Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Fuel Injection & Tuning

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2021, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Stacked Injection Manufacture's ?

I may buy a 460/521 engine.

How does Speedmaster stack up to other company's ?
Their the lower cost I've seen so far.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

You have two primary components in any EFI system. The first is the manifold, injectors & air valves and the second is the actual EFI controller or what the OEM crowd calls the ECU.

In your situation the manifold and the air valves are by and large a single inseparable unit — although the Weber look-alike throttle bodies can be unbolted. That leaves the ECU and ECU choices to evaluate separately.

Before getting to individual ECUs, there are only three types of fueling models available. The first (literally) is what is called Alpha-N. The second is Speed Density and the third is Mass Air Flow or MAF.

The precision in matching fuel to engine fuel demand increases as you progress from Alpha-N to MAF based systems. That said, without a lot of specialized air ducting, a MAF based system is all but impossible to get to run with Weber look-a-like throttle bodies.

The Weber throttle bodies by and large will require a speed density style fueling model because it is so difficult to build the proper air ducting to make a MAF based system work properly. The use of a speed density based system instead of MAF based system only means you will need to adjust your fueling tables for changes in air density, like when you go to Denver or down to Death Valley. Those are extremes. You will need to tweak the tune well before you get to either of those extremes — but that is not a big deal but it is a necessary deal.

The next big event is going to be which ECU do you use. At the top of the hill you have names like Haltech and Motec. Those two companies will put your finished system (electronics only) somewhere in the $6K to $8K dollar window. Motec will get you closer to $10K for just the electronics.

In the middle ground you have some very good alternatives with names like FAST, Big Stuff 3, Holley etc. Most of these can be finished off for $3K to $5K but usually pretty close to $4K.

At the bottom of the pricing scale you find the factory manufactured MegaSquirt 3 Pro or MS3Pro as it is usually called, with an unheard of lifetime warranty! This system has been called the poor man's Motec.

The MS3Pro PnP comes in at $1,349, allows you to use factory Ford sensors and a factory Ford wiring harness if you want, includes a base tune (in speed density format) to initially get you up and running and provides sensor characterization tables to allow you to use any sensor you want w/o paying the exorbitant additional premium some providers add to an OEM sensor after repackaging should you choose not to use Ford sensors.

If you want to build your own harness they offer a top end version of the MS3Pro with much expanded I/O and a custom wiring harness (which you have to string and cut to length). The generic version is called MS3Pro Ultimate and is priced at $1,499 with the harness or MS3Pro EVO which is priced at $1,249 with the wiring harness.

The difference between the Ultimate packaging and the EVO packaging is just I/O channels. The Ultimate version is a full on, all things are possible, race inspired version. The EVO is for mere mortals who want to use a fully programmable EFI on their street rod. The beauty of the PnP version is the use of an OEM wiring harness and the availability of a base tune to get you going.

You will be impressed with how quickly the price of AN hose ends and AN hose adds up. Don't forget fuel pumps and fuel pressure regulators. It doesn't matter which system you choose there are some base line purchases all will require.

Although I did not specifically speak to it, all aftermarket systems include tuning software and data logging software. The MS3Pro guys also have a Bluetooth capability so you can program the ECU w/o the usual mess of cables and connectors - yet one more thing to consider.

Most all the systems are viewable at the website that uses the EFI name i.e. Motec.com, Haltech.com etc. The MS3Pro guys are here =>DIYAutoTune
Randy Forbes likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 04-03-2022 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 05-26-2021, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

A maf system is auto adaptable since it uses the maf to measure air pressure on startup and then adjusts fuel yo the ideal a:f ratio. As a result it is auto altitude compensation.

Tha alpha-n system is essentially using software to achieve what jetting does in a car
B. You will need a tuner based program..

I (and rousch) when they used tha accel dfi system was maf based but not auto tuned so it had an altitude compensation table that adjusted fuel based on the maf reading. Once properly set up it was quite robust.

A friend just put a holly sniper system in a mustang and drove it on the arizona cobra drive with lots of altitude changes and said it worked great.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 05-26-2021 at 07:54 PM..
Old 05-27-2021, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ford 302
Not Ranked     

https://www.borlainduction.com/products/v8-kits.aspx
Old 05-27-2021, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed and you others.
You've went over my head, not understanding a lot. 🙄

There's a bigger issue though. I'm changing from my 428 FE to the 460 engine. I'm buying a 460/521 engine and it has incredible heads, their Saase's B-51.

I have a cool TWM/Borla stack injection, and planned on just buying a 460 stack intake and transferring everything over.

But, Kaase only makes a stack injection intake manifold for his 429, not for the 460 using his B-51 heads. Because how he changed the head, it requires his intake. So I don't know what to do ? Should I change to just a normal 460 aluminum head ? It kinda breaks my heart, as those B-51 heads are awesome and can add a lot of HP.

Any ideas ?
Old 05-27-2021, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed and you others.
You've went over my head, not understanding a lot. ��

There's a bigger issue though. I'm changing from my 428 FE to the 460 engine. I'm buying a 460/521 engine and it has incredible heads, their Saase's B-51.

