Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-07-2004, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     
Question fe motor mount selection ???

HI
Can someone help me with a selection of a motor mount for this type of pedestal mount ??? I am using a 390 fe that has 3 bolts that holds the mount to the block and a single threaded stud that extends thru the "rubber".
The hole in the pedestal base is threaded. What is the procedure of mounting a motor mount to this pedestal ? or do I need a different mount?
Lots of questions and no nearby original Cobras to look at. I will TRY to load a pic to look at. If not.... there is one in my gallery.
Thanks
Dave
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2004, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Dave,

I am sure your mount will work but I used a U shaped mount about 4" ear to ear. Mine is a two piece design that I bought from NAPA. My frame mount is a bracket that incorporates a 1/2" tube that my u bracket straddles. I run a 7/16" bolt through from the ear to ear through the frame tube. For 5 years it has worked quite well.

Sorry I couldn't help with your particular motor mount. However, if I am not mistaken there were several applications that used your type of motor mount (390 Mustang-Pickups-heavy pass cars).

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 09-08-2004, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM Replica, 427 s/o, Vette suspension
Not Ranked     

Clois,

Would you happen to know the NAPA part number for the mount that you are using? I'm trying to install a 427 FE in a chassis that has frame mounts like yours and I can't identify the correct motor mount.

Thanks!
*** OF GREAT WORTH *** And JESUS asked again, “The Kingdom of GOD, how shall we think about it, and to what can it be compared? Is it not like a Dark blue 427 Cobra, which a man found parked on his street one day? He hurried off and sold all that he had; the ’57 Thunderbird, the ’63 Stingray, the XKE, and bought the dark blue 427 Cobra.” The disciples frowned and scraped their feet; JESUS grinned and popped the clutch. --- Harris Wolfe
Old 09-08-2004, 08:54 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

I found a 66 ford big block mount at the local parts store that looked right but did not work. I got several from several different local stores plus a set from Motorsports International. They all were close but did not work. I finally found a pair of original old stock units that worked. From what I understand there were some differences in the original mounts. I have included a picture of the mounts that didn't work. I will also send a picture of the mount that worked. I had changed the mounts earlier and bought a set directly from Ford so I didn't expect any problem and so I had tossed the old units before I tried the new ones.

Have fun, Ray
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

Here is the one that worked. I don't know why there should be such a difference since I think both are supposed to be for the same application.

Have fun, Ray
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Here are the two mounts with the studs lined up. This shows the difference. Also notice that I had to grind off a corner of the mount to make it work on my side oiler block.

Have fun, Ray
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2004, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I believe the mounts that work are out of a 61-62 Galaxie big block car. You can purchase them through Napa or even Kragens.
Good Luck, Tom
FE Specialties Your West coast FE source. We build FEs with todays technology, not circa 1970. We can supply you with any type of engine and drive train parts. From mild to wild. We engineer engines, not just throw parts at them. I currently am campaigning a 67 coupe that has C4AE-G iron heads, full interior, 3300 lbs. 10.51 @ 130.5mph. 665 HP(revised) with 11.6 to 1 comp. single 4 barrel.
Thanks Much. Tom
Old 09-08-2004, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.
All the responses will keep me busy. NAPA seems to be a good place to start.
Dave
Old 09-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Default Mine Too!

Thanks Tom,
We had better get a set of these for my car also.
Talk to you soon

jdog
Old 09-08-2004, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Dave, ccomt

Tom is correct because that is the year of the motor mounts that I ended up buying. Be prepared the boys at NAPA will need to look them up in their catalogue (these were not on their computer when I bought mine) and it took a while so don't go in on Saturday morning about 9:00 and expect to be out of there in 10 minutes. Jus kidding.

Good luck,

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 09-08-2004, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anchor or Doan part # 2110 and #2141 will work just fine for you

Application is '60 thru '64 full size Ford