Go Back   Club Cobra > Club GT40 Areas (MKI - MKII - MKIII - MKIV) > GT40 Tech Talk -- MK1 - MKII - MKIII - MKIV
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ For Sale Calendar Today's Posts Journals

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA #593,427 S.O.
Default ZF TRANSAXLES-PANTERA vs M-1 versions?

I'm hoping to hear from those more knowledgeable than I on this one.

Virtually everyone favors the ZF Transaxle for GT40 replicas over the other alternatives. I have heard there are two versions of the ZF, one was used in Panteras and was was used in BMW M-1s? What is the difference between the two? Which is more desirable behind a stroker SBF in the 450-500HP range? Do they have the same gear spacing? I've been told there were two versions of the Pantera ZF as well; differing in the gear ratios?

What will I typically pay for a ZF in the Pantera or M-1 version?

Thanks- DandyDon
Old 01-15-2007, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Default ZF Transaxle differences

I would suggest you call Jerry Jansing, one of our club members. He has vast experience building and overall knowledge of GT40's. Specifically he rebuilds ZF Transaxles, sells them and installs drivetrains on GT40's. He owns a Pantera as well.

He can be reached at 502-396-0672

Juan

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 01-15-2007, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Autocraft MKIV
Default ZF's

There are 2 ZF's came in the Pantera .. Dash 1 and Dash 2 .... the 1 was in the early Panteras and the dask 2 the later its more common. The M-1 is more expensive and heavy duty, very desireable and rare.

Myself I'm getting my ZF upgraded with M-1 parts so I can go racing with my Pantera.

The person with the rights and all the parts is a man called Roy Butfoy of RBT Transmittions.

I;m told there are new ones ..but I think your talking big bucks. As we speak he is backed up for many months .. but other Pantera Parts Co.s like Dennis Quella and Bob Byers of Panter Performance rebuild them.

Go to the Pantera International Forum and ask around ..there are some wrecked panteras people are breaking up.

Myself I have 2 but for two Pantera's I own.

Ron
Old 01-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: TBD

Hi Don,

I do not have all the information on these but from what I understand there are a few differences. The units are the same on the outside but, the ring gear is different. The standard ZF has a 4:22 pinion and the M1 has a 3:77, I chose the lower gear ratio for my GT. The engine I am building is more of a torque orientation than HP and I want to be able to cruise at 2000-2200 at highways speeds with a reasonable MPG.

Costs run in the $10K and up territory.

Look at Steve Wilkinsons website, there is detailed part lists there and you may be able to see the differences.

TR

Last edited by Tony Ripepi; 01-16-2007 at 02:49 PM..
Old 01-15-2007, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649

Don, all your questions will be answered if you call Jerry Jansing. 502-396-0672. I spoke with him and he is waiting for your call.

Juan

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Talk to Lloyd buttfoy; his father built the ZFs

When I was over the Pond, I talked to the founder of Safir
who told me the M1 versions of the ZF were better, as he had previously used them on some racing M1s. But Lloyd, who owns the tooling for the ZF 5 speed can tell you better.His business is in Orange CA right off Katella.
Fprd had to change the ZF gearbox in the Pantera for one that was quieter
after the original ownrs complained.

I have heard the Mangusta gearbox is closer to that used in the GT40; but I think on the GT40 it might have had a lighter weight case
Old 10-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

The original Mk1 GT40 uses a Dash "0" box....many original owners remove the zero box and replace with the more readily available -2...

So in reality the question should be where can you buy a dash zero box to be authentic....or an even earlier unit was the Coletti (p.o.s) from all accounts

The Mk2 and Mk4 use a T44 4 speed transaxle that was made from an amalgamation of a Ford 9 inch diff and a 4 speed toploader turned into a transaxle... these are now available new for approx 35-37k ...

Jerry has done some ZF units for RCR customers and is currently at then Run and Gun watching one being put through its paces... GO DEAN...
Old 10-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi Guys,

Hard to believe but, I looked at my message and last edited it in January of this year. I have had a huge education in the ZF transaxles and still remain ignorant.

The unit that is being modified for my SPF is an M1 part, the ring gear was a 4:56 and has been swapped for a 3:77 and the fifth gear has also been changed to get a highway cruise RPM of 2400 @70MPH. The oiling system has been modified since the ZF mounts right side up in the SPF and Mangusta application but upside down in the Pantera, the rear cover has been modified to deliver oil the rear bearing also to accomodate the mounting issue.

The M1 unit has additional synchros, stronger case, wider bearing surfaces and is simply an overall stronger transaxle.

There are some specifications at the SPF Gt40 site they you may find interesting:

http://www.gt40superformance.com/Home.aspx

My transaxle has been completely disassembled for powder coating of the case, shift mounting hardware, bell housing etc. etc. this was done for appearances but it had to be taken apart for the internal modifications.

I anticipate having the running GT in my garage around the end of November......more info as the build moves forward.

Tony R.

Last edited by Tony Ripepi; 10-11-2007 at 05:03 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default The difference in a nutshell is...

The M1 came along a few years after the Pantera so by that time ZF had a chance to beef it up where it was weak. I would contact some M1 shop if there is such a thing and ask them or call Roy Butfoy (RBT transmissions, orange CA) the leading expert in ZFs. Also call Dave Adler at P.I. Motorsport who has ZFs on the shelf and may know the differance. He often sells Panteras with 450-550 hp. and drives one himself on the street (a car called "Whiplash")
Old 07-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi Guys,

The M1 components did come along later, mine is installed and more than capable of handling the 427 Windsor output.

The man who put mine togther is Steve Wilkinson, his company has been dealing with Panteras for 30+ years and if you go to his web site you can see a complete Illustrated Parts Breakdown of the ZF internals. Steve does have ZF transaxles in stock and can build one to your specs.

http://www.panterasbywilkinson.com/

Steve put my SPF together and did a great job, his shop is a custom Pantera shop and he has Pantera there with 700 HP+ that have been delivered and he is building more exotic rides right now. Steve also has a wide selection of DeTomasco parts that he bought in Italy when the company was liquidated.

TR
Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi Guys

The ZFQ is the new way to go rated at 600Bhp and 550Ftlbs of torque, synchro or dog version, ATB differential. ZFQ bellhousing for Ford or LS Chevy.
Web site www.gttransmissions.co.uk
Read about it also here
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/vendor-ma...nsaxle-14.html

See it in action here http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcq-MV9yX_8
We are making two streight cut BMW M1 race transaxles for a race team in Canada because they are tired of rebuilding the ZF transaxles every 5 hours of racing.

Regards

Chris.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Superformance 695HP aluminum FE

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but at the prices I'm seeing here how about Porsche 930 transaxle. They handled 740HP in cars that weighed about the same and turbos make big torque.