

WannaCobrabe,
there are several replica Cobras out there with 2-bolt 390s/406s in them. 450hp is no problem with some decent cylinder heads, porting, port matching, etc... They rev, sound great, look right in a 427 bodied replica. A great value if you must have an FE in your future Cobra. Good Luck.

Last edited by decooney; 09-13-2003 at 08:32 AM..
Old 09-13-2003, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

I talked to Joe at Danbury the other day about a 428.I'm interested in a mild(400hp) engine with alloy heads.It sounds like it can be done for about 10k( with clutch,bellhousing,pulleys,carb his estimate was $9500)You would need to add alternator,starter,and expansion tank.A 351w stroked to 427ci by Roush or Coast will cost about the same.I'm interested only in a nice,easy to maintain engine with a little bump at idle so it sounds great at the stoplights.I don't intend to ever race my car and that is what has influenced my decision.The 428's are still out there and available!
Old 09-13-2003, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Southern Automotive 351C, Toploader
Not Ranked     

My understanding is that the 427 block in cast or aluminum is being manufactured again. I'll see if I can confirm it.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Take a look at http://www.southernautomotiveengines.com/ I bought a 406/430 hp, cross bolt main, balanced and blue printed, 427 aluminum heads, ported/polished, Crane cam... and the list goes on.
Good luck.

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/