23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2004, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Superformance, 351 SVO #046
Default Superformance GT-40

I have heard talk of a possible Superformance GT-40 MK II being developed. I also understand they are talking about developing their own transaxle. Does anybody know any other news or detalils of a Superformance GT-40?

Gary
Old 01-04-2004, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: RCR Lola Spider

You'll find chassis pics and more info on www.gt40s.com
Old 01-06-2004, 02:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Contemporary 427 S/C w/427 Side-oiler
Send a message via AIM to Mike Drew

Here is what I have been told, by a CAV GT40 owner who is active on another GT40 forum.

Apparently, Superformance purchased a complete, dismantled GT40 Mk II from a retired airline pilot who had bought it when it was relatively young, with the hopes of restoring it someday.

They shipped all the pieces to South Africa and then set to copying them EXACTLY. The intent is to create a perfect replica of a Mk II GT40, with very high parts interchangability with the real cars, and only a few concessions to pragmatism (for example, I would expect they would use better, modern production brakes as opposed to the old iron Girling units).

The Mk II cars used the T44 gearbox, which was a four-speed transaxle designed/built by Kar Kraft, using standard Ford Top Loader internals. Superformance got a T44 with the car, and have tooled up to reproduce the gearbox case etc., so they can offer their car with an authentic transaxle (I presume you would have to buy a Top Loader and swap the parts over to the new case).

The Mk II chassis had subtle differences from the Mk I chassis to accomodate the 427, and the front and rear bodywork was different, but the center section (cockpit/roof/sills/doors) is the same. So it would be extremely simple for them to create Mk I bodywork and offer the car in either guise.

The originally proposed price was supposed to be in line with their Cobra replicas, but due to the added complexity of the GT40 I would anticipate they would be substantially more expensive, although they are hoping to be competitive with CAV, meaning they would trounce ERA on price.

All very encouraging....
(plus three Kawasakis and three VW Scirocco airport cars!)

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/threecars.jpg
Old 01-06-2004, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

It will be interesting to see what engine they recommend. Being the original MKII's ran 427's, I bet it will be the 351 stoked to 427, just like most of their Cobra's.

Gary
Old 01-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker

I believe the whole GT-40 clone market is set to explode. Once the newer Ford GT products start showing up on the street, people are going to gravitate to those less expensive clones.

-Deano
Old 01-06-2004, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Prancer and Vixen, looking for Thrasher

Will dry sumps be required?

If so, will they provide a source or actual parts?

ERA won't.

Armando will make a dry sump pan, but as far as the rest of the system it's basically build your own.

Holman-Moody was producing the old style system, including the old front cover with the pump in the bottom for their GT-40 clone. Is the HM system is available separately?
Old 01-07-2004, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: None yet! Working on it.

The ERA GT40 clone looks really well put together. I was impressed with all the information they stated on their site.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: someday a rf gt40

I'm sure this replica will use a big block FE engine and a stroked small block maybe. Andre 40 said that there will be a MKI shortly after the MKII. I hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thought you GT40 fans might find this interesting:

http://www.gt40s.com has a posting on the new Superformance GT40 and the people behind it. It's posted under the manufacturers announcements.

Last edited by SNAKEYE; 01-16-2004 at 01:23 AM..
Old 01-16-2004, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Check it here:

http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/show...5&o=14&fpart=1
Old 01-18-2004, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby alum 468 block

Hi all

Took the opportunity to visit Superformance in Cal. at LA.

Dennis there showed me over their factory and I was fortunate enough to meet Lance the owner who ran me around town to check out the Superformance Daytona Coupe in final build stage.

I was very impressed and was told at the time that a GT40 was in the wind. The finish/quality of the coupe was outstanding.

Hope to see that when I get over next.

Mike

The factory is just over at Costa Mesa there.

Cheers

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier
South Australia Cruising in the sun
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 01-24-2004, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Former Owner of both Superformance #2666 Roush 427IR and Superformance #1601 Ford Crate 460CI - 486 HP 510 ft\lbs TQ

Was just watching the Barrett-Jackson auction on Speed TV. A GT-40 replica that they said was built by Superformance (actually the guy said "SUPERperformance") just sold for $90K. The Superformance website does not even mention a GT-40 replica. Are they begining with One-Off cars? Anyone know the story here?
I will admit I might have made a one off version for the Playboy Playmate of the year who was the seller.

Thanks,

JB
Old 01-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.

Bannon
You mis-heard what the annoncer said--he was saying the car came from SA, where SPF's are built, was probably a CAV GT.

Think I might have bought anything that "Playmate" was selling
Old 01-24-2004, 04:02 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thumbs up Go To GT40s Site

Hunt around, it appears Superformance may be coming out with a GT40 to go with it's Coupe - at least I believe it is Superformance.

Anyway there is a lot of noise over there and some of those guys really know their stuff. For fun, look at the P4 a guy is putting together. Some amazing craftsmen over there.

David Lowell
Old 01-24-2004, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

It was a CAV. Superformance is coming out with a GT40 replica, the asking price as a roller is posted to be around $50,000 but that does seem low. There are more threads on it here:

http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/show...5&o=14&fpart=1
Old 01-25-2004, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Former Owner of both Superformance #2666 Roush 427IR and Superformance #1601 Ford Crate 460CI - 486 HP 510 ft\lbs TQ
Default My Ears are clear

G.R.

After your post, I called my friend who was also watching the show. He also stated that the anouncer said the car was built by "Superperformance".
It may have been a Cav GT but it still amazes me that people who should be "In the know" make mistakes about cars like this.

I hope Superformance builds the GT-40. Will help me save 80 grand on purchasing a new Ford GT!

JB
Old 01-29-2004, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

The Superformance GT-40 MKII is reported to be aroung 50K for a roller. Is it the same prep as their cobra's? painted, full interior, ac, suspension, everything done except powertrain and wheels? If that is true, that is a good deal.

Gary
Old 01-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Contemporary 427 S/C, 427 Center Oiler

If that is true, it is an incredible deal.

TT
Old 01-30-2004, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby alum 468 block

How does that compare to the Roarin 40's.

I know I'm pushing an Aussie product sold in Arizona.

Roarin 40's c/o BTSNAKE - Hershal Byrd is the Roarin 40's agent.

I think the finish is very good and the Roarin 40' GT40 is a lot less and not a lot of work to get up to the SPF standard or completion level.

Cheers

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia Cruising in the sun.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 01-30-2004, 04:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black

Go back and listen to the announcer again..Brock stated that the car was built in SA and the only company he knows of over there is SPF...didn't say it was built by SPF just only company he knows from over there is SPF.

The information on the GT40 site is really good...right now the price point is quoted as 50K minus engine and transmission. The reason for the difference in price on the 40 and coupe is explained very well...

The coupe is expected to be a limited selling car....IE Spread development costs over fewer vehicles...the 40 (which if they do have most of the CAV 40 group) cost much less to develop and they expect to sell many many more care ie the development cost is spread over many more vehicles.

I can't wait..unfortunately it looks like they are going to do the MKII first which is the big block car....I want the MKI in gulf colors with a rip snorting 331 w/webbers...that will be a later option.

Bernie in answer to your question...I believe the Roaring Forties comes as a kit...the SPF 40 will come just like their cars...fully painted by the factory...you just drop in your engine and transaxel...there is also talk that SPF is making a T44 transmission but on the 40's site they say the car should be able to handle the ZF or the Audi box as well...the T44 would be more for the BB cars.

Can you tell I am obsessed with this car

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon

Last edited by 427Aggie; 01-30-2004 at 05:02 AM..