Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Phx Mike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2018, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default How long from order until you pick up a Kirkham

Now I doubt they have a half dozen sitting around waiting on someone to buy it, but since shipping is a cost maybe they do ship more base models than they have commitments to purchase. I have no clue, so I'm asking.

Do you have to put money down before they start the build process. If that's the case, it likely takes a long time between signing on the bottom line, and a car shows ready to pick it up.

What is the experience of current owners?
Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

You should call for current lead times. It probably varies by model and extras.

Shipping will be your nickel. Covered carries average about $1/mile. Rollers probably cost more since it falls into the "inoperable" definition, meaning it can't easily be shuffled from one van to another to optimize routes so would have to stay in one van the whole trip. Adds time and money.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

I got mine just over 2 yrs ago - ordered in April 2015. It was 12 months lead time then (427 s/c car) but David was super busy with the 50th anniversary Shelby cars then so it may be shorter now. Shipping was about $600 from Provo to Phx. (about 600 miles). Car was built complete but the truck driver did not start or drive it. Car stayed in same truck the whole way. David can steer you to the right guys for shipping.

You should call him and they will be able to give you current details on lead time and shipping cost.

Last edited by Phx Mike; 06-17-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Old 06-17-2018, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are you sure you want a new build? Like I said in the other place expect around a year from order to delivery. Then power train install (you probably want to do that locally). Then another period of time to "sort it out" - noone has ever reported driving a Cobra away and driving it like a Ford with no troubles. All of that is down time. Buy a finished sorted car and start driving and enjoying it the day you get it.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also, I don't believe Kirkham has any "inventory" so to speak. All of their cars are build to order. Sometimes someone might cancel an order that takes up some of the lead time, but there is no "showroom full of cars".
Old 06-17-2018, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Tony raises some good points. If you are dead set on a new car then by all means go for it. As you know there is certainly some sorting out on all these cars (not just Kirkhams) and getting one that is beyond that may be a good option. David and his team were extremely helpful in getting mine dialed in after I had driven it a bit. They also did a great job on the engine and transmission install (installed their custom engine mounts, aligned everything, installed their remote oil filter assembly, measured runout on bell housing and made the necessary adjustments, clutch fork setup, brakes and clutch bled, cooling system air removed, transmission install and break-in (the Tremec is not fun out of the box.....).
Old 06-17-2018, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No I am not sure that I want new. I will very much so watch the used market. I just kind of wanted a picture of the lead time. I have about 3 yrs before I will pull the trigger, but if the lead time is 2 yrs, then I only have a year to make up my mind. So that is why I am talking about it now.

Since I am not sure I will buy one at all, I didn't want to start pestering Dave with a bunch of questions. So I am pestering all of you (sorry about that). I just wanted to get ideas to mull around.

BTW - I couldn't find didly squat on these subjects using the search feature on the site. I did a google search and found a half dozen threads on this site. Maybe it is just me.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you can spare a couple of days the best thing to do is go to Provo and go see David and his shop. He and his team will answer all your questions and about 10 more you did not even think of. Be forewarned though, once you go in there and see all the cool stuff he is working on you are going to want one!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx Mike View Post
If you can spare a couple of days the best thing to do is go to Provo and go see David and his shop. He and his team will answer all your questions and about 10 more you did not even think of. Be forewarned though, once you go in there and see all the cool stuff he is working on you are going to want one!
X2 !! I talked to David a few years ago before I bought my car. If I were goin to an alum car back then I would def buy from him. He was great on the phone with info.
Nowadays there are other people that do aluminum bodys. Look up Cobrakwiki "build" on here.
Good luck with your search..

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 06-17-2018, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have to add - going into the Kirkham’s shop is a time machine. Unassuming place on the outside....you step inside and smell cutting oil and hear wrenches and laughter. Looking around you see some tube frames here, a small block FIA car over there and maybe a couple of Daytona’s going together in another corner. Young guys running the mills (okay they are CNC machines....) and bolting cars together. Maybe some 60’s music playing. It is 1965 and after you are there a while you don’t want to go back to 2018.

David and his guys are incredibly talented and helpful. You should go and see..
xb-60 likes this.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 393 427SC
Not Ranked     
Default Mli

In response to continued encouragement to " records show you have not posted" I am Jerry and have just purchased Kirkham Cobra 427SC # 393. Weather permitting I will pick it up in early Sept. & drive to Utah. Will see if I can get in and out of it with a Le Mans hardtop with my ancient body. Will then drive it home to the Eastern corner of Pennsylvanis. Jerry
Old 08-26-2018, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Old Dog:

You have a PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 393 427SC
Not Ranked     
Default Mli

Thanks, OLD DOG, not good at figuring out how to send, reply and use these forums. # 393 was put together by a doctor in Idaho and BRUSHED with stripes by him. BEAUTIFUL. I have only seen photos but was in a hurry because at my age, 80, and a disappointing failed purchase, with agreed price from owner for a Slabside at a dealership, he raised the price. Jerry
Old 08-26-2018, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

O.D. I sent 2 replies, but I don't think I did it correctly. Have you received any replies from me?
Old 08-26-2018, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got the replies. Sorry for the wait. I was searching for the thread. I haven't found that thread yet.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Hey Guys!

I have come up for air in the middle of our big move.

I'm happy to answer questions. In general, lead times are 4 months right now for a 427 car.

289 Cars are 6 months.

Coupes...long time. We are sold out for at least a year.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."