14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2006, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks...OCC...one and all...!

Whew...and I DO mean WHEW! I've been home since Monday night, and I'm just now getting caught up on my sleep. What a week....like Kumpy said..."It's hard work havin' this much fun!" Man...I gotta start getting more practice in before next year's events.

Jay Nordstrom and I were sitting under one of the trees on a parking lot island during the autocross...I turned to Jay and he was about to nod off to sleep....AND THIS WAS WITH ALL THE EXHAUST AND BURNOUT NOISES GOING ON! Man...we're talkin' worn-plumb-out. I said to Jay...."Y'know, with all the alcohol I drank this week...Mid-Ohio, and now here in Columbus in the parking lot...hell, it's 3:00 PM and I'm startring to get the shakes...I need a drink!"

Remember....do not try this at home...we were on a closed course, and of course, we're professionals....

Now....where's marg mygarita...?
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Default RECAP: Tuesday, 6/20/2006 - Mid-Ohio

0630 came early for most of us. Those of us from Memphis had been fairly sane the night before...had to...it rained cats-n-dogs just as we made it to the golf course clubhouse on the hill above the Comfort Inn. (By the way...save your money, it wasn't THAT good!) But, there we were...up early and on our way to Mid-Ohio. We parked the trailers and unloaded to have our cars teched. Went to the first session where they split us up into Advanced, Intermediate, and Novice drivers. Novices went off to the skid pad, Intermediates and Advanced drivefrs went off to the track for cornering drills. Very informative...safe, well designed to let you learn the line through a particular set of corners. These were instructor led lines of cars of about 8-10 vehicles...you followed the exact paths of the instructor cars, silver Honda S2000's. If you started to push the instructor, he forced you to slow down and learn the lines better....good choice, we needed it later. I'll let someone from the Novice group comment on their sessions Tuesday.

After lunch, some more cornering drills. Then, due to a previous commitment with Mid-Ohio, we had to stand down from 2:00-6:00 PM while some driver coaching sessions were going on. One of the race teams coming in for the Rolex Sports Car series that weekend had rented the track to help coach one of their drivers on passing and cornering techiques before the race. No problem, as this gave us time to put on our track tires.

At 6:00 PM, we were back on the track for some more high speed instructor led lapping. Each line followed their instructor around trying to stay exactly in the same tires lines as the instructors were laying down. I managed to get some great video from my in-car lipstick camera...sometimes reaching 120+ before I had to back off to avoid the guy in front of me. Suffice it to say, I managed to put about 140 miles on my SPF...ran it almost out of gas, and it was FULL when I unloaded that morning. I was worn out, but major happy...!

So...back to the hotel, and we went to KC Steakhouse for a well deserved steak and salad.

Okay...and maybe a few drinks...you know how we are...
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 06-28-2006 at 04:36 PM..
Old 06-28-2006, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default RECAP: Wednesday, 6/21/2006 - Mid-Ohio

The 0730 driver's meeting again came way too early for most of us. But, there we were ... ready, eager, and hungry for some speed runs. Again we split up, but since I had watched the Doppler radar in the hotel room, I wondered just how much driving we were going to get in...turns out I was more optimistic than was warranted.

We had just spilt out to our run groups, and were on our way back to the garage area when the first lightening bolts lit up the skies....KE-RACCCCK! Man, I thought, that was close. Closer than I realized, as it turned out. Within 20 minutes the skies had turned from grey ominous looking clouds to dark blue skies with bolts of lightening flashing all around us.

And then the rains came.

...and came.

...and came.

...and came.

At one time, the paddock area had at least 20-24 inches of water in it all trying to get down one of the storm sewers....it looked like a geyser...water shooting up from the sewer grate about 3-4 feet in the air. Water...lots of it...Oh, look...here comes some more!

