Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Keith Craft Racing

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-07-2004, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     
Default 104 octane booster, is it worth it?

What does it do thats good, and does it have any risk of damaging anything?
Old 02-07-2004, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SVM7688, 427 FE med riser, doug nash 5-speed, 3.54 9 inch locker.
Not Ranked     

or try these homebrew boosters..

Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal
10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........Not Recommended
30%...........Not Recommended
Old 02-07-2004, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Default I think

No real chance of damage.

The only real benifit is if you have a compression that is close with the local high octane gas, and you get knock. Then sometimes an octane "boost" like this stuff can help.

There has been other posts about octane boost before.

If you have knocking with the amount of advance you want to use, then try it. See if it helps. I have 10.5:1 comp, and on the best premium gas I could get (93 octane), I still had a knock at the advance that was best for hp. So I went to Klotz octane boost. About 10 oz for every fill up. It does the job.

It only works if you are close to the limit of your octane vs advance (IMO)

Eric
Old 02-07-2004, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Don't ever have any knock, engine is in top tune. I was just wondering if any additional horsepower could be had. Compression ratio is 10.5 to 1. One kind is 50 state legal, the other is only for off road, must have lead in it?
Old 02-07-2004, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Cowtown
I think I remember reading that using a higher octane than you engine requires(to prevent detonition or knock) can actually lower performance or at least waste money. The higher the octane the more resistant to ignition the fuel is, so running high octane in a low compression engine may not get complete fuel burn.

Just a thought.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I think the problem with trying the octane booster with the pump gas is are we getting the same results with our octane everytime. I would rather buy some fuel that is mixed for the lower compression engines and has oxygen in the fuel to help the lower compression engines. You do need to add a few larger size jets to your carburetor. There are some other good fuels out there that can be bought for about 3.00 a gallon. Good luck Keith
Old 04-26-2004, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the formula Viking. I slept my way through organic chemistry. I was having a problem with diesling in my new 427. got the timing down as low as 8 BTC and the idle at 700. It still wouldn't stop. I was running 76 "premium" 91 octane and nothing I did helped.

I put in a can of hy-per fuel octane booster www.hyperlube.com and the problem cleared itself up. They advertise 7 octane points (not legal for street use)... Either way problem solved. I cranked the static timing back to 12 and the idle back up to 850 worked like a charm, but at $8.00 a pint I'm in over my head.

It seems my 10.5:1 calculations were wrong, they had to be closer to 10.9-11 for it to act this way. Either way I will save a ton with 15% Toluene.

:-)

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 04-26-2004, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SVM7688, 427 FE med riser, doug nash 5-speed, 3.54 9 inch locker.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOBRAC

Thanks for the formula Viking. I slept my way through organic chemistry. I was having a problem with diesling in my new 427. got the timing down as low as 8 BTC and the idle at 700. It still wouldn't stop. I was running 76 "premium" 91 octane and nothing I did helped.

I put in a can of hy-per fuel octane booster www.hyperlube.com and the problem cleared itself up. They advertise 7 octane points (not legal for street use)... Either way problem solved. I cranked the static timing back to 12 and the idle back up to 850 worked like a charm, but at $8.00 a pint I'm in over my head.

It seems my 10.5:1 calculations were wrong, they had to be closer to 10.9-11 for it to act this way. Either way I will save a ton with 15% Toluene.

:-)

No problem, after playing around with a few mixtures this one works great for me (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):
100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid, eight bottles for under $3.00, works fine in my 427 cobra, 350 t bucket, 1983 454 truck, wifes 4cyl jeep and the bad a$$ed snapper riding mower..........heck of a profit margin huh ?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Last fill up was 8.7 mpg Which is way up since I changed the jets from 75 to 68's. Whatever octane booster I come up with has GOT to be cheap, my fuel bill is killing me!

Looks like toulene.

Only knocks at low speed pulling a steep grade, like entering a parking structure for instance. Low rpm and to much throttle.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Ernie,

Better talk to the Gasholes about that low mileage figure. At 100 MPH they all average around 12.9. They wish.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-07-2004, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: made mine from molds taken off an original, 302/ 351 heads hand made intake drysump oil system, and lots of nitrous.
Send a message via AIM to griffinzein Send a message via Yahoo to griffinzein
Not Ranked     

well guys i got my own mix, it made my blazer that typically runs 18mpg push 40.something mpg, the only prob is i cant remember what it was *cries like little baby*
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: