Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 20 kirkhams will be legal for import to Canada

20 kirkhams will be legal for import to Canada in 2013 being 15 years old from date of production 1996 . any thoughts ?
Sdr
Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On the same note , Do the kirkhams make a canadian legal kit ? does anyone here own one of the first kirkhams here ? when did they start producing the 289 - whew - got to lay. Off the expresso in the morning !
Happy new year !
Sdr
Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

Do you really want to drive fast in a 15 year old Cobra? How much updating do you want to do after paying for a car of that vintage? DO you really want to trust your life and that of your passenger with 15 year old safety features? How tired is the frame after 15 years of flexing? I personally know of 4 men who purchased 4 different pre-owned Cobras who dealing with over -heats, incorrect rear end set ups, bump steer, difficult peddle set ups, worn out engines etc. These units were purchased from 35 to 50 thousand dollar range. When having to redesign the rack and pinion on a used car because of bump steer is very expensive.

DO you really want to send your money on a car that will have to be brought up to Canadian Standards just to get it registered and insured in Canada? Our DOT is very sticky on kit cars, and rollers being brought into Canada for a reason. DO you think the State side manufacturers give two hoots about a 15 year old car?? NOT!!!

Last edited by Mother; 12-30-2012 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting viewpoint. But I drive fast in my 45 year old shelby. Would seem to me that if proplerly maintained speed is not a problem
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mother asks of any reader of this thread: "DO you really want to send your money on a car that will have to be brought up to Canadian Standards just to get it registered and insured in Canada?"

Offer us some details. What do you think a purchaser of a 1996 or older Kirkham replica would be legally obliged to do as a condition of registering the car and, more to my curiousity in asking, have it insured?

The shortcomings you mention in your post are technical: a frame weakened by repeated flexing, over heating, incorrect rear end set-ups, bump steer difficult pedal set-ups, and worn engines would concern a purchaser of any older car and all are subject to remedy by the new owner. How do these limitations fall under the scope of a regulation governing licensing or an insuror's requirements for minimal coverage?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother View Post
Do you really want to drive fast in a 15 year old Cobra? How much updating do you want to do after paying for a car of that vintage? DO you really want to trust your life and that of your passenger with 15 year old safety features? How tired is the frame after 15 years of flexing? I personally know of 4 men who purchased 4 different pre-owned Cobras who dealing with over -heats, incorrect rear end set ups, bump steer, difficult peddle set ups, worn out engines etc. These units were purchased from 35 to 50 thousand dollar range. When having to redesign the rack and pinion on a used car because of bump steer is very expensive.

DO you really want to send your money on a car that will have to be brought up to Canadian Standards just to get it registered and insured in Canada? Our DOT is very sticky on kit cars, and rollers being brought into Canada for a reason. DO you think the State side manufacturers give two hoots about a 15 year old car?? NOT!!!

Makes no sense. Kirkham is a premier builder and 15 years is nothing for that car. People are driving other replicas that are 30 years old. You just need to constantly inspect and monitor things.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I'm sorry Mother, but that makes no sense whatsoever. The points you raise could equally be applied to a brand new car and come down to being properly setup rather than any deficiency by the manufacturer. As a Kirkham owner, I wouldn't have any concerns about a 15, 25 or even 50 year old example.

Paul
Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My point was more to the ability to import a kirkham into Canada ! But I do appreciate your imput Mother . To my other ? Does anyone know if the kirkhams make a import friendly kit and when they started 289 production ? Would love to hear about Steve cassani's slab side and see some pics .
Happy new year
Sdr
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

I am sorry that I have caused concern from Kirham Owners. I just feel that due to my lack of knowledge and ability to build a kit, I would not purchase ANY 15 year old pre-owned unit. I did afford a custom built 427 AC Cobra from Boss Replica Motors who are located in Burlington Ontario Canada. They have been in business for over 17 years. B.R.M. has built about 41 cars so far. Boss Replica Motors, cars are able to be registered, plated, and insured in all of Canada without any problems. The frames are certified by our Department of Transportation. B.R.M. is still in business with 3 cars being currently built. These are two complete units and one Kit.

Last edited by Mother; 12-30-2012 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am sorry that I have caused concern from Kirham Owners. I just feel that due to my lack of knowledge and ability to build a kit, I would not purchase ANY 15 year old pre-owned unit. I did afford a custom built 427 AC Cobra from Boss Replica Motors who are located in Burlington Ontario Canada. They have been in business for over 17 years. B.R.M. has built about 41 cars so far. Boss Replica Motors, cars are able to be registered, plated, and insured in all of Canada without any problems. The frames are certified by our Department of Transportation. B.R.M. is still in business with 3 cars being currently built. These are two complete units and one Kit.
Honestly, I'd be more concerned about a company that has built 41 cars in 17 years. How do they stay in business?

