Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Keith Craft Racing

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default 428FE for Street?

Keith, I'm thinking about a motor for an ERA 427 Street kit. The car will have the restrictive undercar exhaust, no hood scoop, and only be driven on the street, with some highway cruising. I am seeking drivability with a 3.31 IRS and T-600 with .64 top gear. To stay fairly correct for eventual resale purposes, I'm biased toward a 428 block. But I doubt that I need more than 450 HP. Can you suggest a configuration and approximate price that I can budget around?

Thanks and regards,
Sam
Old 09-04-2006, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I see no problem using a good 428 block for this. I have several 428 3 web service blocks that are real nice. I would do a 4.125 or 4.250 Scat cast steel stroke crankshaft with a 4.155 to 4.165 bore for 445 to 460 C.I. I would install a hydraulic roller camshaft for durability and power and use our stage 1 heads for the power level that you want. you would spend about 10,500.00 building the engine complete of the dyno with balance, build, part and dyno sheets. There are always several options available that can affect the finaly price one way or the other. Just let us know how we can help. Thanks, Keith
Old 09-04-2006, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just a collection of parts right now...
Send a message via MSN to spl310
Not Ranked     

Pardon my ignorance, but why do folks so often stroke the 428? Seems to me that 428ci built pretty stock would be plenty fun on the street.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Simple............more power !
Old 09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks and a related question ...

Thanks for the prompt reply, Keith. I will be contacting you when the time comes. Is an external oil cooler necessary or recommended for this engine in Texas summer climate?

Best regards,
Sam
Old 09-05-2006, 03:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I'm a little more budget oriented...I used a 390 block converted to a 428 (.080 over) with 1U crank and std 428 KB pistons (10.0:1), 69 cc heads w/CJ vaves and a Comp. Cams 270H grind...should make about 400 HP for about $4500.00... should be ideal for street use. If you want real HP though, you need Keith's engine program.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nothin' wrong with saving $$. I've thought about a build myself, bought the books, read the threads here, and I think I'd have a tough time with it. Never built an engine, all I've ever done was a valve job. After reading the Jag manual, I'm letting ERA do the IRS rebuild also.

Sam
Old 09-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Smart move having ERA do the rear. I'm doing my own rear but have run into many obstacles, including wrong ratio, bad internal components, cracked hub carriers. I ended up spending more doing it myself. As for the engine, I had the short block done by a local machine shop, and purchased the heads done by another shop. Sometimes it's best to just write a check. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default 390 for sale

MOTOR IS SOLD

A 1969 FE 390 with Edelbrock combination of aluminum RPM heads, intake and hi-performance cam and lifters with Comp Cams roller adjustable rocker kit, and 750 cfm Edelbrock Carb. Crank 10/10, stock pistons and rods. Highly qualified mechanic estimates horsepower at approximately 450. Duraspark electronic ignition. All new accessories (water pump, distributor, alternator, etc.). Oil pan to breather, pulleys to flywheel. Hook up the fuel line and coil wire, install a starter, bolt it to a trannie and she is ready to run. Motor has 600 - 700 miles on it. Mike bought a Keith Craft 468 cid motor that should be delivered to Mike late this month. You can drive the Cobra with the 390 before we pull it or we can make a video of it running. Great motor for $5000.

Dwight Frye algunruner@aol.com pics in my gallery

Last edited by Dwight; 09-15-2006 at 08:13 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: