Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Ok, here is another can of worms

Are the big block cars overpowered?

I know that HP is (like certain anatomical features) USUALLY thought of by most of us as being an end in and of itself WITHOUT diminishing marginal returns.

More is always better.

But are the big-block cars too much of a good thing?

I would think that the balance of a small block, while still producing more than adequate HP for almost any real world situation, would just make more sense day to day given the handling advantages as well as the practical (gas mileage, repair bills etc.) considerations.

I have also heard that the big-block cars can be tricky where overheating (both engine and driver) are concerned.

But I have never owned (or even driven) either one.

What do you guys think?

Do you big-block guys ever wish you had a little LESS under the hood (or wherever, as the case may be)?

How does real-world ownership experience inform the decision of how much power is enough?

TIA for the input.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

There seems to be a common misconception that big-block cars are nose heavy.

I have an iron 427 S/O in mine with ali heads and the front to rear weight distribution is 48% front/52% rear, which is just about perfect.

The total weight is 1,160kg including me (97kg) and half a tank of fuel.

Paul
Old 08-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP241 427 S/C 482 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Stimpy,,,,,,,best answer is,,,one of each.............Ron
Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Hey Stimpy, what's going on with the worm references?

Your next thread after the "value" and the "big block versus small block" thread should be the holy grail thread where you ask if the Kirkham is indeed a "REAL" Cobra. That would be the trifecta.

There are buyers who favor fiberglass (or carbon fiber) and there are buyers who favor aluminum. Same goes with small blocks and big blocks.

I agree with Paul (Fatboy). Our weight distribution is about the same and my Kirkham weighs 2,128 lbs. Total weight and weight distribution are not issues with a big block Kirkham.

When stop n' go traffic is encountered on a hot day, the interior of the Kirkham doesn't seem all that hot to me and when the water temperature starts to rise, just flip on the fan and voila! The water temperature almost immediately goes back down to normal.

FE's are definitely more expensive to purchase, but maintenance and reliability are similar, assuming you have a good engine builder. Most small block Cobras put out about 400-550 HP and most big blocks are in the range of 500-650 HP. So the HP is pretty close and comparable in some cases. In my case, I have never wished for less power, but I have wished for more. I wouldn't mind what Ron has and own one of each. But for me, the big block is my 1st choice, obviously.

For me, it "boiled" down to which body style looked better to my eyes.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'm going to agree with Rod, again. Stimpy, you can easily make rational arguments comparing small blocks versus big blocks and the small block will come out on top virtually every time (if argued correctly). The two exceptions are the "coolness" factor and the sound -- and those might not even be important to you. A small block can get you just as much, or more, usable horsepower, will weigh less, will usually have less maintenance, will rev just as well or better, will be easier to work on because there's more room under the hood, will get better gas mileage, and will cost you a good bit less. That said, a small block will not sound the same, regardless of the pipes or displacement, and, arguably, will not possess the same coolness factor. Personally, I would never switch out my big block for a small block, unless I went with a FIA type car, which is just not me.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Everyone's ownership goals are different. I didn't choose a big block FE because of a power requirement, I bought it because it was part and parcel to what constituted a "Cobra" to me. The 427 side oiler FE engine was rare then and even rarer now. But that's what I wanted so I searched until I found one. And now I cannot ever foresee a Cobra or GT40 in my life without an FE.

There is nothing cheap, refined, ordinary, practical or moderate about a big block FE. Just like I like it.......
Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Ren...oops...Stimpy

Folks who comment about problems with big blocks are typically running small blocks.

Many assamples like mine: I have a big lumpy stinkin motor...big everything. I drive it everywhere I would drive my daily driver (well, I'm a little shy about heavy rain or snow)...including 100+ days in stop and go traffic. It stays at 80-90C. My oil temps rarely get high enough to where they probably should be.

I rarely have had problems with the motor...the few times had more to do with my dumbassed choice of using a solid roller cam back in the early part of this century...and even that didn't cause a terminal illness.

Don't know where you're getting your info, but it simply does not match reality...builds obviously vary.

That being said, you don't need to justify using a small block by seeing problems with big blocks (or visa versa)...they are both wonderful means of moving these damn little cars forward.

I've often thought of a small block slabside with full weather gear (i usually think about it when I'm out in the rain), but not at the expense of the current tin can.

Yes...one of both would be mucho muy goodo.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Just a figure of speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Hey Stimpy, what's going on with the worm references?

Your next thread after the "value" and the "big block versus small block" thread should be the holy grail thread where you ask if the Kirkham is indeed a "REAL" Cobra. That would be the trifecta.

There are buyers who favor fiberglass (or carbon fiber) and there are buyers who favor aluminum. Same goes with small blocks and big blocks.

I agree with Paul (Fatboy). Our weight distribution is about the same and my Kirkham weighs 2,128 lbs. Total weight and weight distribution are not issues with a big block Kirkham.

When stop n' go traffic is encountered on a hot day, the interior of the Kirkham doesn't seem all that hot to me and when the water temperature starts to rise, just flip on the fan and voila! The water temperature almost immediately goes back down to normal.

FE's are definitely more expensive to purchase, but maintenance and reliability are similar, assuming you have a good engine builder. Most small block Cobras put out about 400-550 HP and most big blocks are in the range of 500-650 HP. So the HP is pretty close and comparable in some cases. In my case, I have never wished for less power, but I have wished for more. I wouldn't mind what Ron has and own one of each. But for me, the big block is my 1st choice, obviously.

