Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   fe motor mount selection ??? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/57445-fe-motor-mount-selection.html)

elgecko 09-07-2004 07:12 PM

fe motor mount selection ???

1 Attachment(s)
HI
Can someone help me with a selection of a motor mount for this type of pedestal mount ??? I am using a 390 fe that has 3 bolts that holds the mount to the block and a single threaded stud that extends thru the "rubber".
The hole in the pedestal base is threaded. What is the procedure of mounting a motor mount to this pedestal ? or do I need a different mount?
Lots of questions and no nearby original Cobras to look at. I will TRY to load a pic to look at. If not.... there is one in my gallery.
Thanks
Dave

Clois Harlan 09-08-2004 05:42 AM

Dave,

I am sure your mount will work but I used a U shaped mount about 4" ear to ear. Mine is a two piece design that I bought from NAPA. My frame mount is a bracket that incorporates a 1/2" tube that my u bracket straddles. I run a 7/16" bolt through from the ear to ear through the frame tube. For 5 years it has worked quite well.

Sorry I couldn't help with your particular motor mount. However, if I am not mistaken there were several applications that used your type of motor mount (390 Mustang-Pickups-heavy pass cars).

Clois

ccomt 09-08-2004 06:05 AM

Clois,

Would you happen to know the NAPA part number for the mount that you are using? I'm trying to install a 427 FE in a chassis that has frame mounts like yours and I can't identify the correct motor mount.

Thanks!

rms427 09-08-2004 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found a 66 ford big block mount at the local parts store that looked right but did not work. I got several from several different local stores plus a set from Motorsports International. They all were close but did not work. I finally found a pair of original old stock units that worked. From what I understand there were some differences in the original mounts. I have included a picture of the mounts that didn't work. I will also send a picture of the mount that worked. I had changed the mounts earlier and bought a set directly from Ford so I didn't expect any problem and so I had tossed the old units before I tried the new ones.

Have fun, Ray

rms427 09-08-2004 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the one that worked. I don't know why there should be such a difference since I think both are supposed to be for the same application.

Have fun, Ray

rms427 09-08-2004 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the two mounts with the studs lined up. This shows the difference. Also notice that I had to grind off a corner of the mount to make it work on my side oiler block.

Have fun, Ray

feguy 09-08-2004 09:20 AM

I believe the mounts that work are out of a 61-62 Galaxie big block car. You can purchase them through Napa or even Kragens.
Good Luck, Tom

elgecko 09-08-2004 09:48 AM

Thanks guys.
All the responses will keep me busy. NAPA seems to be a good place to start.
Dave

jdog 09-08-2004 10:30 AM

Mine Too!

Thanks Tom,
We had better get a set of these for my car also.
Talk to you soon

jdog:)

Clois Harlan 09-08-2004 10:58 AM

Dave, ccomt

Tom is correct because that is the year of the motor mounts that I ended up buying. Be prepared the boys at NAPA will need to look them up in their catalogue (these were not on their computer when I bought mine) and it took a while so don't go in on Saturday morning about 9:00 and expect to be out of there in 10 minutes. Jus kidding.

Good luck,

Clois

SFfiredog 09-08-2004 12:18 PM

Anchor or Doan part # 2110 and #2141 will work just fine for you

Application is '60 thru '64 full size Ford