Luckily, I was secure in garage #20, down near the exit from the hot pit area. I had already began to swap back to my street tires when the monsoon season began. One of the Rolex teams had already started to unload into the garage area when the dam burst. I waded out to talk to them...all I needed was about 30-40 minutes and I'd be out of their way. No problem, they replied, take your time, we're not in the garage area officially until 1200 noon. Nice buncha guys... Besides...it was raining cats-n-dogs and coming down so fast they didn't want to be out in it either. So, I was able to change my tires, put my street tires back on, and make sure I was ready for the LCS.

It finally slowed down a bit, so I got my trailer and backed it up to the door of the garage. I was able to load up without taking my SPF out in the rain. Lucky...I know it. Back to the hotel we headed to watch some in-car video I had taken from my lip-stick camera during Tuesday evening's track time sessions...

...maybe have a few drinks...you know how we are....

That evening, we headed off to a local bar-n-grill where we met up with Kumpy and more OCC folks for some bench racing and dinner.

Okay....and maybe have a few drinks....you know how we are....

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 06-28-2006 at 04:38 PM..
Old 06-28-2006, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default RECAP: Thursday, 6/22/2006 - LCS Begins...

We left Lexington, Ohio, for the 60 mile, or so, trip down to Columbus at about 0900 local. It was an easy drive, and we got to the Best Value before some of our rooms were ready. But, we got checked in early, and we thought about unloading our cars. But, it was still supposed to rain heavily in the area before the evening was upon us. So, we held an impromptu meeting in the parking lot and decided to take a more prudent course of action.

We unloaded the margarita machine.

Yeah...screw the cars...we can drink in the rooms and watch it rain if worse comes to worse.

It did. Rain...lots of it...came that night. I actually felt sorry for some of the poor schmucks with their cars out in the open without tops or tonneau covers. Well...okay...not THAT sorry. Maybe somewhere between the seventh and ninth margarita I felt sorry. Okay....maybe not for the car owners...for their cars. Wait...who am I kiddin'....? I felt sorry because the margarita machine ran out of mix and we had to stop it to add some more. Yeah...THAT'S what I felt sorry for....

Hey look...here comes Jay....Hey, let's go to Salvi's for dinner. Good idea. Tortellini Gratenelli...Caeser salad...More drinks... Good food, good times, good friends....can it get any better?

...oh, and maybe we had a few more cocktails...you know how we are....

More later..gotta go...it's Happy Hour here....

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 06-28-2006 at 04:51 PM..
Old 06-29-2006, 05:32 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Great recap Freddie! Can't wait to read the rest. I know what you are saying about a long week. It took me several days to catch up. Up every morning no later then 7, one morning before the first day at Mid-Ohio, up at 4:30. Down no earlier then 1am every night. To much fun being had at all the tailgating activities. It was hard to turn in every evening. My only wish is that I could go without sleep for a week so the fun would never end! Not as young as I once was!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 06-29-2006, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1981/ 418Stroker
Not Ranked     

Freddie
great storyline..Iwuz runnin on about 4 hours sleep each nite all week, am still trying to catch up, everytime I sit down I fall asleep, but what fun,,,,it's probably good we do this only once a year!...........Hmmmmn?

Click to Win a Cobra!!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default RECAP: Friday, 6/23/2006 - LCS First Day...

Sorry to take so long to get back to this thread, but I've been off on vacation and what with servicing my SPF after Mid-Ohio and LCS, together with working on transcribing the digital video I took during the events to the computer, I've been more'n a little busy. But....back to the recap...

Friday morning looked a little rough...I'll admit some of it was from the gallons of margaritas we consumed Thursday night, but some of the roughness was from the weather, too. It looked like it was going to rain any second, and although I was scheduled to lead a tour group to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, about 60 miles West of us, I decided to not pull my SPF from the trailer. Turns out this was a wise choice. The rains came while we were at the Museum, and I was grateful I made the decision I did.

We managed to get a pretty thorough tour of the Museum...now called The Museum of the United States Air Force, I believe. We didn't get a chance to see their annex, nor their newly completed missile gallery, but saw pretty much all three big buildings. All in all, a very good time. I even managed to find a 105 on display that I may have loaded while I was in Thailand...! Talk about a weird feeling...!!! The history of the aircraft showed it was at Tahkli and Korat while I was stationed there with the 355th TFS. I can't be sure, but there was a distinct possibility that I hung ordnance on that very aircraft. It brought back a lot of memories for me...some I had purposely forgotten.

