Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Keith Craft Racing (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/keith-craft-racing/)
-   -   104 octane booster, is it worth it? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/keith-craft-racing/50251-104-octane-booster-worth.html)

CowtownCobra 02-07-2004 04:06 PM

104 octane booster, is it worth it?

What does it do thats good, and does it have any risk of damaging anything?

viking 02-07-2004 04:59 PM

or try these homebrew boosters..%/

Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal
10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........Not Recommended
30%...........Not Recommended

Great Asp 02-07-2004 05:19 PM

I think

No real chance of damage.

The only real benifit is if you have a compression that is close with the local high octane gas, and you get knock. Then sometimes an octane "boost" like this stuff can help.

There has been other posts about octane boost before.

If you have knocking with the amount of advance you want to use, then try it. See if it helps. I have 10.5:1 comp, and on the best premium gas I could get (93 octane), I still had a knock at the advance that was best for hp. So I went to Klotz octane boost. About 10 oz for every fill up. It does the job.

It only works if you are close to the limit of your octane vs advance (IMO)

Eric :MECOOL:

CowtownCobra 02-07-2004 06:31 PM

Don't ever have any knock, engine is in top tune. I was just wondering if any additional horsepower could be had. Compression ratio is 10.5 to 1. One kind is 50 state legal, the other is only for off road, must have lead in it?

aumoore 02-07-2004 07:58 PM

Cowtown
I think I remember reading that using a higher octane than you engine requires(to prevent detonition or knock) can actually lower performance or at least waste money. The higher the octane the more resistant to ignition the fuel is, so running high octane in a low compression engine may not get complete fuel burn.

Just a thought.

Keithc8 02-08-2004 08:01 PM

I think the problem with trying the octane booster with the pump gas is are we getting the same results with our octane everytime. I would rather buy some fuel that is mixed for the lower compression engines and has oxygen in the fuel to help the lower compression engines. You do need to add a few larger size jets to your carburetor. There are some other good fuels out there that can be bought for about 3.00 a gallon. Good luck Keith

SCOBRAC 04-26-2004 07:27 PM

Thanks for the formula Viking. I slept my way through organic chemistry. I was having a problem with diesling in my new 427. got the timing down as low as 8 BTC and the idle at 700. It still wouldn't stop. I was running 76 "premium" 91 octane and nothing I did helped.

I put in a can of hy-per fuel octane booster www.hyperlube.com and the problem cleared itself up. They advertise 7 octane points (not legal for street use)... Either way problem solved. I cranked the static timing back to 12 and the idle back up to 850 worked like a charm, but at $8.00 a pint I'm in over my head.

It seems my 10.5:1 calculations were wrong, they had to be closer to 10.9-11 for it to act this way. Either way I will save a ton with 15% Toluene.

:-)

viking 04-26-2004 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SCOBRAC

Thanks for the formula Viking. I slept my way through organic chemistry. I was having a problem with diesling in my new 427. got the timing down as low as 8 BTC and the idle at 700. It still wouldn't stop. I was running 76 "premium" 91 octane and nothing I did helped.

I put in a can of hy-per fuel octane booster www.hyperlube.com and the problem cleared itself up. They advertise 7 octane points (not legal for street use)... Either way problem solved. I cranked the static timing back to 12 and the idle back up to 850 worked like a charm, but at $8.00 a pint I'm in over my head.

It seems my 10.5:1 calculations were wrong, they had to be closer to 10.9-11 for it to act this way. Either way I will save a ton with 15% Toluene.

:-)

No problem, after playing around with a few mixtures this one works great for me (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):
100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid, eight bottles for under $3.00, works fine in my 427 cobra, 350 t bucket, 1983 454 truck, wifes 4cyl jeep and the bad a$$ed snapper riding mower..........heck of a profit margin huh ?

Excaliber 04-26-2004 10:53 PM

Last fill up was 8.7 mpg Which is way up since I changed the jets from 75 to 68's. Whatever octane booster I come up with has GOT to be cheap, my fuel bill is killing me!

Looks like toulene.

Only knocks at low speed pulling a steep grade, like entering a parking structure for instance. Low rpm and to much throttle.

Ron61 04-27-2004 05:47 AM

Ernie,

Better talk to the Gasholes about that low mileage figure. At 100 MPH they all average around 12.9. They wish. :D

Ron :LOL:

griffinzein 08-07-2004 08:01 PM

well guys i got my own mix, it made my blazer that typically runs 18mpg push 40.something mpg, the only prob is i cant remember what it was *cries like little baby*