Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   Welcome me home! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/128341-welcome-me-home.html)

1965482 03-26-2014 10:30 AM

Welcome me home!

5 Attachment(s)
First post, First Cobra..

Enter Kirkham # 625

Anyone with any previous history about my car ,please chime in,
And Hello David Kirkham!!
Thanks
Michael

buddyg 03-26-2014 11:02 AM

Congrats! You will love owning a Cobra!

maurice19 03-26-2014 11:05 AM

You did good, Michael

Maurice

mrmustang 03-26-2014 11:13 AM

That was Mark Thompson's car.

CLICK HERE did not know it was even for sale.

Bill S.

1965482 03-26-2014 11:47 AM

Yes Paperwork says Mark Thompson,
Very Very well optioned car.

HMMM, his stat sheet says 468 cu
mine, or K Craft says 482

blown871 03-26-2014 12:49 PM

suh weeeeet ride.

RodKnock 03-26-2014 01:42 PM

Mark had a 468ci engine built, not a 482ci. He wanted the shorter stroke for quicker/higher revving IIRC.

I knew Mark had it for sale and sold it, but didn't know where it ended up. Congrats.

RodKnock 03-26-2014 01:47 PM

I also remember Mark building a head pad mount for the roll bar and installing a head cushion. I wonder what happened to that piece. I thought he had a thread on CC about fabricating it.

Although he didn't live too far away from me, I never did meet Mark. But he seemed like a very smart guy and was very particular (detailed) about his build.

1965482 03-26-2014 02:26 PM

I have put a few hundred miles on it already..all local..
Very addicting , like Heroin I am sure!

I havent had time to address the only problem..
Thats Dieseling..
I am waiting for the first tank to run through but when shes hot I must kill the engine with the gear box..
Possbly carbon hot spots in cylinder heads igniting bad gas..

KCraft says check timing and gas..
may have to install solenoid on idle valve..

I have tried shutting fuel pump 2 minutes before I park but thats no way to count on a good outcome.

All good though...actually Incredible high each drive..hope it never ends!

Any other suggestions on cure?

RodKnock 03-26-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965482 (Post 1292731)
I have put a few hundred miles on it already..all local..
Very addicting , like Heroin I am sure!

I havent had time to address the only problem..
Thats Dieseling..
I am waiting for the first tank to run through but when shes hot I must kill the engine with the gear box..
Possbly carbon hot spots in cylinder heads igniting bad gas..

KCraft says check timing and gas..
may have to install solenoid on idle valve..

I have tried shutting fuel pump 2 minutes before I park but thats no way to count on a good outcome.

All good though...actually Incredible high each drive..hope it never ends!

Any other suggestions on cure?

With Mark living in the SF Bay Area, I'm sure Keith didn't build a lot of compression into his 468. Also, Mark probably didn't drive it much, so timing and gas is an excellent start. I'd check the spark plugs and wires too just to make sure those are good. Also, make sure your cooling system and fan are functioning properly.

mrmustang 03-26-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1292744)
With Mark living in the SF Bay Area, I'm sure Keith didn't build a lot of compression into his 468. Also, Mark probably didn't drive it much, so timing and gas is an excellent start. I'd check the spark plugs and wires too just to make sure those are good. Also, make sure your cooling system and fan are functioning properly.

On top of that I'd lower the floats on the carb(s), put smaller primary jets in, maybe even check the carb size, as KC is known for his "bigger is better" carb applications ;)

Are you in NYC, NJ, Westchester, or out on the Island? I ask as there are several decent shops that you could be point to in order to set the car up for your wants and needs.

Bill S.

King- cobra 03-26-2014 06:04 PM

Pm sent as I owned this car after Mark

It is not a KC engine

MRGEORGE077 03-26-2014 06:10 PM

Sweet ride, what color are you going to paint it? :)

Calicoco 03-26-2014 07:27 PM

Great looking, congrats and enjoy!!

Clois Harlan 03-27-2014 05:59 AM

Beautiful ride and Keith builds a very nice engine. If you find yourself on gravel roads for any amount of time and find little pimples that may appear above the wheel wells or on the fenders they can be gently knocked down with a light hammer. It happens, no big deal!

Clois

1965482 03-27-2014 06:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by King- cobra (Post 1292770)
Pm sent as I owned this car after Mark

It is not a KC engine

I see an interim owner, is your first name Robert??

If its not a KC engine please Help me Identify this Pic..
The car definitly has an advanced cam as the Idle is erratic!

EDIT: I Stand Corrected, it is a 468 FE Specialties Engine, 615HP/ 638 Lbs. Torq
Thanks to a previous owner Steve...King Cobra

King- cobra 03-27-2014 06:55 AM

I sent you a PM with my number, feel free to call and I will answer any questions you have.

Steve

1965482 03-27-2014 02:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Can someone suggest the best Replacement spark plug for this FE engine , will try this weekend,
May just be carbon build up as previous owner states never had this problem??

ehhh...Hips dont lie!

sierramadre 03-27-2014 03:53 PM

Beauty! Congrats.

Dimis 03-27-2014 05:36 PM

Welcome and congrats.
Those photos look fantastic...
Also how does that Ferrari go compared to the Kirkham?
;)