Following the drive back to Columbus, we again decided not to take the cars to the QS&L. Turns out THAT was a bad decision, as the weather really cooperated and it was beautiful that evening. Who knew? So, wings and cocktails with old friends were the order of the evening.

We left earlier than normal as we wanted to get back to the "Red Dot Inn" to unload our cars and clean off some of the Mid-Ohio brake dust, grime, and what not. The weather was perfect as I unloaded SPF #770 and prepared to clean it up a little. I noticed another attendee was about to use the hose at the hotel (Best Value) to wash his car. I walked over there and was about to ask him the particulars of using the hose...was this okay? did the manager approve of our using it? etc. That's when "Punjab"...either the hotel manager, or owner...told me using the hose was "Ten dollars for ten minutes..."

"What....?", I asked. "Ten dollars for ten minutes of using the hose!" answered Punjab. Needless to say, I was less than enthusiastic over Punjab's pricing schedule. So, I told him..."Tell ya what, Punjab, I'll beat you at your own game...and use YOUR towels in the process!" I still don't think he understood me. But, I'll bet he noticed the then black (formerly white) towel that was laying in his parking lot the next morning! Damn, I don't mind paying for something, but I hate to be blatantly taken advantage of...especially with a little "Mona Lisa" smile on his face! (If I had to make one criticism of the event, this would be it! I mean, hell, here we were filling up almost all his hotel rooms and bringing in MUCH more money that he would have normally made that weekend, and he had the nerve to try and stick it to us even more!!!)

Anyway, got my car cleaned up after a fashion, and spent some "quality" time at the Margarita machine. Once again...(sigh)

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 07-05-2006 at 03:35 PM..
Old 07-05-2006, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default RECAP: Saturday, 6/24/2006 - LSC Second Day...

Once again, Saturday morning looked rough for us. But, unlike Friday, when the weather looked so bad, Saturday morning's problem was all our fault... Well, ours and my ol' friend Pepe Lopez's ... Seems the margarita machine had no recollection of what time it was Friday night, and what time we had to be at the Speedway on Saturday morning...!

Dean Lampley's lovely wife was my passenger Saturday morning for our drive down to the speedway. We all thought we left in plenty of time to get there early enough to be in the first 25-30 Cobras in line....WRONG! We were almost "Tail End Charly"...we were way back around by the old truck scales when we finally got parked...over 3/4 of the way to the rear of the pack when we pulled out. I don't know the exact number of Cobras there, but there were more there than I think I've ever seen. It was truly a spectacle to behold! We pulled out of the Speedway precisely at 0900, when the State Police car led us out. Outstanding organization by the OCC boys...no doubt.

We pulled into London about 25 minutes later after the short drive into town. All along the route, people had come out of their houses and businesses and waved to the Cobra motorcade...we honked, threw them some pipes, and waved back. Smiles everywhere...nice folks...!

Parking along Main Street right in front of the Courthouse was easy...once again, excellent organizational effort by the OCC folks, the London Police Department, and all involved. Once parked, I had a chance to walk up and down the street to see some of the Cobras there...and there were some very nice cars on display. I'll tell ya...if you ever think you're interested in either buying a turnkey Cobra, or building a kit, there was one of pretty much every manufacturer represented there on Main Street. It was outstanding....

At lunchtime, we all took a break and watched the presentation of the Harley-Davidson Police motorcycle to the London Police Department. Their Chief of Police and the town's Safety Director (the Chief's boss) both addressed the assembled group and truly seemd grateful for the thoughtfullness of those involved in the purchase, repainting, and presentation of the bike. It was apparent that all involved with the City of London's administration wanted to maintain the ongoing relationship with the Cobra Club. The Chief spoke of the calibre and integrity of the Cobra-philes he had met just that morning, and had nothing but nice things to say about us all. It was very nice to hear his words and recognize he meant it from his heart, and these were not just some speechwriter's words...they came straight from his heart.

