Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Bad time to sell an "FE" ?

I realize the times are tough but, I can't believe that I have no interested party to buy my nicely built 428 ? I can also include my bell housing, clutch and my 3550 Tremec. It would make a great set up for a new build. I haven't placed a local ad or on "cobra country" yet and I think it's time. $85 for 2 months is not bad.

So, is this a bad time to sell an FE or any,..... engine ?
Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

buyers are scarce. I see great cars on craigslist & ebay that are priced well. Many aren't selling, and some aren't even getting a single bid.

we're in a serious recession. There will always be a certain percentage that have money to throw at expensive toys, but many folks are hurting to just make the house payment.

Z. Ray
Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Hey I have a 360 FE that can be punched to a repectable engine at $100 and no one wants it either.

I think you are right.

I sold the 1965 numbers right, 390 last winter.

Keep the faith...it will sell.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It's a bad time to sell virtually anything right now, at least in terms of the automotive hobby. If you need the cash right now or the storage space, then discount the price until someone finds it attractive.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kev, Since you asked ... You're going to have to drop your price waaaaay more than it is now, especially in this market. It's NOT just FEs.. I recently sold a forged piston 0.030" over complete 428 shortblock for 500 bucks, and had to wait for a buyer at that. 428s seem to be a dime-a-dozen these days. A used motor is a hard thing to pedal ... with "let the buyer beware" (no dealer warranty).

Dave
Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Good time to stock up if you can-- lots of stuff is changing hands at lowwww prices.

( this is good and bad)
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 07-08-2009, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Find another car to put it in (Fairlane,Mustang,Pinto?) and try to sell it that way.......
Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought for sure with it being pretty close to ready to run, block smoothed, painted, polished and coated intake, BG carb. moderate build 400 hp, Canton pan, video of it running, ect., ect..... ect.....it would sell fairly fast.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Times are tough money-wise. It's a buyers market in EVERYTHING. Price it too low and it's not worth it to you to sell it.
And: Most newbie Cobra owners are going for the small block these days.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
I thought for sure with it being pretty close to ready to run, block smoothed, painted, polished and coated intake, BG carb. moderate build 400 hp, Canton pan, video of it running, ect., ect..... ect.....it would sell fairly fast.
What were you asking for it? I noted this SO on the ads today. http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...p?product=2255
Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did see that. Looks like a good base.
Mine with the bell housing, clutch and Tremec 3550, asking $6,000.
The valve covers are now the Pentroof's.
I don't see how this price can be beat.

Short video's. (sorry it's long, no edit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Xsq...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/user/427HISS

Last edited by FUNFER2; 07-08-2009 at 06:12 PM..
Old 07-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I did see that. Looks like a good base.
Mine with the bell housing, clutch and Tremec 3550, asking $6,000.
The valve covers are now the Pentroof's.
I don't see how this price can be beat.
That's a good price; it should sell. But for the recession, it would have already sold.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We were doing pretty well - business was equal to or ahead of last year. Until about two-three weeks ago, when I could have sworn the phones got unplugged. Dead slow. Just starting to come around again....

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 07-10-2009, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What would you say a complete 428 FE weighs, 600-650 lbs. ?
One small articial said this, "610 lbs for an all iron engine, with flywheel and carburetor".

Last edited by FUNFER2; 07-10-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Old 07-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Time for a Checkup...

Quote:
What would you say a complete 428 FE weighs, 600-650 lbs. ?
We need to get you checked for Alzheimer's. You posted that same question three months ago. Weight of FE engine ?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I all ready do.
Thank you for your memory,....Patrick
Old 07-10-2009, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Very Good price for all this stuff,..... but no warranty.... might drive some folks off. Maybe good deal for $4500. to $5500.00, shipping will be a cost item to consider when dealing...maybe an extra added value to the buyer.

Hey, don't laugh.... but a good friend of mine that builds motors, built this great 390FE with original tri-power, and carb linkage, cast iron stock headers and then chromed everything. He ended up making a glass top coffee table out of the thing..now he won't sell it for any amount.

