Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2016, 03:23 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     
Default Ignition light won't go out

I have a Kirkham 427 (#174) and am the one and only owner, since about '02.. Running well until a few weeks ago, when I noted that my headlights were pretty dim (not that they were ever that good, and I had my cataracts done 6 months ago, so that wasn't it!). Voltmeter gauge reading 12V with car at about 3000 RPMs. Battery good at 12V (ignition off), and with car at about 2K, RPMs, the VOM reading across the battery terminals was about 12, as well. Figured it was the alternator.

Took the alternator off the and noted that the insulation on the "Batt" terminal wire (thick red one) had rubbed off and was touching the alternator case. Took the alternator to a reputable auto electric shop and the guy tested it and said it fine. Repaired the worn insulation and zipped 'er back together.

Car started fine (of course) but the "red ignition light" wouldn't go out, and the voltmeter/gauge read 12V, instead of 13+. Figured that maybe I'd crossed the "field" and "stator" wires on the alternator, tho' I was pretty careful. Since those wires are really hard to access, without starting over, I just switched them at the VR. Light still wouldn't extinguish. Went to the wiring diagram Kirkham gave me and it looked to me like the wiring on the car from them was different than what I've had for years without trouble.

Next, I bought a new VR (O'Reilly) but no matter how I wire the VR (the way I think it came from Kirkham or by their schematic) I can't get the light to go on, or it goes on, but won't go off. By the voltmeter, sometimes the charging value is 13-14V, as it should be, but not always. By now, i've tried so many permutations I can't recall what's what, but it has NEVER been right (light on at ignition, then off, voltmeter @ 13-14V, charging) since I took the alternator off.

Of course, the car starts fine, but not convinced it's charging correctly, and the light should go on and off, as it did before.

Should i take the alternator off again and retest? Could it be something else I haven't thought of??

thanx steve meltzer
Old 12-18-2016, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I had a lot of related issues with my ERA when I was getting it up and running. I suspect that basically the red light circuit isn't exciting the voltage regulator into "regulating" and since the alternator isn't hearing of a demand from the VR, it's not charging above the default 12V.

It's a confounding problem to resolve. Even when my charging light bulb was burning I didn't have enough resistance to excite the VR and ERA had to rig up a resistor to work in parallel with the bulb to create enough circuit resistance. But since yours was working before something has changed. I understand that bench checks of alternators is sort of an iffy thing. They may produce 12 V but will they spool up to the 13.5 to 14 V as demand is put on the charging system? You may have to try another alternator but most dealers are hesitant to take back electrical parts that have been installed.