Following the presentation, it was time to get back to the burnouts! I didn't make a run this year, but from what I watched, there was no shortage of those who wanted to take folks for a ride down the main drag, burnin' rubber and raisin' hell the whole way. Craigy Aylsworth took it all with a 107, as best I can recollect, with Keith Craft taking second with a 106. There were several others who ran in excess of 100 mph this year! Once again, very well organized, and expertly administered by OCC and London Police representatives. We departed about 3:30 for the ride back to the hotel. And, true to form, the Margarita machine was soon humming right along...dispensing cup after cup of "...that frozen concoction that helps me hang on!" as Jimmy Buffet called it.

We continued to "hang on" until time for Saturday's dinner at the "Big Top", which featured fish-n-chips or barbeque pork by "Old Bag o' Nails" catering. Good food, but damn....they need more'n one check out person! (You listenin' Rick...?) After dinner was the auction and drawing for the Cobra. Other threads have documented all this, so I won't recap this piece of the event. I hate I got outbid for that 50 year old bottle of Scotch. It was bottled in 1968, and it was 12 year old Scotch when it was bottled...you do the math! Donated by Jay Nordstrom, it brought about $400 for Cystic Fibrosis. I can't remember who bought it, but my advice to the guy is that you'd be a fool to open it...save it! In 10 years it'll be worth 10 times what you paid for it!

Later on, back at "Margarita Central", we got a chance to meet the lucky guy who won the raffle Cobra. Again, others have documented who won the car...but Pepe helped me to forget his name. He drank a couple of margaritas with us as we welcomed him into the fraternity. Needless to say, he was more'n a little stoked! Good for him!

Turned in late again...or was it early...? Hell, guess it depends on which side of midnight you're on, huh?

Oh...and I forgot about the tequilla run we had to make Friday afternoon. HA! Imagine that....

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 07-05-2006 at 02:47 PM..
Old 07-05-2006, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default RECAP: Sunday, 6/25/2006 - LCS Final Day

Once again, Sunday looked rough...well, you know the rest by now. Breakfast at the Cracker Barrel across the parking lot. Good food. We rolled out about 0800 for the drive to the Ohio Historical Society for the scheduled autocross. It was easy to get there...good directions in our packets. Again...good oganization on the part of our OCC hosts.

The course was an interesting one...with two left hand loops in an almost figure 8 configuration. Rob Frink walked us through the course while it was being blown off by others. I had put my street tires back on at Mid-Ohio and elected to run the autocross on street tires as opposed to my Hoosiers. But I offered to help during the morning session...to allow other participants time to blow off the course, removing loose asphalt, gravel and sand before I took my chances. Turns out, with my street tires - Goodyear GT II's - it didn't make much difference. I had aired up my street tires for the Mid-Ohio event, thinking I'd run in the morning at Mid-Ohio on street tires, then change over to my Hoosiers R303S tires for the afternoon/evening run sessions. Problem was that I left these street tires at the same pressure for the autocross, and this proved to NOT be such a good idea. Talk about understeer....I was turning the wheel as fast as I could to the right, while the car continued to plow straight ahead into 2-3 cones at a time. I may have reinvented the name "Cone Killer"...I managed to collect the same 3 cones each run I made. It was pitiful.

So...I decided to sit this one out and plunked my fanny down in a folding lawnchair under a shadetree on one of the parking lot islands near the entrance of the course. This proved to be a good vantage point, and I got to see the good, the bad, and even the Ugly from my chair.

Funny...about 2:30, I glanced over at Jay Nordstrom who was sitting about 4 feet from me. Even though there was lots of tire screeching, revving engines, and loud exhausts all in front of us, both of us were nodding off! I laughed and punched Jay in the left arm..."Jay", I said,"I've drank so much alcohol this week that's it only 2:30 in the afternoon and I'm starting to get the shakes...man, I need a drink!" Jay and I just roared...! We both decided we were gettin' way to old to keep this pace up for very long!

