Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2003, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: former Unique289
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Side Oiler vs Top Oiler

Here we go... which is better? stronger? more durable? differences +/- ??
Old 10-11-2003, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why Chill? Your a SB (Small Balls) guy.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chill,

A center oiler has no superior aspects to a side oiler, exept being somewhat less expensive.

For street use, a center oiler probably has no inferior aspects either.

KK
Old 10-11-2003, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cracker...SB...funny guy...

...you just never know when that next project calls....
Old 10-11-2003, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The side-oiler might be better if the rumors of more extensive quality control checks at the factory are true. Better checking for thin points in cylinder walls, possibly.

Otherwise, as long as they're both seasoned blocks and not NOS ones that've been hanging off an engine stand for the last 30 years, they should be pretty equivalent today. All the crossbolting, and even the oiling pattern can be duplicated and bettered today given access to a good FE shop.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Clyde, I know where there's a brand new side oiler block still in the original factory crate. Be the first on your block!
Old 10-11-2003, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

The main difference in Center Oilers vs Side oilers is that the Side Oilers oiling system was radically redesigned to oil the main bearings first, then the cam bearings, instead of the other way around.

The main "advantage"?

............Bragging rights

Bud
Old 10-12-2003, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

TR... new... 427 block? Its not chrome is it???
Old 10-12-2003, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

You guys are killing me. But wait, twill be I who walks away with the Cobrachrome award at the next cruise in. It's also killing me getting on a plane while John is doing surgery on my ride. Oh well, it will give me an opportunity to put my mind off of where I am.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

Here's my fourbits worth.

When the 427 first came out (center oiler) it had a bad habit of spinning bearings and losing #7 rod through the side of the block. Not a good thing for NASCAR racing.

The side oiler, as stated above oils the crank first. A perfect fix? No, just a lot better. The crankshaft was redesigned also and used screw in plugs on the rod throws instead of soft plugs and snaprings.

The side oiler was a complete package, not just a different block. Medium riser heads, LeMans capscrew rods, sidewinder manifolds and better camshaft profiles were the main differences.

Ford still had a weakness for sodium-filled valves though and a good many engines were destroyed by the valves losing their heads. Notably, this happened when the engines had sat for extended periods.

Now with all of this blather, I would share that I've made use of both engines and can safely say, you won't be able to tell the difference in a street driven car, uless you insist on free winding the engine to 8 grand in your driveway.

Given today's technology for hard parts such as rod bolts, rocker arm geometry, cam profiles, stainless steel valves and particularly....today's engine lubricants, either of these engines will make a Cobra scoot quite nicely thank you very much!

I had a real Side Oiler in my car, but truthfully it had a lot more to do with braggin' rights than anything else. A little peace of mind didn't hurt either....I did some dumb stuff and abused the engine at times, but it never whimpered.

Al

Last edited by A Snake; 10-12-2003 at 01:56 PM..