Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Fuel Injection & Tuning

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bobcowan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2023, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance-Port fuel injected 427 stroker.
Not Ranked     
Default Accufab Port Fuel Injection System

Doing a PPI on a Superformance Cobra with a 351W/427 with Accufab Port Fuel Injection System. Looks good on the car and it runs strong. Rails are powder coated blue and looks well installed. They don't even show it on their website but throttle bodies look like there business.

Last edited by redvettx2; 02-05-2023 at 02:10 PM..
Old 02-05-2023, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Most likely a different EFI system that uses an Accufab TB.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 02-06-2023, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is what I am thinking Bob. Will know more when we get it in the shop tomorrow. Runs good but hopefully someone knows something about tuning it and parts are available. I don't see that TB on their website but I have an email into them.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Accufab makes a variety of components and a wide range of throttle bodies, like Bob already said, but I don't recall any EFI systems. Post up a picture of the EFI system, throttle body and ECU so we can better respond.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Will have access to the ECU tomorrow when we do the PPI. That will tell more about what it is. Found out the car was built in 2003 and this owner bought it in 2004 with 1300 miles now has 2600. He looked at the paper work, lol. Titled as a 1965 Ford Roadster in AZ. ACCUFAB said it is just a builder using their TB as part of a system. Anthem Motors was the engine builder.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pictures ...

Old 02-07-2023, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ECU running the Accufab TB is a Holley Commander. I need an AZ contact to help with tuning the Holley Commander. It is running a little rich and plugs are a bit fouled. I will swamp them out this weekend. SP dealer say swap to 750 Holley and enjoy the car. I want to take a shot and dialing in the Commander before going backwards in my opinion. Or do I get an updated ECU to run the system.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

red,

Boy does that take me back! I started with the Commander 20 years ago and fought it for about 5-6 years until Holley came out with the newer digital series.

I now use the Holley HP EFI and it's much better. At one time it was practical to update the ECU to the HP from the Commander; dunno if that is still practical. I removed the old ECU and harness and installed the newer ECU and harness in its place. I kept most of the the prior setup: injectors, throttle body and all the other EFI components. I think I also updated some of the sensors, particularly the O2 sensor from narrow to wideband. It's been a while but it was pretty straightforward...

If you have someone nearby who is up to date on tuning/installing Holley EFI that might be a good way to go. Especially if you have the "multi-port" (read: individual injectors - one per cylinder) EFI.

The update could probably be informed by talking to Holley.

Enjoy!

Tom

PS: Before the EFI I fought several carbs using all the tuning skills available among my expert peers. For years. No joy. Not recommended!

Last edited by Tom Wells; 02-08-2023 at 06:01 AM..
Old 02-08-2023, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Just go back to a carb. This unknown cobbling of pieces and parts is going to nickle and dime you to death. Any of your other options - finding a tuner that will open it up or replacing the ECU plus labor is going to cost you three to 4 times what a carb replacement will and truthfully it won't make the car any better to drive.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

The current holley EFI system is >20 years old. Technology has changed a lot since then. Think about laptops and cell phones. As Tom said, upgrade the ECU, sensors, and harness. Fairly easy to do, and not much more expensive than swapping to a good carb. Seen the price of a Holley 750 lately?

Tuning the new digital systems is fairly easy. 75-80% is done by self-tuning programs built in to the ECU.

There are a lot of people who claim that EFI is not any better (or it's worse) than a standard Holley carb. Maybe in a few very limited circumstances, that might be true. But for overall driving in all situations, the EFI is clearly the winner. Even my 15 yo Harley has EFI. I don't think I'll ever mess with a carb again.
Tom Wells and letsboogie351 like this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 02-08-2023, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are several tuners here that can work on it. It actually runs pretty good. I took her for 80 miles yesterday. 10% of the miles on the car the current owner has put on it in in 20 years. Plugs are fouled and need replaced. I will do that first. Just seems to be a bit rich but the motor hasn't been really touched in 20 years. One tuner has the cable and software and said we can always upgrade the ECU. ACCUFAB TB hopefully is still good to go. The make top shelf products.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't waste your time and money on a 20 year old system. Replace it with some modern tech. My suggestion would be to look at an MS3Pro Ultimate not their plug and play.

You already have all your wiring harness complete all you need to do is match the new ECU I/O to the existing wiring harness you have and maybe add a new fuel pressure regulator. Here is the link to the MS3Pro Ultimate <= clickable.

If a new EFI system is a bridge too far, for about the same $1,400 you can buy a very nice, new Holley four barrel.

Last edited by eschaider; 02-08-2023 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 02-09-2023, 08:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvettx2 View Post
I took her for 80 miles yesterday. 10% of the miles on the car the current owner has put on it in in 20 years.
red,

The tires, man! Get them renewed before they make you wish you had! I can hear those 20 year old time bombs ticking from here.

Tom
Old 02-09-2023, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
red,

The tires, man! Get them renewed before they make you wish you had! I can hear those 20 year old time bombs ticking from here.

Tom
+1^. This is a BIG DEAL! It may not seem like it but it really is.

Thanks for flagging it Tom, the rest of us forgot to.