28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, FE 440, top-loader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Mallory cap replacement substitute?

I have a Mallory distributor manual advance only on my FE. Model #2555301, female cap. The spring on the carbon inside the cap has become weak not making good contact on the rotor resulting in hard starting. I want to replace the cap. Do I need to source one from Mallory or is their a substitute I can get at local auto parts store? How about the rotor as well? Might as well replace the pair. 10 K miles on engine. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Unique to Mallory, pony up.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 09-06-2014, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rick but I just searched on summit and the carbon button and spring in cap center is replaceable for only nine bucks. Won't have to pony up.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Young1:

That's good that you can replace that alone, however inspect the entire cap.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-27-2014, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Rick is right...again!

...and don't expect that a new distributor cap will solve the problem...if you haven't read my thread (link posted below), you may want to. It all started with difficulty getting the engine to start, just like you are experiencing...and got worse. Here, read this:

Need help with Mallory Uni-Lite distributor/ProMaster Coil combo

One bit of friendly advice...get yourself a spare control module and definitely make sure that the voltage surge protector is installed. When my cap "failed", I thought it had just burned up the center contact on the distributor cap...it had literally burned the spring loaded contact with the shutter wheel (rotor) completely in two...with the kind of additional damage you'll read about in my thread.

Hope you have better luck than I did...I really like Mallory products, but in this case I'm not sure that my confidence is deserved.

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 10-27-2014 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: add recommendation for spare control module
Old 10-27-2014, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a Pertronix module in my Mallory distributor. The spring had compressed and stuck in the distributor cap. So the carbon was fine. I also discovered my coil wire was internally arcing resulting in high rpm missing. All is well now
Old 07-04-2017, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

With only being interested in this stuff this weekend I have learned that MSD has taken over Mallory around 2013. and Holley has taken over MSD in 2015. So the way I see it Mallory, MSD, and Accel are all under the same control group. Did I miss anything. Is everything still available? I started out to get another small bag of MSD coiled spiral roll pins, for my Mallory distributor drive gear. The local SCHUCKs had a big display of MSD stuff ,15 years ago. I'd think the drive gear for a old Ford FE distributor would all be the same. Do I need to start hoarding now?
Old 07-04-2017, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mallory service items are avail through MSD
https://www.msdperformance.com/brands/mallory/
Old 07-04-2017, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does anybody have the dimensions of the FORD FE distributor drive gear.? The boss above the gear, how wide =OD. As I remember it used a 1/8" dia. roll pin+, but how long
A part number would be a great help? I'm looking to replace the distributor drive gear pin with a slightly tougher coiled spiral roll pin. Originally, It was a split spring pin and that broke with out much effort in 2002. The MSD coiled spiral roll pins that I bought in 2002 lasted fir 15 years. Then they came two to a package and were on a MSD display at local Schucks auto parts store. I figure the drive gear areas are almost identical to factory. I just want a little tougher pin to turn the distributor and oil pump. Mallory and MSD web sites don't show the pins and I didn't find the drive gear for Ford FE stuff. I just want the pin , coil and box are fine

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 07-04-2017 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: when
Old 07-05-2017, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The MSD "Spirol" pin part number is 11075

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...1075/overview/

http://www.spirol.com/s/roll_pins_ga...FdyFswodVLIKrA
Old 07-05-2017, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is supposed to be the only pin MSD now offers. It is a split spring roll pin 0.125" diameter by 0.750" long. Ford distributor shaft is 0.500 " thick . that leaves only a 0.125" of pin in each side of the drive gear. It would need to be so precisely placed at that. With the drag of the oil pump, the pin ends just collapse and the pin shears off. 1 sheared a split spring roll pin 15 years ago. and replaced with coiled spiral roll pin from MSD that came two to a bag. All this merging hasn't been good for us consumers. I did get A SUMMIT tech to find a DORMAN 623-046 which is a coiled spiral roll pin 0.125 diameter and 1.0" long. That would leave 1/4" of pin in either side of the drive gear. That still seems a little short but more to my liking.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

if i may butt in here on this new roll pin idea. you don't need to buy a particular roll pin from MSD. the reason i say this is you will not be able to install a pin in the existing hole in the new gear and think by some strange idea it will line up with the existing hole in your distributor shaft, they will be in two different universes.
buy a roll pin, the hollow type of the length and diameter you desire, get the gear in the position you wish drill a new hole through gear and shaft at the same time, roughly 90 degrees opposed to the existing holes, and be done with it