Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     
Default KM427 build, what options do you recommend?

Hi all,

I'm going to be ordering a KMSC427 in the near future and I wanted some advice/tips/recommendations on the options which you think are useful/worthwhile, the ones that you would "pass" on, and any other info about this subject.
So far I'm thinking about the extended footboxes since I'm 6'1", the adjustable seat track as my wife will be driving it too.
Other options that we are looking at; brake upgrade? Stainless chassis? Adjustable vs non adjustable shocks? Larger fuel tank (42 gal)?
This will be a weekend, semi daily driver (drive to work when the weather is really nice, not too often I imagine since I'm in Chicago ), and occasional track car (nothing too hardcore since I have other "hardcore" track vehicles).

I'm planning on going to see Kirkham in Provo at the end of this month to take a closer look at the cars, different options and such. So I would like to have a list of things to checkout at the shop before the purchase.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Arno

Last edited by Avmaviator; 03-07-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham stroker 48 webers
Not Ranked     

get them to do the wheelwell foam I also wish I had gotten the Goodyear tire
upgrade. The dropped foot box is perfect for a tall guy. If you are not going to have it painted you might look at them to sand the body. you will spend alot of time out in the garage drooling on it. lololol
Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

stainless frame, sidepipes, roll bar. Upgraded carpet, Tremec plates welded to frame,standard fuel tank, brushed finish,upgraded tires, wheel well padding, side pipe cutouts, standard brakes fine, non adjustable shocks fine, CV joints
Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

The brake upgrade is a good idea. I would also purchase their clutch kit as well. The fuel sender is a good idea. I think the larger tank is not necessary. SS header kit is a must. I saved money by polishing them myself. You need a kick ass bufffer to do that though. I would also get their oil cooler kit. The SS steering shaft is a good idea. I polished mine as well. I did end up buying their cooling resevoir. It doesn't leak and looks nice. I also bought te SS five speed shifter
Chris
Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Definitely ask for the magnesium wheel upgrade. Well worth it.

Inside joke, sorry.

The big tank isn't necessary. The standard tank is 30 gallons, which seems like more than enough. Get the bigger brakes. Get the Avon tire upgrade if you feel like spending extra money, certainly money better spent than on the stainless steel frame upgrade, though everyone is different in their likes and dislikes.

I'd have them cut the holes to the sidepipes and definitely get the wheelwell foam, though you could do that if you're the industrious type.

I also think the non-adjustable shocks are great, but I've never felt how the adjustable shocks feel, but I believe most buyers opt for non-adjustable shocks.

Then there are the exterior finish options. Filed, Brushed or Fully Polished. Center stripes or no center stripes and also there are the team stripes for the front fender. If you paint your car, then the Filed finish is free. The other naked aluminum options are really your individual preference. Each finish has its fans.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I also think the non-adjustable shocks are great, but I've never felt how the adjustable shocks feel, but I believe most buyers opt for non-adjustable shocks.
Having an adjustable garage floor has obviated your need for adjustable shocks...

Inside joke, sorry-but the advice given is spot on.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 557
Not Ranked     

The wheel well foam is essential. I got the non-adjustable shocks and it rides and corners very well ( I don't track the car though). Get the half-shafts, drive shaft and retainer and the billet expansion tank. I'd also suggest stainless headers due to the weather in your area and the likelihood of sand and salt on the roads.

The 30 gal tank is adequate but have them plumb it for a return line and ensure that they put in a fuel gauge (neither option was explained to me when I first ordered the car, but I had them added later).

I also got the aluminum differential carrier, stainless roll bar, fire extinguisher, passenger side wheel well vents, stainless footbox heat shields, adjustable passenger seat and wool carpets. We also got the clutch package and, as best I can recall, around 3.80 differential gears.

We ordered our car sanded at the 300 grit level and polished it and brushed the center stripes ourselves. Took 2 months working weekends. We installed the carpets and it was quite a job.

We didn't order the stainless frame or the aluminum door and hood frames, but the car weighs in around 2150 pounds.

Good luck with your order and have fun!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Avmaviator,

Best thing to do is talk to David. Some items mentioned below are now standard anyways. At least they were when I ordered mine (600). He won't try to sell you on anything you don't need or desire.
He'll want to know what engine and tranny you're putting in, how you plan on driving it, etc.

Have fun.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am really glad I asked you guys these questions! Tons of good advice here, thanks lot!

