17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-05-2006, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     
Default Events, Runs, Gatherings

Tony, how about getting this thread going with what's happening this weekend? Usual Saturday morning gtg at Nicks? If it's nice, I'm driving to Southampton to turn the sprinklers on.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 04-05-2006, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1358 Silver/Black stripes 466 2X4
Not Ranked     

That's great the we have our own message board.

The weather looks shakey for saturday at Nicks, besides once again the 460 has intake manifold gasket problems (water leak) which I'll be changing this weekend, hopefully Sunday at Captree will be OK.

Tony
Old 04-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoop
Tony, how about getting this thread going with what's happening this weekend?
Well that pins it right down for those that don't know Nick...and don't know what/where a "Captree" is.

If you want to recruit some newbs... Post some facts and details...with times and addresses/directions.

...just being constructive.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Good point!

OK, quite a few guys meet up and hang out at Classic Concepts on Saturday mornings, Nick is the owner/wrench of this shop that specializes in American Muscle, particularly Cobras, Mustangs, and the occasional but rare Vette. I don't have an address but I'll find that and post it. A nice group of guys with coffee and bagels too!

The Captree boat basin has become a regular "show up 'n hang out" thing every Sunday morning during the season, or whenever the temps hit 60 and above. There could be up to a hundred cars that show up, from circa 30's classics to a '05 Ford GT, as well as some neat bikes. The boat basin is where the fishinc charter boats are, at the easternmost end of Ocean Pkwy. Head south on Wantagh or Meadowbrook Pkwy towards Jones Beach, turn left at the Jones tower traffic circle (roundabout, rotunda) going east towards Tobay, I'd say 5 miles to the end (maybe more) and to the left, you can't miss it. Cars start jockeying for parking around 8:30, and thin out around 10:30 - 11:00. There's a small sandwich/snack shop, and be careful, the state troopers like to hang out and look for expired inspection stickers . Last Sunday, I saw a couple of smokies hiding in the bush with the radar gun. I suggest hooking up at the eastern end of the parking lot, where there tends to be more room so we can all be a bunch. Forecast is ahigh of 49 for Sunday. could be too nippy.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg

Last edited by JCoop; 04-05-2006 at 06:04 PM..
Old 04-05-2006, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421
Not Ranked     

Any chance of rain on Sunday and is the Captree thing organized to the point that there are any fees or anything?

While I'm at it, I spoke to Nick today about some tweeks to my car and he said he is busy for the week putting some supercharges in for a couple of Cobra's. Would that be anyone here?

Thanks
Joe S. Lake Grove, NY
Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default No Fees!

Hey Joe, verrry informal affair at Captree. I think on and after Memorial Day, there may be an entrance or parking fee at Captree (not sure) but that goes to the Town of Oyster Bay.

My handy dashboard on this Mac (with 5-day weather forecast) says sunny and high of 49, low of 32. Brrrr!

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 04-06-2006, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC #621 silver/black stripes /427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoop
Hey Joe, verrry informal affair at Captree. I think on and after Memorial Day, there may be an entrance or parking fee at Captree (not sure) but that goes to the Town of Oyster Bay.

My handy dashboard on this Mac (with 5-day weather forecast) says sunny and high of 49, low of 32. Brrrr!

Captree's fee goes to the state. If we can't get back in the OBI's parking lot( we gather there after the season starts because of Captree's parking fee)
we can purchase a season pass for Captree for $59.00.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,
Get a fresh can of "The Right Stuff" by Loctite and your manifold will not leak again.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

Tony,

I once had a Weaind Stealth intake, short of milling , I could not determine why it would start leaking only weeks/months after each re-install. I bought 2 sets of intake gaskets and made thicker double gaskets left over night to set with Permatex spray adhesive before install the next day. The new double gasket actually had the blue ring seal on both the intake and heads sides and held very well .
Old 04-09-2006, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SAAC 31 in June/July

Just to get back on track...(no pun), are any LI Cobras thinking of going to the SAAC convention at VIR? Is this something where we can at least organize a caravan or group attendance? Ideally, we can either rent or contract for a multi-car trailer/transporter to bring the cars down there and back? I'm planning on going Friday to Sunday. I spoke briefly to a GT40 driver at Captree last week and he mentioned a group of guys (HRE) are doing it. I'll pursue it if there's enough interest...