I have a cool TWM/Borla stack injection, and planned on just buying a 460 stack intake and transferring everything over.

But, Kaase only makes a stack injection intake manifold for his 429, not for the 460 using his B-51 heads. Because how he changed the head, it requires his intake. So I don't know what to do ? Should I change to just a normal 460 aluminum head ? It kinda breaks my heart, as those B-51 heads are awesome and can add a lot of HP.

Any ideas ?
Old 05-27-2021, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

When you use a custom head with a proprietary intake flange Kevin, you basically have four options;
  • Use the builder's proprietary manifold if there is one,
  • Fabricate a suitable alternative,
  • Use adapters to adapt an existing manifold,
  • Use a different set of heads
Sometimes the exotic part we would like to use is not widely used for a reason. Even when we can find a way to make it work the cost is frequently more than a reasonably good alternative. For example look at the difference in cost between a 427 SOHC and a medium riser 427. The SOHC is a to die for engine but it comes with a you're going to die price tag.

These cars are too small and light to put really gigantic hp into. You might enjoy the car every bit as much, possibly more, one notch down the exotica ladder.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 04-03-2022 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 05-27-2021, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, I'm not finding a manifold and to buy a system from the well know 8 stack company's are just too expensive, if fact, most of them don't have manifolds anymore. Kaase has them for his 429 Boss and you need to buy his heads too.

So, I may stick with my 428FE and use my BORLA/TWM injection or buy the 460/521 engine and go with a carb or a single or dual throttle body injection.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
I may buy a 460/521 engine.

How does Speedmaster stack up to other company's ?
Their the lower cost I've seen so far.
I wouldn't buy. Had one and not v.good. Used on 351w. Eventually only used manifold and had the rest rebuilt. Spend the $, in the long run its cheaper (I found out the hard way)
Old 05-27-2021, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

I'm running a Speedmaster stack injection on a 302 stroked to 331. Also using the FAST 2.0, and it has been flawless so far. Admittedly I don't have a lot of miles on it yet, but it's a screamer.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With my bad health I don't have many years to enjoy driving, my team of doctors to me to enjoy life now. So, I want the massive sound, feel of massive power and fricking coolness of stacked injection.

I hear good and bad things on Speedmaster ??? Nobody makes the manifolds for the 385 series, not even Borla, Englleese etc.

Other than them, is there others ?
Old 05-27-2021, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

https://speedmaster79.com/Ford-BB-46...plete-Polished

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWrszgUcOuU

https://specialtyvehiclebuilders.com...rnal-fuel-pump

https://specialtyvehiclebuilders.com/

Last edited by FUNFER2; 05-27-2021 at 08:06 PM..
Old 05-27-2021, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
With my bad health I don't have many years to enjoy driving, my team of doctors to me to enjoy life now. So, I want the massive sound, feel of massive power and fricking coolness of stacked injection.

I hear good and bad things on Speedmaster ??? Nobody makes the manifolds for the 385 series, not even Borla, Englleese etc.

Intake manifolds and Weber kits:
Pierce: https://www.piercemanifolds.com/category_s/97.htm
Redline: http://www.redlineweber.com/v8-kits/ford/

EFI 8-stack:
Inglese: https://www.jiminglese.com/efi-8-stack-v8-systems

Last edited by cycleguy55; 05-27-2021 at 08:26 PM..
Old 05-27-2021, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Brian, can you give me more details on the first two ?
Inglese does not have the intake anymore.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't forget new headers and motor mounts KEV along with all the headaches of converting from a FE engine to a 385 series engine. Personally I think you're biting off more than you really want to chew.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very hard decision, mass power vs cool looks. Creating new headers is not an issue nor motor mounts. But, with my new prognosis, that's a problem. It's kicking my ass with no cure. I should just stay with my new 428 with the injection.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So sorry to here that Kev. You have my prayers. I wish you luck on your quest.

My vote would be to keep the 428, pure and simple. BTW... have you thought about those weak LSC sourced 28 splined axles that won't hold up to stroked 460? How about that radiator that just can't handle the heat that 521 produces? Not to mention that radiator cooling fan that doesn't move enough CFMs to handle the increased heat load. Been there, done that. The sad truth is that the 521/injection represents about 50% of the "quest for HP equation". The rest is also very expensive and very time consuming. Jus' sayin'...

Last edited by undy; 05-28-2021 at 08:27 AM..
Old 05-28-2021, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Brian, can you give me more details on the first two ?
Inglese does not have the intake anymore.
From what I understand, Pierce and Redline are really focused on Weber induction. Regardless, they do sell IR intake manifolds for the 385 Series which you should be able to use with EFI 8-stack systems from elsewhere.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:

385?....Morrison does. They are currently working on updating the website to get out of the "80s" look but also to include an FE sidedraft manifold.

MorrisonOz/Ford Manifolds
MorrisonOz/Ford Manifolds
Old 05-29-2021, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Because of the cost and bad health I've decided to just disassemble my current 428FE and stroke it out.

Which company's kit would you recommend or to buy individual parts ?
Is it lower cost to buy a kit ?

My Dove engine is .030 over, would you suggest staying with it or higher ?

What kind of power could it be ?