Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2005, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #164 427 Med Rise Side-Oiler, 4 Speed Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Identifying a 428?

I'm trying to identify an engine that has been sitting in my dad's garage for about 16 years.

I remember that he considered putting it in what is now his 427SC. He built his ERA with authenticity in mind which leads me to believe that it must be a 428 (the only other engine that would be "authentic"). Any easy way to identify it for a novice in the field? And...

After 16 years of sitting (properly stored) what kind of maintenance would it require to get into running condition? None, some, or a complete rebuild?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

You can get the cast number off of the side of the block....then post it here. We can tell you what engine it is.

Was it running before the 16 years....? Or has it been sitting longer than that and has just been sitting in the garage for 16 years?

There are proper ways of storing an engine....but 16 years without firing is a long time. I would say that the seals have gone the way of the earth.....and depending on how sealed the engine is....there may or may not be some minor surface rust on the cylinder walls and piston rings....along with bearing & journal surfaces.

If it were me, I'd at least pull the pan and heads off and take a look around. I'd probably go ahead and freshen it up.....new seals, rings, bearings. If it's an original engine and has never been gone through, I'd go through it...check cylinder wall surfaces, meausure crank journals, rod journals, change pistons/rings, etc.

Usually when engines are stored for that long, they usually pull the plugs, pour oil down into the cylinders and replace the plugs just so the cylinders won't rust.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile 428

PULL ONE OF THE HEADS AND MEASURE THE BORE AND STROKE. THE MOTOR WILL NEED A REBUILD AFTER 16 YEARS OF SITTING.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #164 427 Med Rise Side-Oiler, 4 Speed Toploader
Not Ranked     

Alright. The cast # is C8SE-6059B. I googled it but got conflicting information so I'll let somebody with more experience clarify it.

16 years is all the history I have for the motor. Before then I don't know where it was, or what it was doing (sitting, running, etc.). I'm sure if I try to get it into running condition I'll just rebuild it since it could only help.

Thanks. For the help so far.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none at this time
Not Ranked     

I'm not an expert but; C is for 60's, and the 8 is the year-1968. the S means Thunderbird (had 390 and 428, I think). The E is for engine group. The 6059 is a casting number that just tells you it is a block, I don't think they were displacement specific. The B is a "change level", the part has had a design change since it was originally engineered.
Perhaps someone else has a little more knowledge of Ford's numbering system.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

I have a 68 428. Without going into the motor and looking at the bore, stroke or crank serial it will be hard to tell for sure. By chance is there a welded "A" or "C" on the back of the block? Not all 428's had them but it may help in identifing the block. Also check under the front of the drivers side head for a flat spot where the partial VIN would be. They started putting VINs on the block in late 68. You may get some motor info from it.

--Mike
Old 02-15-2005, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

You might want to re-check those #'s and also get some #'s off the heads. I don't list any T-bird (S) specific block casting numbers in 1968. C3SE (or 1963) was the only S block I find listed. Also 1968 was the first year of the 429 so it might be one of those. All FE engines ,which the 390/428 would fall into, have part of the intake manifold that is covered by the valve cover. If it doesn't have that it's something other than an FE. some intake/exhaust/head casting #'s would go a long way in pinpointing the engine you have.

Last edited by Woodz428; 02-15-2005 at 06:10 AM..
Old 02-15-2005, 05:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
The breakdown above that is is a 1968 engine is correct. But as to wheather it is a 390, 428, or whatever, unless it is of the 385 series will require you measuring the bore and stroke to be certain.Since the engine has set this long, you should take it apart anyway so that is just something that will be easy to do. Another quick way to tell if it is an FE eingine is that most of them has the number 352 cast into the block up front. I am not sure what it means, but I have had that number on every FE engine I have owned from the 332 P.I. to the 427 tunnel port.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-15-2005, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

That's the casting number on the timing cover with the 6059. It has it's own casting number as most engine parts do. Check for the casting number on the side of the block. Also below the oil filter adapter mounting pad is the date code for the block. Look for a number/letter/number(s) sequence. Also on the heads between the center two spark plugs you will find the head casting number. Above it under the valve cover is the date code with the same sequence as the block #'s. Check to find these if possible. Good chance you will need to measure the bore and stroke as the FE used the same casting numbers on several different blocks but some stand out as paticular applications. Good luck, G.