Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Solid lifters in a Hydraulic

Hey guys...I have a 427 S/O that had hydraulic lifters in it but I have since gone to solid. I am reading a book that states the lifter galleries have to be plugged if I use solid lifters? First I ever heard if this ...true?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I just realized the answer to my question...the lifters that I am using have a grove/neck that will allow the oil a place to go correct?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Scufty,
I have a 68' SO block in which I decided to run solid lifters. You are correct that the groove neck does assist in lifter lubrication/circulation. The main idea in plugging the the galleries is to enhance oil pressure throughout the rest of the oil circulation system. Most of the old FE builders will tell you that pressure is wasted upstairs and better utilized on the bottom end. The gallery plugs are usually drilled out .90 if my memory serves. This drilling of the plug keeps enough oil in the top end while offering enough restriction to increase pressure and deliver more volume to the bottom end.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

gotcha I dont think I want any more pressure at the bottom end.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure I follow you Scufty, without good strong OP all those friction bearing surfaces break down in a hurry, I run 70psi at idle and 100psi at revs over 2k. Some will say this is excessive, but if the engine is sealed up properly this pressure setting is time tested.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is pretty much IMPERATIVE that you restrict the oil flow on hydraulic 427 side oiler when running a solid lifter, grooved or not.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

guys ....I say that because I really felt that I was running to high of oil pressure. I am same as you lineslinger...about 100psi over 2000RPMs and about 30 at idle so I have never really had a issue with not enough oil pressure
Old 03-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As more information is provided I begin to understand what your considerations are, think of it as providing a larger volume of lubricant to the areas of the engine that need it most. The top of the heads only need or require so much for this specific application the rest is wasted, so redirect that excess to where it can best be utilized.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Oiling and lifters

What you have to remember is that the lifters and the oil that goes to them has nothing to do with the top end. The FE engine oil the top end with holes from the number 2 and 4 mains with a oil galley up the block to the deck where it passes to a oil galley in the head and up the rocker bolt through the rocker shaft. You restrict the oil to the top side normaly in the head where it comes up to the rocker bolt or at the deck of the block with a .060 to .090 restrictor. It is pretty common to also restrict the oil to the lifter oil galley as well when running a sold because it does not need the extra pressure and capacity to pump up the lifter like a hydraulic does. The style of solid lifter being ran and the condition of the block will determine how much oil is lost around the lifters. We will normaly restrict to .060 when running the solid lifters and you will be amazed at how much oil will go through that small a hole. You would rather the extra oil go to the bottom end for lubrication and cooling of the crankshaft and bearings. This is more important on a wet sump system than a dry sump system because of the capacity of oil and the dry sump cools the oil better. You want just enough oil for lubrication but you do not want a lot of blead of at the lifters and up stairs. Remember the early blocks were not drilled at all for the solid lifters and lubricated the lifters and camshaft from the splash from the crank and rods. I like about 30 at an idle and 80 PSI at wide open. To much oil pressure cost HP and builds heat in the oil. Good luck, Keith
Old 03-31-2008, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Keith ..that all makes a ton of sense. clarifies a lot. I do have restrictors in the heads and my oil pressure runs at exactly what you are talking about ....I can appreciate that the restriction at the lifter galley certainly wouldnt hurt ..I guess what I am wondering is if I have not restricted it and my oil pressure is looking great is it something I SHOULD do or .....the ole "certainly wouldnt hurt" deal
Thanks alot guys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: