Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Lounge (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   TV on your laptop (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/lounge/95937-tv-your-laptop.html)

sllib 04-01-2009 05:29 AM

TV on your laptop

Does anyone have any experience with a product called DTV4PC? They advertise (for the one-time fee of $29.95) the ability to give you a wide range of TV channels with just a broadband connection, at no charge. I travel a lot, mostly internationally, and would love to have something better than BBC to watch after work. Since the ad came in an email I'm hesitant to try it because of the invasion factor from unknown software.
While on that subject, who makes a good security suite (not Norton) to keep the bandits at bay. I've tried the freeware and some of the low price stuff, and my laptop now runs slow as molasses. I don't mind paying but I want more than a list of "possibles" I don't understand after a scan. The local computer stores all have their favorites but I know they need to push what they sell, not what I need. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Bill Stradtner

Jay Little 04-01-2009 06:27 AM

Save your money. Everything it offers you can already find your self with a little bit of searching.

Here is one web site review on it. http://www.rgbscan.com/2007/08/02/dtv4pc-review/

By the way, the site loads slowly.

427 S/O 04-01-2009 07:04 AM

Here's one for sitcoms..........

http://www.watchtvsitcoms.com/house.php

You can also run it to your TV if it has connections.

sllib 04-01-2009 07:51 AM

Jay;
Thanks. That review saved me a few bucks.
Perry;
I don't know what that site was all about, but every time I tried to navigate anywhere off the main page my scamware program not only kicked me off the site but off of IE! I think I'll pass on that one.

427 S/O 04-01-2009 08:02 AM

Your right, it takes a little maneuvering to get in.

sllib 04-01-2009 01:51 PM

I'm still interested in a good security suite. Norton has abused me too often and won't get any more of my money. I've heard Kaspursky (?) is good but haven't tried it. My laptop is so slow now I don't even bother with videos; it takes too long to load them. I know it's stuffed up but don't know how to unstuff it.
Bill Stradtner

gt500bill 04-01-2009 06:11 PM

Also Www.hulu.com has a lot of tv stuff on it.

Bill

Jay Little 04-02-2009 06:47 AM

Kaspersky is good, and so is CA eTrust. I use AVG Ant-virus. Other programs I use include Spy Bot, Ad Aware,and Malwarebytes for spy and malware. I use CCleaner to clean off unneeded files and to fix some registry issues.

Over 90% of the machines I have to deal with have some kind of issue with spy and malware.

Every thing I use can be found at www.filehippo.com.

Good luck.

cobra de capell 04-02-2009 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sllib (Post 936037)
I'm still interested in a good security suite. Norton has abused me too often and won't get any more of my money. I've heard Kaspursky (?) is good but haven't tried it. My laptop is so slow now I don't even bother with videos; it takes too long to load them. I know it's stuffed up but don't know how to unstuff it.
Bill Stradtner

I also switched to AVG - free, free is good. The first time I ran it - 50 warnings covering tracking for ads.

Joe Wicked 04-02-2009 10:20 AM

AVG here as well. had issues running McAfee, Norton, and one other that I can't think of right now. Been running AVG for over a year now and no issues. They do have a pay suite that has even more than the free virus, but running windows firewall and AVG free have been really good. Plus as said, free is good. Free is way better than anything else I have ever tried.

427 S/O 04-02-2009 10:25 AM

I tried AVG but man!, it pulled the reins on my puter. Went with 'Advanced Systems Care', guess it doesn't work with vista.

Joe Wicked 04-02-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 427 S/O (Post 936357)
I tried AVG but man!, it pulled the reins on my puter. Went with 'Advanced Systems Care', guess it doesn't work with vista.

Odd, I have it on my XP and on my Vista 64 bit machines. No issues. I am just using the free virus protection only, so i don't know about the other stuff. I use the Windows Firewalls, plus my router has a firewall.

427 S/O 04-02-2009 10:34 AM

I ran across a few others who had the same (slow) problem, and none had a solution except to remove?. I'm still experiencing a problem with windows mail, it won't allow attachments to open?. Guess I'll look around for another email program.....

cobra de capell 04-02-2009 11:57 AM

I'm surprised that AVG is free - it just scanned my PC (daily) and nothing was found - it also marks URL's as safe when I google stuff. Seems like a no hassle program so far.

mariamarson20 05-09-2022 01:27 AM

There are two ways to do it: via an app or your web browser, or by attaching a USB TV tuner if you don't have an internet connection. The first way is free, but you'll have to spend some cash to buy a TV tuner. Fortunately, they can be picked up from Amazon for as little as a tenner. But I am using ultrawide monitor it can show amazing image quality.

twobjshelbys 05-09-2022 08:51 AM

There's nothing like a first post to a 12 year old topic that is in fact, off topic. Your USB dongle also has to be connected to an antenna.

Some satellite and cable providers have an app that allows you to view programming, live and recorded. Dish does. We use it all the time. Dish can even access recordings and programmings remotely (ie, client on a different network).