Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 428
Send a message via AIM to rtstrack
Not Ranked     
Default Power gains

I have a 428 with stock ford heads and a stock 3x2 intake with the holley carbs. What kind of gains do you think I would see if I swapped them out with a set of Keith Crafts stage 2 edelbrock aluminum heads and a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. Top it off with a Quick Fuel 750cm carb.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When you buy the heads from Keith, you'll need a cam to make this do anything. Give him your other details like compression and intended usage.
75 to 100 HP if you can live with a big cam. Otherwise you're wasting good parts.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

what else is in the engine???
We early this year did a 428PI with KC stage 2 Edelbrocks , the stock PI alum manifold, custom cam for Bob Brown who is WCCC member and on here often--results were impressive, super awsome power and torque all the way up

Carb is a 950 Holley

We also built a 4.250 stroke 427 center oiler with KC 2 Edel and Edel manifold, 1000cfm Demon carb for a 68 Shelby gt 500 that is in the final stages of exhaust work---it starts, idles and runs super also--will be done with the 3 inch exhaust system this week and maybe we'll have some final numbers
Old 02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info. My first problem is that I don't know what else is in the engine, as the prior owner didn't have any details, and I haven't had it torn apart yet. I was just curious if by upgrading to some aluminum and a single carb I would see some significant (50-100hp) gains
Old 02-08-2009, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

the edelbrock heads and Erson rocker assy are 50 lbs lighter than the iron heads/stock rocker assy---the 750 carb probably won't gain you any hp but a larger 950-1000 4v will
both these engines used our custon designed solid flat tappet cam for the SOUND and of course had forged h beam rods and Diamond forged pistons
we also used the edelbrock 427 heads with the larger valve sizes
Old 02-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile 428 fe

head and cam from Keith Craft is the way to go.

Dwight
Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

Dwight I second that, Keith Craft Stage II heads are well worth the money , and Keith is a sponsor on this web site and has given alot of time and products to the Ohio Cobra Clubs raffle Cobras over the years. rtstrack you won,t go wrong with Keith Craft products and formulas.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I definetly plan on getting all of my parts and goodies from keith, but I'll have to have it put together locally. Anyone know of a good FE guy anywheres close to Saratoga Springs, NY? The guy i use now (on misc stuff) seems pretty good, but he's a big time Chevy guy and I'm not sure if that will translate will with a FE rebuild.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

SB chevy, BB chevy, SB ford, SB mopar, even the 460 ford are all fairly easy to build. There are dfferences in them, but nothing like an FE. The FE has all types of little things that you just have to know. I guess all engines have a few secrets, but the FE has tons of them. A chevy guy may be good, but if he doesn't know the FE, do you want to be the one that helps him learn the hard way. Hell even my wifes cousin Jim can build a chevy, and you won't find a better bubba than cousin Jim.

IMO the heads, exhaust, and intake make the engine. The breathing potential defines how much torque it can make. The cam's durration determines at what rpm the torque will be made. I would say the cams lift is part of the breathing potential. Very oversimplified general statements. However short of some major weak spot, better heads will make more power every time.

PS
No doubt a total package designed to work together will give the best results.

Last edited by olddog; 02-09-2009 at 08:39 PM..