17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     
Unhappy TV on your laptop

Does anyone have any experience with a product called DTV4PC? They advertise (for the one-time fee of $29.95) the ability to give you a wide range of TV channels with just a broadband connection, at no charge. I travel a lot, mostly internationally, and would love to have something better than BBC to watch after work. Since the ad came in an email I'm hesitant to try it because of the invasion factor from unknown software.
While on that subject, who makes a good security suite (not Norton) to keep the bandits at bay. I've tried the freeware and some of the low price stuff, and my laptop now runs slow as molasses. I don't mind paying but I want more than a list of "possibles" I don't understand after a scan. The local computer stores all have their favorites but I know they need to push what they sell, not what I need. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Bill Stradtner
Old 04-01-2009, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Undecided, 289
Not Ranked     

Save your money. Everything it offers you can already find your self with a little bit of searching.

Here is one web site review on it. http://www.rgbscan.com/2007/08/02/dtv4pc-review/

By the way, the site loads slowly.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Here's one for sitcoms..........

http://www.watchtvsitcoms.com/house.php

You can also run it to your TV if it has connections.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Jay;
Thanks. That review saved me a few bucks.
Perry;
I don't know what that site was all about, but every time I tried to navigate anywhere off the main page my scamware program not only kicked me off the site but off of IE! I think I'll pass on that one.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Your right, it takes a little maneuvering to get in.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm still interested in a good security suite. Norton has abused me too often and won't get any more of my money. I've heard Kaspursky (?) is good but haven't tried it. My laptop is so slow now I don't even bother with videos; it takes too long to load them. I know it's stuffed up but don't know how to unstuff it.
Bill Stradtner
Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR , 5.0 Kenne Belle SuperCharged
Not Ranked     

Also Www.hulu.com has a lot of tv stuff on it.

Bill
Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Undecided, 289
Not Ranked     

Kaspersky is good, and so is CA eTrust. I use AVG Ant-virus. Other programs I use include Spy Bot, Ad Aware,and Malwarebytes for spy and malware. I use CCleaner to clean off unneeded files and to fix some registry issues.

Over 90% of the machines I have to deal with have some kind of issue with spy and malware.

Every thing I use can be found at www.filehippo.com.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllib View Post
I'm still interested in a good security suite. Norton has abused me too often and won't get any more of my money. I've heard Kaspursky (?) is good but haven't tried it. My laptop is so slow now I don't even bother with videos; it takes too long to load them. I know it's stuffed up but don't know how to unstuff it.
Bill Stradtner
I also switched to AVG - free, free is good. The first time I ran it - 50 warnings covering tracking for ads.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

AVG here as well. had issues running McAfee, Norton, and one other that I can't think of right now. Been running AVG for over a year now and no issues. They do have a pay suite that has even more than the free virus, but running windows firewall and AVG free have been really good. Plus as said, free is good. Free is way better than anything else I have ever tried.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I tried AVG but man!, it pulled the reins on my puter. Went with 'Advanced Systems Care', guess it doesn't work with vista.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 S/O View Post
I tried AVG but man!, it pulled the reins on my puter. Went with 'Advanced Systems Care', guess it doesn't work with vista.
Odd, I have it on my XP and on my Vista 64 bit machines. No issues. I am just using the free virus protection only, so i don't know about the other stuff. I use the Windows Firewalls, plus my router has a firewall.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I ran across a few others who had the same (slow) problem, and none had a solution except to remove?. I'm still experiencing a problem with windows mail, it won't allow attachments to open?. Guess I'll look around for another email program.....

Old 04-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

I'm surprised that AVG is free - it just scanned my PC (daily) and nothing was found - it also marks URL's as safe when I google stuff. Seems like a no hassle program so far.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:27 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There are two ways to do it: via an app or your web browser, or by attaching a USB TV tuner if you don't have an internet connection. The first way is free, but you'll have to spend some cash to buy a TV tuner. Fortunately, they can be picked up from Amazon for as little as a tenner. But I am using ultrawide monitor it can show amazing image quality.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

There's nothing like a first post to a 12 year old topic that is in fact, off topic. Your USB dongle also has to be connected to an antenna.

Some satellite and cable providers have an app that allows you to view programming, live and recorded. Dish does. We use it all the time. Dish can even access recordings and programmings remotely (ie, client on a different network).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: