Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Keith Craft Racing (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/keith-craft-racing/)
-   -   428FE for Street? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/keith-craft-racing/72495-428fe-street.html)

SSSammy 09-04-2006 10:11 AM

428FE for Street?

Keith, I'm thinking about a motor for an ERA 427 Street kit. The car will have the restrictive undercar exhaust, no hood scoop, and only be driven on the street, with some highway cruising. I am seeking drivability with a 3.31 IRS and T-600 with .64 top gear. To stay fairly correct for eventual resale purposes, I'm biased toward a 428 block. But I doubt that I need more than 450 HP. Can you suggest a configuration and approximate price that I can budget around?

Thanks and regards,
Sam

Keithc8 09-04-2006 04:45 PM

I see no problem using a good 428 block for this. I have several 428 3 web service blocks that are real nice. I would do a 4.125 or 4.250 Scat cast steel stroke crankshaft with a 4.155 to 4.165 bore for 445 to 460 C.I. I would install a hydraulic roller camshaft for durability and power and use our stage 1 heads for the power level that you want. you would spend about 10,500.00 building the engine complete of the dyno with balance, build, part and dyno sheets. There are always several options available that can affect the finaly price one way or the other. Just let us know how we can help. Thanks, Keith

spl310 09-04-2006 06:51 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but why do folks so often stroke the 428? Seems to me that 428ci built pretty stock would be plenty fun on the street.

FUNFER2 09-04-2006 07:07 PM

Simple............more power !

SSSammy 09-04-2006 07:31 PM

Thanks and a related question ...

Thanks for the prompt reply, Keith. I will be contacting you when the time comes. Is an external oil cooler necessary or recommended for this engine in Texas summer climate?

Best regards,
Sam

ZOERA-SC7XX 09-05-2006 03:56 AM

I'm a little more budget oriented...I used a 390 block converted to a 428 (.080 over) with 1U crank and std 428 KB pistons (10.0:1), 69 cc heads w/CJ vaves and a Comp. Cams 270H grind...should make about 400 HP for about $4500.00... should be ideal for street use. If you want real HP though, you need Keith's engine program.

SSSammy 09-05-2006 05:41 PM

Nothin' wrong with saving $$. I've thought about a build myself, bought the books, read the threads here, and I think I'd have a tough time with it. Never built an engine, all I've ever done was a valve job. After reading the Jag manual, I'm letting ERA do the IRS rebuild also.

Sam

ZOERA-SC7XX 09-05-2006 06:36 PM

Smart move having ERA do the rear. I'm doing my own rear but have run into many obstacles, including wrong ratio, bad internal components, cracked hub carriers. I ended up spending more doing it myself. As for the engine, I had the short block done by a local machine shop, and purchased the heads done by another shop. Sometimes it's best to just write a check. Good luck.

Dwight 09-05-2006 07:51 PM

390 for sale

MOTOR IS SOLD

A 1969 FE 390 with Edelbrock combination of aluminum RPM heads, intake and hi-performance cam and lifters with Comp Cams roller adjustable rocker kit, and 750 cfm Edelbrock Carb. Crank 10/10, stock pistons and rods. Highly qualified mechanic estimates horsepower at approximately 450. Duraspark electronic ignition. All new accessories (water pump, distributor, alternator, etc.). Oil pan to breather, pulleys to flywheel. Hook up the fuel line and coil wire, install a starter, bolt it to a trannie and she is ready to run. Motor has 600 - 700 miles on it. Mike bought a Keith Craft 468 cid motor that should be delivered to Mike late this month. You can drive the Cobra with the 390 before we pull it or we can make a video of it running. Great motor for $5000.

Dwight Frye algunruner@aol.com pics in my gallery

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...80DSCN2802.JPG

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../DSCN32881.JPG