ERA Chas, I'm planning on having an adjustable garage floor for this build too Probably a two posts.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avmaviator View Post
ERA Chas, I'm planning on having an adjustable garage floor for this build too Probably a two posts.
Avm, Chas is giving me a hard time about my car sitting in the garage all the time. I don't really have an adjustable garage floor.

Chas probably stepped out to the garage to check his tire pressure and oil since he runs no valve caps or hood.

The aluminum Kirkham rear end is standard, but you could probably delete it and save some money by buying a rebuilt Jaguar rear end. The Kirkham rear end saves you about 45 lbs, but that's from memory, so I'm probably wrong.

Do you want black steel or the stainless steel sidepipes?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Avm, Chas is giving me a hard time about my car sitting in the garage all the time. I don't really have an adjustable garage floor.

Chas probably stepped out to the garage to check his tire pressure and oil since he runs no valve caps or hood.

The aluminum Kirkham rear end is standard, but you could probably delete it and save some money by buying a rebuilt Jaguar rear end. The Kirkham rear end saves you about 45 lbs, but that's from memory, so I'm probably wrong.

Do you want black steel or the stainless steel sidepipes?
Ah ok gotcha, I'm behind in the inside jokes

So far I like the painted black steel pipes, unless they are a pain to keep up (I imagine they might need repainting once in a while? I plan on driving this a good amount) Brushed finished without the stripes.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Avmaviator,

Best thing to do is talk to David. Some items mentioned below are now standard anyways. At least they were when I ordered mine (600). He won't try to sell you on anything you don't need or desire.
He'll want to know what engine and tranny you're putting in, how you plan on driving it, etc.

Have fun.
Great question and responses. I have 690 on order (289 FIA) and many of these things are standard from what I understand. I did order the expanded foot boxes, ss frame (cool factor only), and the tires. Filed finish as I will be painting it. Hopefully it has now left Poland and is on it way. I should have it sometime in late June.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also had the rear bulkhead panel powdercoated and definitely the battery disconnect, though that may be standard

A few things that I added to my car after my car left UT.

1. Air scoops for the vents inside the front nose.
2. Vents in the front wheelwells for additional cooling for the engine compartment.
3. Carpeted the trunk.
4. A gas cap inside the Kirkham gas cap.

Again, we're all different.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Consider black coated or painted stainless pipes as I've had for decades. The finish may chip over time but the metal will not rust or corrode beneath. Just because they're stainless, they don't have to be shiny.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I prefer the black pipe look as well. After the shop "spliced" in some Hushpower mufflers (instead of the factory Kirkham steel pipes), the shop then sent them out to be hi temp coated. Mine still look great, but then I don't have 10,000 miles on my car.

Wait, wait, wait for it, here it comes............
Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I prefer the black pipe look as well. After the shop "spliced" in some Hushpower mufflers (instead of the factory Kirkham steel pipes), the shop then sent them out to be hi temp coated. Mine still look great, but then I don't have 10,000 miles on my car.

Wait, wait, wait for it, here it comes............
Do the Hushpower mufflers make a big difference noise wise? How about power wise?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #625 427S/C, 468 ci Al block, 615 HP
Not Ranked     

The rolling chassis that the Kirkhams sell has gotten steadily more complete over the years. As was said, David is extremely helpful and straightforward in helping you pick the right choice for your use. My personal recommendations:

polished stainless headers/sidepipes if you get the polished body

wheelwell foam

Avon tires

clutch fork

standard shocks

footwell vents

leather wrapped steering wheel

powder coated rear bulkhead

You will love your Kirkham however you option it, and there is no one more customer oriented than they are, so the buying experience is as good as the car.

have fun, Mark
Old 03-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avmaviator View Post
Do the Hushpower mufflers make a big difference noise wise? How about power wise?
I have no evidence of any HP claims, but they're slightly less loud than the standard Kirkham-supplied sidepipe. A little more mellow, but certainly not mellow by any stretch.

The Hushpower's (owned by Flowmaster) claim is that they're less restrictive (more HP), but also quieter. I like the sound very much and I had a sidepipe-equipped mid-year Corvette for a very long time.

All in all, a good recommendation by my shop.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do you have 10,000 covers on the car...?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just spent 2.5 hrs talking with Steve and Tom at their shop. Manis that place awesome or what! The machine room is amazing. I got to look at all the different options, sit in the car, and just drool over all the cool cars.
Should be placing the order next week