Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Electrical Problem/Tach Smoked/Killed Power

Just bought this car and trying to figure things out. Car was running very strong, when the tachometer started smoking (inside the glass), then I lost all power. I pulled the Tach (SW) to have it repaired and replaced the burned fuse in the fuse block. I have the Tach out of the car, and I have replaced the blown fuze, but I still don't have Headlight, electric fan power, and I cant crank the engine over. Do I have to have a working tach installed in the electrical system to be able to start the car? I have power to the starter solenoid, I just cant engage it using the ignition switch. Any ideas sure would be appreciated!

RJ
Old 01-03-2015, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

You probably blew more fuses
Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bill, that is what I was thinking, but I have looked everywhere for more fuses. I am currently taking a break and then I will get back in the garage and search some more!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

But the ebay ad said, "No surprise...."
u should have paid attention to mrmustang and pass on this "cobra whatever replica."
Previous owner had it for 11 years and drove it only 600 miles? There was a reason. Unless u put machine guns on the roll bar, do not take your ride out to meet cobra guys.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There may be a fusible link in the system somewhere that blew. They are usually not too hard to find.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

NewYorkGuy, thanks for your concern, but I do plan on taking it out to meet other Cobra Guys. I will pass on the machine gun mounts.

Joyridin, thanks I will start looking for a fusible link.

Roy
Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

rjusino,
Please don't take this as anything more than an effort to be helpful. ... If you are an experienced car builder / hot rodder then you likely know how to troubleshoot something as basic as the electrical system for a Cobra replica. Most of these are not complicated electrical systems with computers and such. If you are not that experienced, you would be very wise to take the car to a skilled hot rod / race shop to have the car gone over completely. Not all replica builders were as skilled as we wish they were. You don't want to find out the hard way with an electrical fire, failed brakes, failed steering, or failed suspension components. A few hundred dollars more is a small price for the safety and peace of mind you can buy.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 01-04-2015 at 04:00 AM..
Old 01-03-2015, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tommy
No offense taken, very good advice. The electrical system looks put together very well, and it is not that complicated. I checked all the fuses and replaced the blown one, I was thinking that maybe some of these kits have 2 sets of fuse blocks. If I cant figure it out by Monday it will be going to the Hot Rod Shop to have all the electrical checked out. I have never seen a Tachometer Smoke before, something inside the Tach must have shorted out.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

This is a total guess, but suppose a major ground failed and all the power for the car was trying to go through one remaining small ground at the tach. That could explain both the smoking tach and the complete power failure afterward. .... just a guess. Many of these cars are so one-of-a-kind that its difficult to generalize an answer.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 01-04-2015, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

May I suggest you evaluate all your wiring for possible issues. A fuse/fuses blow for a reason. The tach is in the ignition circuit what type of controller do you have MSD or the like? This too may be an issue or bad for the non starting.

Start at the fuse block and work out from there.

Good luck;
Old 01-04-2015, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the suggestions Gents, I give up though. Will be bringing it to a shop on Monday. I do have this Silver Box on the Firewall....Made by Wells, and it states "Circuit Protected" But it is a sealed box so I can't determine if that is the issue. I will let the Pros figure it out on Monday.

Thanks Again
RJ