But...we also both decided that we'd be back next year, too!!!

Following the end of the autocross, I helped Ron Frohs change back to his street tires, and we returned to a now almost-empty "Red Dot Inn". It was kind of sad to see the now empty parking lot where only a few hours before gleaming Cobra replicas parked and good friends enjoyed good times with other good friends. Jay, Ron, Brian, and I got cleaned up and went to dinner at Outback just down the road. Once again...good food, good times, and good friends....

Hell...it just doesn't get any better'n that...!

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 07-05-2006 at 03:10 PM..
Old 07-05-2006, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Mid-Ohio...LCS....Final Thank You...!

Ohio Cobra Club...OUT-effin'-STANDIN'....! We had a blast...a wonderful time. Your oganizational efforts were apparent. From what we could see as attendees, everything went off as planned, right on...or almost on schedule. Your efforts were not unrecognized...it was apparent you put a lot of time into planning and execution. EXCELLENT...!

What went right...where do I begin? Mid-Ohio...excellent venue. Very well thought out...excellent instructors. Even though they didn't know us and maybe had some trepidations about a bunch of type-A personalities coming in with a lot of high horsepower short wheel-based cars, personally, I thought they did an excellent job of showing us the course, explaining what we were about to learn at each session, and so on. Very well organized. I'm glad I was a part of the initial group to attend this part of LCS. I know we'll all benefit from what we - and they, the instructors - learned from this event. I'm sorry it rained - er, poured - Wednesday, but there was certainly nothing anyone could have done about that. All in all, a most excellent time was had by this ol' boy...!

LCS in London....again, excellent. Hats off to all the city administrators you folks worked with to get this organized again this year. The Police Chief said he wants us back...we all want to go back....where's the rub? Let's do it...!

Hotels...while I like the venue of the "Best Value", basically Punjab sucked bad air. They still don't seem to realize how much money this event brings in to what would be their otherwise mostly vacant hotel each night. If they do realize it, they certainly have a poor way of showing it. Trying to charge us $10 for 10 minutes of using their hose to wash our cars was outrageous! That's one Hose-Job I don't need. I think maybe next year I won't be stayin' with Punjab and his Merry Band of Hosers. I'm kinda thinkin' the Super 8 next door may get some more business... The Hampton's the best hotel - by far - but their layout doesn't lend itself for parkling lot parties too well...at least not for the Margarita machine! I think we can make a ground floor room at the Super 8 work quite nicely, thank you. One from which we can see Punjab's empty hotel from next year.

Organization of the Event(s)...don't change a thing! You've gotten it down to a science. I know it's a lot of work, but it's apparent you got it down to a science! Excellent...!

Finally....

THANK YOU, OCC GUYS-N-GIRLS!

I'll be back next year...and for years to come... That is, providing Pepe doesn't go out of business...and I'm doin' my best to prevent that...

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 07-18-2006 at 01:06 PM..
Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Freddie thanks for your support and kind comments.......of course since we had to bail you out from behind bars, you had to say something nice

Click to Win a Cobra!!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And after we got Freddie out he couldn't remeber where he had parked his car...............but he really wanted to Auto cross!

Click to Win a Cobra!!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Awww...Jeeeese.....how I hate cameras....! Rattle a few bars...get locked up for a while...and see what happens? Some jerk takes a picture and posts it online...!

Columbus and London - and now Lexington - should be like Vegas...."What happens at LCS stays at LCS!"

..and don't even think about that damned scooter thing of Ron's...that freekin' thing is a handfull to ride. The brakes are all on the front wheel...squeeze 'em too hard and you'll bite the asphalt, but only after a less-than-gracefull flip over the bars... Next year, YOU ride it...!

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 07-18-2006 at 01:07 PM..
Old 07-06-2006, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Next year, YOU ride it...!
Cripes Freddie, I wuz so hung over I couldn't even drive my car let alone that thing

Click to Win a Cobra!!