Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   FE TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/)
-   -   Chasing another oil leak (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/88107-chasing-another-oil-leak.html)

double ugly 06-02-2008 10:35 PM

Chasing another oil leak

I'm getting a puddle of oil under the car the size of a mouse pad. Last night I cleaned the underside of the car and this AM drove the car a few miles to get the liquids up to temp. I parked the car on the lift and checked it after it sat the day. Oil is coming from the driver's side hole in the block plate. A perfect stream of oil the diameter of the 1.5 inch hole. Is a galley plug directly above this hole? Nothing else under the car was oily.
John

blykins 06-03-2008 03:15 AM

There are several things in that area. One is the rear main seal, which I've never heard of one leaking that bad unless it was installed backwards. There are also galley plugs back there, along with a big cam plug.

Was the oil coming out of the block plate?

patrickt 06-03-2008 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 847903)
One is the rear main seal, which I've never heard of one leaking that bad unless it was installed backwards. There are also galley plugs back there, along with a big cam plug.

Brent's pretty much listed them. When you have a leak from the back of an FE the first step in the protocol is to eliminate the possibility that it is either valve covers or the intake manifold leaking. It doesn't sound like that's your problem, unfortunately. If you can stick your finger in the hole of the block plate, just like a proctology exam, and get a glob of oil on the tip of your finger, then you're going to have to separate the trans., pull the bellhousing, clutch, and eyeball the back of the motor.

blykins 06-03-2008 04:41 AM

Why couldn't it have been a gynecological thing, Patrick? Proctology? :LOL:

patrickt 06-03-2008 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 847915)
Why couldn't it have been a gynecological thing, Patrick? Proctology? :LOL:

Some might say that FE mechanics and proctologists are in a similar line of work. ;)

double ugly 06-03-2008 06:51 AM

What really pi$$es me off is the car just got put back together. The flywheel was off and a leak should have been obvious.

patrickt 06-03-2008 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double ugly (Post 847942)
What really pi$$es me off is the car just got put back together. The flywheel was off and a leak should have been obvious.

Yep, and I'm going to stick my neck out and say if it is leaking profusely from the hole below then I'm calling it a bad galley plug.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...edium/hole.jpg

double ugly 06-03-2008 11:50 AM

Yup, on the driver's side.

B737800FO 10-13-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double ugly (Post 848059)
Yup, on the driver's side.

I had an issue with this long ago. If the block has cup plugs and you're running an HP/HV oil pump they tend to leak oil ( Like every aircraft I've ever flown)
I always use a thread sealer on the pipe plugs were applicable as well.

-Keith

FWB 10-14-2018 09:05 AM

if it was apart and no signs of a leak then it may be just a pan gasket.
internet diagnostics always seems to be worst case scenario, when its usually
a much simpler solution.
oh and Patrick describing a rectal analogy doesn't surprise me....:D

patrickt 10-14-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FWB (Post 1452640)
if it was apart and no signs of a leak then it may be just a pan gasket.
internet diagnostics always seems to be worst case scenario, when its usually
a much simpler solution.
oh and Patrick describing a rectal analogy doesn't surprise me....:D

Wait a minute, until yesterday this thread was ten years old....%/

FWB 10-14-2018 12:07 PM

hehehe, and? trying to back pedal now after 10 years? :rolleyes:

olddog 10-14-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1452642)
Wait a minute, until yesterday this thread was ten years old....%/

Some things never change.

twobjshelbys 10-14-2018 01:40 PM

Q: How do you know when a side oiler [or any FE] is out of oil?

A: It stops leaking.

HI Cobra 10-14-2018 05:40 PM

Fe side oilers don't leak - they are just marking their territory.

PJ UPTMOR 10-15-2018 10:28 PM

That is what I heard all my life about fe. They marking their territory or property. lol..

Large Arbor 02-14-2019 05:28 AM

My FE is leaking I think at the same place. I can't decide whether to live with it or go after it. It's on the drivers side running down the block plate.

Is it difficult task to do, aside from removing trans, clutch, flywheel, block plate, etc. I mean is the plug difficult to seal?

Phil

patrickt 02-14-2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Large Arbor (Post 1458198)
My FE is leaking I think at the same place. I can't decide whether to live with it or go after it. It's on the drivers side running down the block plate.

Is it difficult task to do, aside from removing trans, clutch, flywheel, block plate, etc. I mean is the plug difficult to seal?

Before you jump to any conclusions, attach something like an old baby's diaper to the back of both heads and along were the intake manifold meets the block and heads. The diapers, or whatever, need to be clean and white. Make them tight up against everything and along all seams, especially the valve covers and the spot were the valve covers, heads, and intakes all meet. Then take it for a nice drive, pull it in the garage, let it sit for an hour, and then inspect the diapers. That's the first step on any FE oil leak diagnosis. That's the one sad thing about seeing your kids grow up, you don't have a supply of clean cloth diapers to use on your car.:(

Large Arbor 02-14-2019 10:01 AM

I would do exactly as you said except two nights ago I wiped those areas dry and cleaned them well with starter fluid and after 24 hours had no oil showing in those area after wiping them with a rag. Thus my conclusion was its coming from a plug on the drivers side.

I will double check again though before I go after it further so I have a clear conscience.

Phil

patrickt 02-14-2019 10:09 AM

On the bright side, you will not have to pull the engine out and you can couple the task with a clutch freshen-up when you go in there.:D