Best of luck, ...think about the Coffee table idea.
Bill
Old 07-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bess View Post
Best of luck, ...think about the Coffee table idea.
Bill
Just the thing to stub your toe on when you're trying to navigate the living room in the dark... a cast iron coffee table.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

When I was younger(1969),before I was drafted or married I had a 428. It came in a 63 1/2 gallaxy and I traded it for another freshly machined 428. I cracked that block so I converted that car into a 352 .I ended up buying and trading to that original block back while on leave (1970). It became a project and the plan was to sometime get a 69 failane I was drafted within days. I had it as a project at home while I was in Vietnam (1972) I had ground the police rods down removing all the casting flash and expected my little brother to sand and finish polishing them. When I returnrd I finished polishing the rods. I bought better heads, sidewinder intake manifold, 1050 CFM three barrel carb, polished and chromed everything By late 74 I had it running on a trailer made from the front frame of a car with headers, radiator, generater. I used to light it and rev it up in the garage, turn it off, shut the garage door and watch all the neighbors look out their back doors. We moved out to Washington state (1975) and things were tight. I had in a wooden frame on a roller base, under a triangleur table in my garage with carb,distributor, and fuel pump removed with rags stuffed in all the openings for several years. I had a 56 Bristle that I had to use as everyday transportation in that same garage. I thought things were over kids and all. So I sold the enginei to a guy from up in everett (77). He was going to put in a really lifted red shortbed pickup. I gave him all the extra parts and instructions First call ,he had mounted the mechanical fuel pump and ended up pushing that rag into the timing chain cover. The engine had a Holman&Moody 882 high torque cam and I had sent a Ford 276° solid lifter cam ( original equipment in 406) with it. I warned him about the cam bolt . Next call Bigger than c^%p he had used that special bolt somewhere else. I had more into it than I sold it for. I regretted selling for many many years. Then things around here changed and I was stressed ou, and while on a business trip a friend took me to car show andsawi saw a red replica and decided that t was my goal, something to look forward to.(Van Hallen "might as well jump". I had allready been flirting with replica manufactures, collecting brochures. I had made my intension heard and painted my self into a corner with a time line years in the futer ,ultimatium and all (1991). Time clicked away and finially things started getting better around here(1998). I had heard about Hot August Nights in Reno and thought that would be a getaway and get together trip for the wife and myself. She made the arrangments and we flew. We had to rent a car to get around. She really got into the auction tracking prices and emotions and all that making notes as it went on. Next year(1999) we drove down and stayed up Truckee. I found this one cobra replica in a huge room full of cars and sevaeral (maybe 8) Cobra replicas. We started going to the auction on Thursday afternoon. The Cobra I was interested in wasn't to come up untill Friday. The Replica came on stage and the auctioneer started. How it got to the figure I heard ,I don't know.. But there wasn't anybody bidding at that price so they backed down and started over . It got to my set limit and and another $500 was going to make it mine. I stuck my hand up and I got it. Panic set in. Theer wasn't enough antascids tablets to do the job. I drove it up to the Motel and sat up most of the night watching it from the window. I had to drive it back to Reno and pickup some parts that went with the car brfore startingthrdrive home. I neglected to turn off the master switch at the dealers lot and the fans came on and drained the battery I had help getting it started and then we stopped at a gas station/ convience store and did it again but that driveway had enough incline to start the car that time. We drove ,Her in the Toyota Landcruiser and myself in the Cobra replica to Roseburg ORG. We met pair of couples that were trailering motor cycles. They offered to box my car inwith their rigs so it couldn't be molested. That is when the regrett of selling that 428 fell away, not completely.= 22 years since I sold that 428 and it's now been another ten years. It's rare when you can find someone that appreciates what you've done and is willing and able to pay for it.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 07-11-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Old 07-11-2009, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's one heck of a story Mike !

Since I put a lot of work in sanding the block smooth and painted it my body color, sanding a lot of other aluminum parts & buying a industrial buffing machine to make them pretty, like a hot rod, why I would sell as good of a motor as it is ? Well, I've always wanted a 427 side oiler and earlier this year, I found myself talking with the editor of "Kit Car Builder Magazine" and my Cobra and this engine build will be in a coming issue. It's based about the differences between the old 60's side oiler and the new aluminum one.

Technology in machining and the parts have improved. I'm very excited about this build and my wife said I can't have two engines.

If...and it's a big if, a show on Speed TV gets picked up for next season, this build project will also be on that show as well but, I'm not counting on it. I've been waiting for Speed executive's to inform the producer of the show for an answer, but I'm tired of waiting.

Some sponsors have come aboard and would like to get even more.
hello,...hello,....anyone else ?