Mother, you should visit the Monterey Historic Races held at Laguna Seca each year. They have these things with 4 wheels and internal combustion engines that are nearly 100 years old that run around the race track.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mother,

I can assure you that you haven't caused me the least bit of concern. I was simply pointing out the absurdity of your concern. As RodKnock so eloquently highlighted, cars much, much older are being used in anger every weekend of the year at race tracks around the world. Indeed, ALL of the original Cobras are approaching 50 years old and I doubt anyone is suggesting they be consigned to the scrap heap.
It just comes down to careful and appropriate maintenance, which pretty much goes for any car, regardless of age.

Paul

Last edited by FatBoy; 12-31-2012 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedayaurora View Post
20 kirkhams will be legal for import to Canada in 2013 being 15 years old from date of production 1996 . any thoughts ?

On the same note , Do the kirkhams make a canadian legal kit ? does anyone here own one of the first kirkhams here ? when did they start producing the 289 - whew - got to lay. Off the expresso in the morning !
Happy new year !
Sdr
It's one thing for the Kirkham bodies and frames to have been built in 1996, but what will matter is that the cars were completed/finished 15 years ago too and that you can get paperwork to prove it. If so, then you should be able to import them without trouble. Just get Transport Canada's written approval ahead of time, and go for it.

I believe the only U.S. Cobra replica maker to have bothered with creating a special "Canadian kit" is Factory Five Racing. However, you should also be able to import new parts -- frame, body etc. -- from Kirkham as long as the kit doesn't include the "wrong bits." But as the importer it'll be your responsibility to figure out with TC which bits are permissible and which aren't.

Probably the simplest approach would be to copy what FFR does exactly. What works for them should work for anyone else.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My tired ole replica will be 19 years old in July 2013. I may drive it to the nearest scrap dealer early in June 2013.

David
Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

I seem to recall occasionally seeing an advertisement on the left hand side of club cobra for a Canadian kit version from a Shelby dealer.

But if you would like a brand new Canada friendly Kirkham "kit", I bet you could contact the Kirkham brothers and work something out if you helped figure out what the restrictions are.

Wasn't it short time ago that nobody thought they would be able to register a Kirkham in Australia, but now Bernie Knight has a new Kirkham with a Shelby aluminum block motor that he has put 4000 miles on in 2 months... Just hit 6500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
I believe the only U.S. Cobra replica maker to have bothered with creating a special "Canadian kit" is Factory Five Racing. However, you should also be able to import new parts -- frame, body etc. -- from Kirkham as long as the kit doesn't include the "wrong bits." But as the importer it'll be your responsibility to figure out with TC which bits are permissible and which aren't.

Probably the simplest approach would be to copy what FFR does exactly. What works for them should work for anyone else.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Ahh-yes, you're right. Nevada Classics is offering a Canadian continuation-series Cobra package too. And of course Riverside Racers can also import a Superformance Cobra in compliance with TC requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
I seem to recall occasionally seeing an advertisement on the left hand side of club cobra for a Canadian kit version from a Shelby dealer.

But if you would like a brand new Canada friendly Kirkham "kit", I bet you could contact the Kirkham brothers and work something out if you helped figure out what the restrictions are.

Wasn't it short time ago that nobody thought they would be able to register a Kirkham in Australia, but now Bernie Knight has a new Kirkham with a Shelby aluminum block motor that he has put 4000 miles on in 2 months... Just hit 6500
Old 01-08-2013, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP532, KC427FE, TWM
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Oh this is funny... When was the last time you flew? Did it happen to be in a 727 or a 737? Geeze man! You are flying 5 miles up at 600 mph in a 25 or 30 year old jet! I'll take my chances in my POS kirkham....

Oh gads

len

www.KobraBytes.com
Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

p.s. A Cobra was never safe, even when they were new.

www.KobraBytes.com
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobrabytes View Post
p.s. A Cobra was never safe, even when they were new.
Isn't that one of the main reasons we love them so much?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
Isn't that one of the main reasons we love them so much?
Oh ye! I figure that I'm always just about 30 thousandths away from death when I'm going down the road.

Now where did I put those restraints for my Harley?

www.KobraBytes.com
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Kirkham generated hardware is very stable, and I am sure able to be in used into the NEXT century.

I don't consider the Kirkham a kit, it is a piece of artwork.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com