Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Fuel Injection & Tuning

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2015, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #260 w/ 347 stroker, Canfield 195 cc heads, prosystems carb on a VicJr, Comp roller cam
Not Ranked     
Default efi systems

anyone installed FiTech efi system? Products

can be used as a standard suck thru or as a blow thru for turbo/blower car. clean looking installation...looking for any feedback.
BDR#260...21.6K miles logged as of 4/2018
www.motorheadsohio.com We are an engine machine shop, specializing in crankshafts!
47 years of doing business an going strong! stop on by for a personal tour of the shop

Last edited by tamanaco; 07-14-2015 at 07:56 PM..
Old 07-15-2015, 12:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks like a good system.

I'd buy one.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 07-16-2015, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

Hardware looks nice cosmetically, and the price is right. You'll get better performance if you don't mind seeing a pair of fuel rails and go with the edelbrock victor EFI manifold and 4 barrel throttle body and stand alone ECU. I'm fond of Megasquirt.

Be aware of the learning curve of tuning and don't think an auto learning unit is smart enough to auto tune without a good bit of guidance and correction. Read Prof's experiences. For that matter, look at Bob Cowans (may have misspelled) hair removal getting a reliable crank signal on his megasquirt install.

Mu biggest question is how much flexibility and control their little touch screen interface has. I can't imagine doing what I do with the laptop from a little proprietary touch screen.

There's 2 ways to install EFI.

1- Pay a lot of money for some shop to do it, and make sure they can tune it as well and be prepared to go round and round saying no this isn't good enough,

2- Spend a lot of time learning how to tune it yourself.
cdnus and Wbulk like this.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Short article on some of the EFI systems now available, including FiTech's: We Dig Deep Into The Latest EFI Systems on the Market Today
Old 03-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

I recently installed the Fitech Go EFI 8 on my car. I haven't had it long enough to explore all the possibilities yet but it gets better every time I drive it. Happy so far.
-Greg
Old 04-10-2016, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1454
Not Ranked     

Any updates on the FITECH?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I still only have a few hundred miles on the Fitech. Full throttle power is very good but then, it was good before with the carb. The advantage for me is drivability when highway cruising or other part throttle situations. In reality that is the majority of my driving. It definitely meters the fuel better in those situations.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra, SVO 460, Richmond 4+1
Not Ranked     

G_Edmonds, How much effort was required for the install/programming? Or did everthing go in easily? Thinking of the same thing for my Cobra.
Red W/ White Strips
SVO 460
Richmond 4+1
Old 04-18-2016, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I used the Fuel Command Center and that was the hardest part of the install. If you just put a high psi pump in the rear it would have been very easy. The tuning was another matter. They send you a list of definitions of all the things you can adjust but no advice on how much to change. Their tech guys are very helpful when you call though. After a call or two and a lot of searching online, I've got it starting easy and running really well. I really like it so far but as they say, time will tell.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G_E are you using the timing feature? I'm so far not really happy with it controlling the spark but its only been running 4-5 miles so far.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

That was the biggest problem I found with my holley setup. It took a while to learn what all the functions did, but that is do-able. The problem is that I couldn't figure out what my motor wanted. I asked online a bunch of times... What base timing, what max timing, what AFR, and the response was always "you tell me". I kept adjusting timing, fuel tables, AE vs TPS, AFR target, etc. I even took it to a "professional tuner" and it came it running just as poorly as it did before.

I went thru three WBO2 sensors at $130 each. The last one went while I was on the track at Harris Hill Raceway, ending not only my track day, but the entire Texas Cobra Club meet that I wait all year for.

I think these are good systems, just finding the right tune seems happenstance. There is no stock 408 stroked Ford, 195 AFR heads, 2400 pound, manual transmission, 9 inch rear with 3.73 rear gears tune.

I ripped it all out and went back to a nice quick fuel carb from Blykins. If anyone wants to try a Holley Terminator system, I've got a slightly used one for sale.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

spdbrake, in my application the unit can't control the timing. From what I've read, if you have your timing pretty well lined out already, the Fitech won't really improve on that.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I wrote a long winded reply with the details of distributor rotor phasing but its on hold for moderator approval. Probably due to the the youtube link.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
Well I wrote a long winded reply with the details of distributor rotor phasing but its on hold for moderator approval. Probably due to the the youtube link.
That does happen to new members, particularly when a link is added.

Once you are no longer a new member, and you are a trusted member like 99% on here, you'll be fine.

We have all had this restriction in our early days.

Gary
Old 05-29-2016, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I turned off the timing feature and unlocked the MSD dizzy again. Runs mucho better. I got the feeling it was arguing with itself over what the most important parameters to achieve.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's the biggest issue running programmable timing with a locked distributor.

Crossfire/spark scatter is more likely to occur.

A modified cap with large holes can be used to observe the spark events in the cap.

MSD offers an adjustable rotor to correct rotor phasing errors for this purpose.

Gary
Old 05-30-2016, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup I have one and drilled the cap and did Phase the rotor. Still sucked even though I had it set just to left edge of the post at idle and roughly centered on the post at all-in though.
I was getting 18-24deg, 850-960 idle, AFR 13-15 or so (rough numbers here) like it was arguing with itself. So I decided to remove a job from its to-do list.
Once I unlocked the dizzy I used the Blue springs and Green bushing this time and Phased the rotor again. Then installed the the awesome new MSD black dizzy cap (Prob good for 50 more HP like a red Type R emblem).
Pretty stable now, and no hunting.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is the timing solid now?

I've seen many chase spark scatter issues, and I think it is the software/hardware of having a programmable ignition.

I've used a 6530, didn't like some features.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Timing is great now and the other parameters Idle speed , AFR are steady.

I've only gotten approx 20 miles total on the system and reset the learning once I unlocked the dizzy. I do love the system now.
Probably because it reminds me a bit of the FADECs and EECs on the
Garrett,Rolls-Royce,Williams,P&W,Honeywell engines I deal with.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdoc View Post
That was the biggest problem I found with my holley setup. It took a while to learn what all the functions did, but that is do-able. The problem is that I couldn't figure out what my motor wanted. I asked online a bunch of times... What base timing, what max timing, what AFR, and the response was always "you tell me". I kept adjusting timing, fuel tables, AE vs TPS, AFR target, etc. I even took it to a "professional tuner" and it came it running just as poorly as it did before.

I went thru three WBO2 sensors at $130 each. The last one went while I was on the track at Harris Hill Raceway, ending not only my track day, but the entire Texas Cobra Club meet that I wait all year for.

I think these are good systems, just finding the right tune seems happenstance. There is no stock 408 stroked Ford, 195 AFR heads, 2400 pound, manual transmission, 9 inch rear with 3.73 rear gears tune.

I ripped it all out and went back to a nice quick fuel carb from Blykins. If anyone wants to try a Holley Terminator system, I've got a slightly used one for sale.
Probably should have gone with a HP or Dominator system. Both work excellent on engines with a lot of mods and big cams.