Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: unique 427
Not Ranked     
Default fe tune help

I have a 427 center oiler in my car and I love it, but lately it seem to sputter if I try to stomp on it. I replaced the plugs which looked to be burning good, and it seemed to help for a bit then it started doing it again. This is the first fe I have messed with so any help would be appreciated. The build up is a 66 CO block displacing 454 CI. it has edelbrock heads which I believe are stock with no mods, a 750 single pump carb and dual plane edelbrock intake. I have MSD 6al box, MSD dist. taylor wires the cap and rotor look good. I am thinking mabey a fuel problem??I am using a mechanical pump.The charging system is working well But I am still not completely ruling out an ignition problem. It does almost feel like a miss. PLMK if anyone has any ideas.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlbsnake
I have a 427 center oiler in my car and I love it, but lately it seem to sputter if I try to stomp on it. I replaced the plugs which looked to be burning good, and it seemed to help for a bit then it started doing it again. This is the first fe I have messed with so any help would be appreciated. The build up is a 66 CO block displacing 454 CI. it has edelbrock heads which I believe are stock with no mods, a 750 single pump carb and dual plane edelbrock intake. I have MSD 6al box, MSD dist. taylor wires the cap and rotor look good. I am thinking mabey a fuel problem??I am using a mechanical pump.The charging system is working well But I am still not completely ruling out an ignition problem. It does almost feel like a miss. PLMK if anyone has any ideas.

go through the basics first..

While standing by the car I'd run the engine and try an duplicate to problem with the air cleaner off. I'd look and see if the vacuum secondaries are opening and the squirter(s) is/are pumping fuel on initial throttle opening. If you can duplicate the stumble, have someone immediately kill the engine while it's stumbling. Pull several random plugs and see if they're fouled or bone dry.Bone dry would be my guess.. (fuel problem)

From there, assuming nothing previously pointed to the problem, I'd go into some simple checks.

Check your plug condition (gap, condition and coloration to indicate fuel/oil burning) Double-check your ignition timing, 10-18deg BTDC. Check both primary and secondary carb float bowl levels. Pull your MSD distributor cap and see if the contacts/carbon button looks good. Take a look at the rotor for evidence of excessive arcing. Hook up a temporary in line fuel pressure gauge to see if you've got a failing fuel pump. There's a lot more "detailed" things that can be checked but this should reveal something..

Dave
Old 11-19-2007, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Check the MSD Cap and Rotor

shlbsnake There have been alot of small problems with the MSD rotors and caps. The center carbon post has fallen out, been burnt, come loose, burn hole in the rotor center clip. How many miles are on the car with these parts? Guess. Get a new cap and rotor if there are any burn marks on either part. Start here first. If both are OK then get into the carb and the basics. Fuel filters, float levels, fuel pressure psi, fuel regulator psi output, you could be bouncing the needles off the seats in the carb. Did this problem just start? You could have a bad tank of gas. Some gas station have premium fuel thats sits in the tank for months, 4-6 at times. The gas breaks down with time. Undy said hit the basics first then get crazy. Any more info you could give would help with solving the problem. Like is the motor hot or cold, choke on or partial off, did this start all at once? The rpm it starts to happen? The more info you give the better we can help you fix it. Rick L.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC
Not Ranked     

I will echo what Rick Lake said. Look closely at the center terminal of you cap. The problem you are describing sure sounds like ignition and many have had problems with the MSD setups. Take a look here:

MSD Pro-Billet Cap & Rotor Wear????
ERA #509
2003 Z06
Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: unique 427
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies I did a quick check on the cap and rotor it seems to look fine but I will install a new one this weekend and go over some of the other suggestions thanks,
Tony