Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: midstates 428FE blue&white stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Rods for 428 cj which are best ????

Any help on which rods are better strength wise ? I now have stock cj rods,
but would like to hear about eagle. h beam, others.this 428 is 40 over alum. heads and 584 on lift.I am changing out pistons now-will stock be good enough.... thanks Rocky
Old 03-24-2008, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Eagle rods and a 6,200 rpm limit, no problems

Snakeunderrock Rocky I ran a 452 motor with eagle rods for 7 years. Had no problem with them. I had a 428 crank in a shelby block with 4.25 bore. I DON'T turn stroker engines over 6,200 rpm for protection and long life of the motor. 7 years of racing and no problem. I got the FE eagles when they first came on the market. I have a set of Lemans rods that are 100 grams heavier that the eagles. I was running a smaller cam than you, 501-533. I have gone to a stroker last year to a 482 from Barry R. Small hydro roller camshaft 587-607. Great midrange torque. I still limit toe rpm's to 6,200. I can change the chip to 6,500 if needed. I don't need to win a $12.00 trophy that much and hurt a $17,000.00 dollar motor. IMO Run an HVHP oil pump, 1extra quart of oil in the motor, and use an accusump and a peroiler for the motor. This will save 80% of the wear and tear on startups. I sure you can spin the eagles to 6,700 rpm, but not in my car. I build torque motors not HP ones. Watch the clearances also for both mains and rods. middle to low .002"s. You know you will need to balance the whole assembly, dampener,crank,rods,pistons,rings, bearings, flywheel, and 5 grams for oil. Rick L. P.s Rocky on a .040" over motor, I would have the cylinder walls sonic checked for thinkness. I have not heard of taking a 428 out to .040". .030" yes. Before you spend all this money for your motor.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 03-24-2008 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Lost train of thought, Sorry
Old 03-24-2008, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

For the price of Scat/Eagle H-beams, I'd rather have the added insurance. You're dealing with 40+ year old pieces. If you have to have those rods resized and updated with good fasteners, you'll probably be able to buy a new set for the money.

I used Scat H-beams in my 428FE with a solid roller cam and Edelbrock heads. It made peak hp at 6500. No worries.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Might as well replace the crank

If you're doing the pistons and the rods you might as well just upgrade the crank to a Scat stroker. That will give you the benefit of the bigger rods and you can dispense with the nuisance of the external balancing (meaning you'll still need to balance, just not externally). You might get a little extra torque that way as well. The availability of the Scat stroker cranks is funny though. I had trouble getting mine a couple of years ago, but then I heard there were no problems getting them, then I heard they were back ordered again, etc.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Rick Lake, Blykins & Patrickt

Thanks to you all. lots of good info.this cj is (was) a running engine I was doing a piston upgrade only better compression. (KB)all internals were ballanced at build time.only about 5000k on this build. the crank is original 428 lo milage, but polished & cheched out.I guess I was thinking while there changing out pistons new rods would be agiven so I wanted to see what is working best with my snake friends. thanks for all your help!!!
Rocky
Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

When working for Delta Air Lines, I had a fella at technical operations Xray my lemans rods, the same machine they use to Xray turbine blades. They were perfect. Running em' hard now for 5 years and no prob-lem-o....

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeunderock View Post
Thanks to you all. lots of good info.this cj is (was) a running engine I was doing a piston upgrade only better compression. (KB)all internals were ballanced at build time.only about 5000k on this build. the crank is original 428 lo milage, but polished & cheched out.I guess I was thinking while there changing out pistons new rods would be agiven so I wanted to see what is working best with my snake friends. thanks for all your help!!!
Rocky

Wow.. 5 million miles! That should win an award.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default My finger sllllliiiipppeeddd

Hey xler8tor : you are way toooo sharp!! Is this not normal milage for FE..
O K 5000..take care. Rocky
Old 03-28-2008, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary frame, Midstates kevlar body, Aluminum Shelby 427, G-force T-5
Not Ranked     

Nothing wrong with stock CJ rods as long as they haven't been abused. The weak point in FE rods are generally the bolts. Depends on how you are going to use the motor. For a stout street motor, they are more than adequate, but by the time you recondition them, you almost have the same amount in them you would spend for newer rods. But the great thing about the stock rods, is that they are generally at least 50-80 grams lighter than any of the aftermarket stuff. If reused, I would not do it without fitting them with ARP or comparable rod bolts.