Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Eljaro

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane HM-2002 in Spain now.

Have received a Hurricane 427, registered 1965, a few weeks ago here in Mallorca, shipped from California in a container.

Have been looking what to fix on it before driving it.
I have plenty of time to check it all out while the papers to get it registered here are done.

Things I found and have been fixing:

1.Exhaust header flange was very close to footwell and touching the fiberglass. The thin heatshield had burned away and there was a big hole burned into the footwell, the fiberglass was just carbonized.
Even the carpet inside was melted. A very grave fire hazzard there, and a design fault. Maybe this was made for slip on headers but not for a voluminous flange hookup.
I had to remove the exhaust and headers and cut a 5mm thick ceramic fiber board (replacement for asbestos) good for 1100ēC and screwed it on the outside of the footwell. Also inserted a metal plate just where the flange is very close, just in case that it rubs when engine rocks and damages the isolation.
I also had to grind about 8mm off the flange on the side towards the footwell. Flange has already been cut there, but not enough.

2.Seats had no slider. So ordered a set and fitted them.

3.Dip switch and turn indicator on the column stalk (Volkswagen item) was not functional and was replaced on the dash with one Lucas toggle switch for dip and another for turn indication. Not a very sophisticated setup.
Had to buy a DNI0127 latching relay and rewire and now I have the flashing option and the dip switch on the stalk.
For the indicator to work I had to fit a lever on the steering shaft to activate the small cams for the turn indicator automatic reset.

4.Fuel pump was wired directly to the battery cutoff switch with no relay and no fuse. Now it has a proper switch on the dash, with a relay and a fuse.

5.Fan could only be turned on manually. Now it has a thermostatic switch and comes on automatically, with switch used to override the thermoswitch.

6.All Webers were removed, ultrasonic cleaned and have the third progression holes drilled. Two Weber were Italian and had the access to the transition holes plugged. Plug was removed and a brass threaded plug inserted instead.

7.Car was started using a starter button on the dash. Redid the wiring using the start option of the ignition switch and used the button on the dash for the Horns.

8. Fiberglass has some noticeable undulations on top of both front fenders and on both sides under the doors. Do not know if this problem was originally there or if it was generated by heat from engine and from exhaust pipes. Anyway, it is going to the body shop to have those areas smoothed out and repainted. Will cover the inside of the front fenders with heat barrier and the back fenders with antigravel mat.

9.Car was sitting too low. When jacking up the springs would fall out of their lodgings and dangle around. Not good if you do a jump and the springs fall out and don't go back where they should. I suspect that they are too short. I tightened them up with the screw on the shocks and now they stay in place and car sits higher.

Will probably have to do a new adjusting of the Webers after doing the 3rd trasition hole mod. Will start with same setup I have in my Contemporary.
bwcobra15, JBCOBRA, LMH and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Eljaro; 04-23-2018 at 03:25 PM..
Old 03-02-2018, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

What a beautiful area to drive a Cobra. You are very fortunate
Old 03-02-2018, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a well thought out list of modifications and improvements, Eljaro! This has always been one of my favorite Cobras on CC. Keep us posted on your adventures in Spain.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 04-23-2018 at 06:44 PM..
Old 04-24-2018, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

thanks Buzz !
Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the family. Be sure to register and regularly visit the Hurricane forum.
Hurricane Motorsports - Index
Lots of good info there with many owner/builders happy to answer questions.
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w

Tags
hurricane, indicator, weber