Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   Worn my Kirkham out (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/121028-worn-my-kirkham-out.html)

BMK 06-10-2013 06:45 PM

Worn my Kirkham out

Well just added another 3000 kilometres - 1800 miles - to my Kirkham with a drive up the east coast of Australia.

After leaving Geelong in southern Victoria, I met up with the Canberra and New South Wales members at West Wyalong the location of the first of many early Cobra Nationals in the 1990's.

With day one behind me and around 670 kilometres - 400 miles - I enjoyed a relaxing afternoon of cleaning my cobra for a street parade and show and shine.

The following morning saw me away early, as I woke quite early and headed off to the Gold Coast via Tamworth - the home of Australian Country music - the US Nashville.

Both heavy rain and winds in Queensland saw my taking it quite easy, as the roads had a lot of debri and water on them...**)

So my car has just on 13000 kilometres on it now - 7,800 miles. - in just over 8 months.

So I am enjoying the ride..**)

But wearing it out quickly...:3DSMILE:

Bernie

BMK

Seagull81 06-10-2013 08:19 PM

Sounds like a great time, Bernie! I believe she has a lot more left in her.

bobcowan 06-10-2013 08:35 PM

Only 8,000 miles? Not even close to worn out. You've got another 8-10 years left before you need to think about a rebuild. :)

BMK 06-10-2013 11:23 PM

Seagull81

Yes like a good woman it will do a few more laps..:LOL:

fordracing65 06-10-2013 11:25 PM

Sounds great, I bet your car stops traffic by onlookers, takes some cool pictures of it by the beach, I bet it is the coolest car Down Under...:cool:

BMK 06-10-2013 11:27 PM

bobcowan

Yes sure looking forward to a lot more time in the Kirkham.

I made a few adjustments giving me tons of room extra seat room and comfort.

Pressed the inner guard behind the seat to get it back 1" and depressed the floor under the seat - aptly named the "Bernie Bubble" - so the rubber trampoline base centre does not bottom out on the floor.

Yes a few changers and well worth the effort...:3DSMILE:

Legless 06-11-2013 12:32 AM

You snuck out a bit too early Bernie and missed out on the fun on Sunday. Nice to meet up with everyone at West Wyalong, we had a great time. A few of us got 'pinged' at over 200kph on the Sunday. I'll check and see if I have some video footage of the officer breaking the news to me on a double demerits weekend!! :cool: :eek: :D

BMK 06-11-2013 03:04 AM

Legless

Brings back memories of the Police out at the track with the Kustom HR4 radars in the late 90's. It is great PR though.

Sorry please pass on my thanks to all in the Canberra and New South Wales clubs. I wanted to get up to the Gold Coast early as the temperature was just on 12c warmer.. :MECOOL:

twin turbo 06-11-2013 01:28 PM

Sounds like you've just gotten it properly broken in. Cheers.

BMK 06-11-2013 04:52 PM

twin turbo

Yes it is well run in.

The drive back to Queensland sees me leaving the car there with the Kirkham Australian agent Absolute Pace. They have a very large workshop, sales and manufacturing facility and carry quite a bit of Cobra and some Kirkham stock.

Part of their service and sales, is a full follow up on the Cobra and a thorough check over of every nut, bolt and fitting. Bit like a 10,000 first service but very thorough..%/

I have a few minor issues such as led globes on my gauges failing on one or two of the gauges. The indicator/ flasher stalk is intermittent on high beam.

I have had a few minor fuel tank problems and Absolute Pace will swap my tank out and replace it with a new one - service as good as my Ford dealership..:3DSMILE: a leaking diff seal is being looked at also.

David Kirkham 06-12-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMK (Post 1248039)
Well just added another 3000 kilometres - 1800 miles - to my Kirkham with a drive up the east coast of Australia.

After leaving Geelong in southern Victoria, I met up with the Canberra and New South Wales members at West Wyalong the location of the first of many early Cobra Nationals in the 1990's.

With day one behind me and around 670 kilometres - 400 miles - I enjoyed a relaxing afternoon of cleaning my cobra for a street parade and show and shine.

The following morning saw me away early, as I woke quite early and headed off to the Gold Coast via Tamworth - the home of Australian Country music - the US Nashville.

Both heavy rain and winds in Queensland saw my taking it quite easy, as the roads had a lot of debri and water on them...**)

So my car has just on 13000 kilometres on it now - 7,800 miles. - in just over 8 months.

So I am enjoying the ride..**)

But wearing it out quickly...:3DSMILE:

Bernie

BMK

We have customers with right at 100,000 miles on their cars. The only thing that should wear out is your bum :LOL:

David
:):):)

BMK 06-13-2013 05:28 PM

David,

Made to drive.....

jolsen42 06-13-2013 06:21 PM

There's a guy over on the FFCars forum named Ralph Button nicknamed "Traveler" that must be close to, or surpassed 500,000 miles. He had 435,000 back in 2011.

John O

BMK 06-15-2013 03:41 AM

jolsen42

Yes we have a Harley owner in South Australia who is always at events and traveling. Worn a few engines out..:LOL:

Google - Kitcar magazine Route 66 GT40

That is serious traveling in tight surrounds..:3DSMILE:

My trek down/across Route 66....%/

jolsen42 06-15-2013 08:06 AM

Bernie, I remember that article vividly. A great trip and quite wonderfully writen. But still not a half million miles. :D I hope you know I'm just kidding you. :LOL:

John O

hectorturer 06-15-2013 09:14 AM

that's a ''break in'' period..

BMK 06-16-2013 02:26 AM

Thanks guys - yes just run in.

The few little things playing up or not working have just been replaced by Kirkhams Australian agent Absolute Pace.

So guess there will be spare parts on the way to Australia to restock Craig's shelves.

BMK 06-28-2013 07:21 PM

Getting ready to do it all again and drive it back home..

BMK 12-11-2013 10:33 AM

Still driving it.

Queensland back to South Australia - half way around Australia..:3DSMILE:

South Australia to Motorclassic, then the Geelong Speed trials. Along with the five or so trips down the Great Ocean Road.

No real problems - but would love to be able to stop the Tremec leaking fluid. Guess it has to wait until I pull the engine out to get to it..

I just cannot seem to get the handbrake to work and I am considering using a Street Rod vintage handbrake as the Kirkham one does not pull up on the cable.

Anyway off to Melbourne this weekend...

BMK 12-13-2013 02:06 PM

Anyone else experienced problems with the handbrake?

I have it working and it just lets go of tension on the cables?