For me, it "boiled" down to which body style looked better to my eyes.
I don't really care whether the thing is "real" or not. From what I can see the Kirkhams are BETTER than the originals in most of ways that matter to enjoying the car itself.

ESPECIALLY where insurance would be concerned.

(speaking of which, is there a diffrence to the insurance companies?)

Aluminum vs fiberglass I have some strong feelings about, but that is why (to use another FOS) they make chocolate and vanilla.

Information about the weight and overheating (and anything else where there is a difference) is the only thing I am interested in.

I want one of these things and doing the homework first seems to make sense since they don't have them at mu local Ford dealer.

I have no other agenda, nor am I looking to start flame wars or pissin' contests.

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I want one of these things and doing the homework first seems to make sense since they don't have them at mu local Ford dealer.
Yep, a lot of us watched and studied the replica biz for decades before we finally made our choice. Honestly, the very best thing you can do is start reading the threads on this board, everything except the Lounge, and read, or at least skim, all of them going back several years. Then, if you still want one, make your decision in the spring of next year. It will take you at least that long to barely get up to speed. Seriously. There's a ton of things you don't know, and don't even realize you don't know, but really should know, before you pull the trigger.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would recommend that you attend a local Saturday morning breakfast. We have them in the Sacramento, Livermore and SF Peninsula/South Bay locations. Don't know where you're located, but we're always happy to answer questions about our cars.

Even better yet, the SAAC (Shelby American Automobile Club), in conjunction with the NorCal Shelby Club, is holding their (our) National convention THIS WEEKEND at Infineon. You will not see more Cobras, both small block and/or big block, in any other location in the entire world.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It will take you at least that long to barely get up to speed. Seriously. There's a ton of things you don't know, and don't even realize you don't know, but really should know, before you pull the trigger.
And we haven't even broached the subject of CA registration and SB100.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

RodKnock:
I have an early SPF with a Windsor engine. I had it weighed on a certified scale and it came in at 2,600 pounds. How does Kirkham build a big block at 2,128 pounds?

Bob
Old 08-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
RodKnock:
I have an early SPF with a Windsor engine. I had it weighed on a certified scale and it came in at 2,600 pounds. How does Kirkham build a big block at 2,128 pounds?

Bob
I think that most newer Kirkhams with their billet aluminum suspension, all-aluminum big block, QT bellhousing, aluminum rear end, etc. come in around 2,150 lbs. My Kirkham was weighed and corner balanced.

From the Kirkham website, about the 7th paragraph down, you will see their mention of weight:

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/wh...ase-a-kirkham/
Old 08-24-2010, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks guys, all great advice

I live in Marin so if I can I was planning on attending the SAAC thing this weekend.

As for SB100, I have been looking at it for a while and I think I understand the process.

Obviously an already registered car would be a plus, but it doesn't sound like it is that bad these days, again with the economy looking soft the State needs the $ and I hear there are still numbers left from 2010.

Next spring sounds perfect, that way I can really do the work and I don't have to WISH I was driving it in the rain...

Thanks again for all the great stuff, I will try to meet you guys at SAAC if I can.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I live in Marin so if I can I was planning on attending the SAAC thing this weekend.

As for SB100, I have been looking at it for a while and I think I understand the process.

Obviously an already registered car would be a plus, but it doesn't sound like it is that bad these days, again with the economy looking soft the State needs the $ and I hear there are still numbers left from 2010.

Next spring sounds perfect, that way I can really do the work and I don't have to WISH I was driving it in the rain...

Thanks again for all the great stuff, I will try to meet you guys at SAAC if I can.
I forgot to mention that there's a North Bay group too. They usually meet around the Petaluma area, but they do get down to Marin county as well.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #625 427S/C, 468 ci Al block, 615 HP
Not Ranked     

A properly set up big block is not overpowered and the big block suits the character of the car very well. "Cobras" are brutish cars, and the mad dog power at all rpm of the 427 works well. I have driven a small block car extensively and while fun it is not as thrilling. Throttle modulation is necessary, but also a good life skill.

Mark
Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

All good points were made here concerning Big Block, Small Black, Alloy, and Fiberglass. But the one thing you haven't mentioned is what you want to do with a Cobra. Are you a competitor or are you gonna throw a lawn chair in the back and do the show thing. Are there plans for some long trips?. If so gas mileage is an issue as well as how far on a tank you can go with a big block.
Either way these cars are a hoot to drive and they command respect regardless of Big or Small Block.

Hersh
Old 08-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

BT Snake makes a good point.
And if you love sports cars like Porsches, you better spend some time in a Cobra BEFORE peeling off those hundreds.
rodneym
Old 08-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT SNAKE View Post
Are there plans for some long trips?. If so gas mileage is an issue as well as how far on a tank you can go with a big block. Hersh
The Kirkham Cobra has a 30-gallon tank standard as well as an optional 42-gallon tank.

As many of us have said here before, if gas mileage is an issue, then buy a Toyota Prius, Chevy Volt or a Nissan Leaf. You would fit in just fine in my neighborhood and Marin too.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I think you will find that most fiberglass cars outweigh the alloy cars by a considerable amount.....two people could pickup the frame for my car but it took 6 people to pick up the body......but it also has all the inner fender panels and cockpit tub and trunk pan glassed to the body......and as for the big block vs the small block thing....if you go with the 427 s/c then use a big block because thats what the originals came with and leave the small block for the fia or slab side cars.....jmo