Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Lone Star Classics---Speak with Dennis & Steve

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LSC427/Engine Factory 427 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Soon to be Lonestar owner

For all the LSC owners out there, I am going to be buying my Lonestar very soon but have a few questions. Most of the posts in this forum are a little dated so I just want to see if anything has changed.

1. I am not interested in buying a built Cobra. I want to build my own.
2. In looking at build sites from some owners, I noticed quite a lot of "modifications". Were these mostly due to owner preference or are they required to actually build the car as it comes from Lonestar. I have experience in working on and rebuilding cars for over 20 years but have never done this complete of a build.
3. I am not a "body man" by any means. I am scared to death of having to cut on the body so do I need to expect to have this project sent out to body shops for any body modifications or are the cut-outs required (lights, bars, etc) marked somehow.
4. Can anyone provides some feedback on Engine Factory motors versus Keith Craft? I want to put a 427w in it but am worried about clearance (as well as quality of motor itself).
5. As a weekend car project guy, can I expect to be able to build this car myself (obviously with the support of the knowledge of this forum to assist)?

Thanks for the time.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

Hey Jarhead,
The Lone Star Club Cobra site has not been very active in many years. I would recommend you use the Lone Star website for questions and comments.

Lone Star Classics - Kit Car Replicas.

BTW, several Lone Star owners participate in the Big Bend Open Road Race in April. If you are still in the Alpine area, let us know and we can visit when we make the trip.

Feel free to call or email me.

Jody Orsag aka Roush # 1

jorsag@aol.com
254/666-0020 home
254/640-0416 cell
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
The Lone Star site will be a lot of help but as to the modifications, once you buy the kit you can modify it any way you want so long as it is legal in your state. Many of the modifications come from people who are going to race theirs pretty hard and prefer different things than is included in the kit. Many people just like a personal touch to their cars and modify some things. The guys on the Lone Star site should be able to tell you about anything you may want to know.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-30-2013, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I think Brian has an option where he can cut out all the critical holes for you (roll bars, side pipes, headlights, etc.). It may be cheaper to have him do that since he does it everyday.

By the way congrats on your selection.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 12-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have one of the early Lone Star Cobras. I finished it in 2002 and have over 40,000 miles on it.

What "modifications" are you talking about?

I would suggest a Keith Craft 408. Same hp but a better motor, just can't say "Yes it's a 427" when they ask.

We have five on his motors in our group and I have a pair of his Brodix heads and custom cam in my Lone Star.

Dwight
Old 12-31-2013, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...or, you can go with one of Keith's Pond all aluminum 427 side-oilers (482") in your Lonestar like I did.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input. Roush#1, I will still be in Alpine and will be very available since I am retiring March 31st. I would love to meet up with you guys so give me a shout when you are in town (432-294-2089).

Dwight and Undy, I was leaning very highly toward the KC 427w. Just not sure about the all-aluminum. I have used aluminum heads in the past on motors, but not the block as well. Any input on that? Any issues pop into your head?

Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

If you want to see a bunch of Lonestars, come to the Texas Cobra Club Spring Meet in San Marcos. There will be quite a few there, as well as, Brian brings his car down and you can quiz him in person.
Don't worry about not having a car. There are lots of empty seats for ride along to the events.
Texas Cobra Meet
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I plan on being there for the Meet. I also have my tour scheduled with Brian next Friday to finalize all the details and options of my kit order.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Have you hooked up with the other guys in Alpine? They have driven down to the meet a couple of times.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 12-31-2013, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One yes but not the other yet. We plan on getting together soon and I know I will be picking their brains once I start my build.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

One of the Cobra guys from Alpine is Steve Belardo. He is a home builder in Alpine who has a nice red Factory 5. Steve and Kenda have raced at BBORR the last 4 or 5 years with Steve driving and Kenda navigating. Kenda Furman - Belardo is one one of the race coordinators of the BBORR.
They are a neat couple.
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 12-31-2013, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #010 SC motorcars 428PI TKO600
Not Ranked     
Default Alpine Cobra Club

Hello Bob,
Congrats on getting the Lonestar, one of our members had one for awhile till his wife made him sell it, good frame and body, plus more leg and body room.
We have 2 factory fives one backdraft and a smc motorcars, which is an early LA exotic.
We would love to talk to you, Steve is a good friend and we drive every chance we get, Kenda is a real car gal, she has brave some of the hottest and coldest weather to ride with us, Jim Wilson is cool and easy going and so is Steve Beckett. My name is David and we would love to have you cruise with us . Call us sometime
432 386 6777 cell
Old 12-31-2013, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

Engine Factory -one data point - no way!!!

chr
Old 01-01-2014, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LS427
Not Ranked     

jarhead,
Congratulations on your new project! I will be very interested in your final bill of materials. I too will be a LSC customer soon (once my shop area is cleaned out). I visited with Brian at the FTW facility last week on Monday. Like yourself, I will be needing as much input and support as I can get as this project moves into high gear!
jh
Old 02-05-2014, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

The kit as Lone Star supplies it is complete and you can make a nice Cobra from it. It's definitely not one of the more "replica of the original" types. I like to say it's what Carol would have made if he did it in 2010.

IRS was a requirement of mine. It wasn't offered so I read up and designed my own. After all the fun I had doing that, I took less of what was offered and made it more my own.

If you can make it out to San Marcos on a tailgate day you can see what many of us have done.