Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Lone Star Classics---Speak with Dennis & Steve

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NorcalLmo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2016, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra n Vettes, 1966 Cobray C-3 running gear, 355 SBC TH-400
Not Ranked     
Default Rear end recommendation for older LS 427

Hey gang looking for recommendations for the rear end assembly for a pre-2006 LS-427 I've been told to look for a Ford 9" What year (s) measurements from flange to flange? Thx!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I used a '89 Mustang 8.8
Old 11-26-2016, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra n Vettes, 1966 Cobray C-3 running gear, 355 SBC TH-400
Not Ranked     
Default 8.8

Thx for the update Dwight! So the assembly manual is VERY vague and illustrated using their pre-packaged rear assembly-What fabrications did you do to the 8.8 rear end and we're those parts custom or bought from LS? Any pics of this stage of construction?
Old 11-26-2016, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You might be able to buy this fellows old rear axle and hardware. (converted to IRS last year)

First Ever Lone Star IRS Retrofit | UCC Cobra Kit Car Forums
Old 11-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

my frame was set up for a four link system. So the Mustang (89-92) rear control arms would work. The monkey that I bought the body and frame from had drilled the holes out to large and had the wrong home made upper and lowers that would not work. But that was not Lone Star fault.

email me algunruner@aol.com for pictures if you need them.

Dwight
Old 11-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

I was looking at some of the 1400 pictures I have and they reminded me that I cut off the Lone Star Mustang style rear spring mounts. I welded in mounts for OA1 double adjustable coil overs.

I had one of the early Lone Star Cobra kit, maybe the first two years of production.

I changed a lot of things on my car.

Dwight
Old 11-28-2016, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Gang,
Thanks for the feedback - still trying to research my options - The guy I bought the frame from actually has a 9" Currie custom rear end, 3.73 gears with Detroit locker Posi all brand new and powdercoated. It has the welded tabs and mounting hardware wit Baer disc brakes to match the front - unfortunately he's planning on cutting off all the tabs and hardware because he's going to install it on another car. Perfect right!!!? Not sure of my options and costs. Really trying to keep my costs down - this will be a weekend cruiser - not a high-end build Any other thoughts/recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 11-29-2016, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalLmo View Post
Hey Gang,
Thanks for the feedback - still trying to research my options - The guy I bought the frame from actually has a 9" Currie custom rear end, 3.73 gears with Detroit locker Posi all brand new and powdercoated. It has the welded tabs and mounting hardware wit Baer disc brakes to match the front - unfortunately he's planning on cutting off all the tabs and hardware because he's going to install it on another car. Perfect right!!!? Not sure of my options and costs. Really trying to keep my costs down - this will be a weekend cruiser - not a high-end build Any other thoughts/recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated!
I would avoid a locker (of any type) unless you're using it strictly for drag racing. I went with a Torsen-type unit (POWERTRAX® Grip Pro) in my 9" axle and am very happy with it.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would avoid a locker also, but any LSD will work. The best option is probably a 8.8 Ford if you can get it to fit. They are very strong, easy to find, and come in a few different lengths and configurations.

My second choice would probably be a 9" only because there are 100 differnt versions and some are crap while others are strong.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Nix the locker

Copy on locker idea - how hard is the 8.8 to get aligned vs a 9"? I have ordered the weld tabs from UCC today and need to figure out if I should go 8.8 or 9" what key years (if any) what width should I be on the hunt for?
Thanks
Old 11-30-2016, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A lot depends on the rim width and offset you plan on using. The Fox <93 based 8.8" rears are really popular if you convert them to disk brakes and change the axles to 5 lug. You can use a 94 and later, but they have the anti-lock rings on the axles and add another 3" on the overall width if I recall. I had a pre-94 version shortened and new axles for like $300 if I recall, then put the 94+ 11.65" disk brakes on it. Worked well.

As for mounting, the only issue might be where the upper control arms mount if you are going that path. Most 9" have a steel housing so you can weld on it easily whereas the 8.8" has a cast housing and steel axle tubes, so you might have an issue if you have to do something like that.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thx

Copy that and GREAT info - just picked up 9" rear end from a 67' mustang project - waiting for the weld tabs to be delivered from UCC - I'll 'mock-fit' it and just see where I'm at - Thanks again for the support - I'll keep posting as things progress - Still looking for a body (*to save paying the $6,800 + shipping = OUCH! SOOOOOOOO if anyone knows of an LS or UCC that's been in an accident please let me know - I'm not afraid of fiberglass LOL!!!!
Ldmoore@comcast.net
Old 11-30-2016, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Make sure it is a 9" and not an 8". Most 67 Mustangs without a killer engine had 8".
Old 12-01-2016, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup - checked the tag on the diff - it's a 9" 3.50 gears, drum brakes!!
joyridin' likes this.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalLmo View Post
Yup - checked the tag on the diff - it's a 9" 3.50 gears, drum brakes!!
As you probably already know, there are tons of good disc brake conversions to get rid of those drum brakes.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Examples

Hey Gang, Just got my mounting hardware from UCC - (GREAT response from UCC by the way - thx Ashley)
So while I'm not the 'sharpest tool in the shed' - I'd like to get EXAMPLES of what rear wheel offset's ya'll are running with the measurement of the 9" rear from 'flange to flange'
Thanks!!