http://www.saac.com/eventsAndConventions/saac31.html

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 04-09-2006, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok to get back off track again, Charlie I used the right stuff, wrong stuff and probably some crappy stuff on the 460, this thing and gasket failure is Pi$$ing me off. I know the Felpro's are crap and distort from the coolent, the Ultra Seals seemed to be better but have still failed around the coolent port and the funny thing is it's the driver rear and passenger front so both leaks have occured at the same spot on both heads.

Jim...The new ultra seals have a raised seal on both sides of the gasket now but it still leaked.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Aprile; 04-09-2006 at 05:00 PM..
Old 04-10-2006, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,
The main benefit to double gaskets is not the dual sided blue seal but the added thickness which may "smoothen out or neutralize " whatever imperfection in flatness may be the cause. The key is to properly glue the two together to ensure a good seal...using the Permatex spray.

Have you ruled out a hairline crack in the intake either in the main base, (near a corner) in a runner or the at the runner base ?? The V-jr has all four outside corners equally weighted same as the main intake supports. I recall you have a dual plane which may have extended corners. Are the outside 4 corners extended like rabbit ears requiring lesser torque than the 8 centers ? My dual plane was like that and ONE of those corners stressed thru heat cycles and held onto a hairline crack for a very long time ......not allowing a solid seal as it heated and cooled so did the corner but at a different rate than the rest of the intake. Sandy welded it for me but that only lasted one season and the hairline crack reappeared extended below the weld. In the beginning you'd have to have the intake very clean to even see the hairline crack....but trust me it threw the seal off. Could you try visually scanning it inside/out with a 3" maginfying glass ? Driver rear/passenger front......that has to be siginificant ! Are you available during this week ? Gotta put this thing to rest.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Tony,

See if Victor Rienz makes a gasket for your 460. (Try NAPA)
They look like gray graphite but work great.
They're the solution for FE's, worked great on mine.
Then, Right Stuff.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony...listen to Chas.
I called Ford Racing Tech Line and related your problem. The response was immediate advice to install the Victor Rienz graphite gasket. They assured this will solve your problem. Supplied part # 95074-SG
Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

jam and chas...thanks for the info. I received the gaskets through NAPA today and hopefully by the weekend it will back together.

Tony
Old 05-19-2006, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Memorial Weekend...?

Anything happening drive-wise? How about a bagel run early Saturday?

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 05-19-2006, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray

If there are enough guy's at Nicks on saturdays there is usually an early imprompt-to run to HRE (use to go to Snakepit). Thus far this year the saturday turnout has been sparse mostly due to the weather.

Since I work on weekends and im not out and about till 11am, I miss the sunday mornings down by the beach and the same on saturdays.

Last year on Sunday mornings every so often about 11:30 we did a local diner run with the cobras, im hopeing we can expand on that this year. As far as Memorial Dat weekend I haven't heard anything

Tony

Last edited by Tony Aprile; 05-19-2006 at 04:17 PM..
Old 05-19-2006, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll be around Memorial Day ! I may even get my lazy ass out of bed early enough to head down to Captree ! Unless there's a schedule show somewhere there's always a Port Jeff run possibiltiy for a cup of coffe and a bit of shown tell !
Old 05-20-2006, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, I guess I'll show up Sat. and see what's up. A run to HRE would be nice as I have to return a pair of amber front directionals that Billy lent me for "inspection". BTW, when I got the car weighed, 2680 lbs with 1/2 tank; the SB weighed 2600. Which kinda explains why, with 450 lb. springs and 17" wheels, the car rides kinda harsh. The SB had 375 lb. springs. I may put a set of those on.

Jim, Port Jeff sounds like a plan. Haven't been there in a while and the last time was by sea. I usually don't see any shows scheduled that weekend probably because people expect to be away. I haven't seen the honeydo list for that weekend, though.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 05-21-2006, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray..is that a bib block at 2680# ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread