Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Midstates Cobra's---Speak with Bob Kallio

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-06-2002, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     
Default rear tire size?

Hey bob,

Figured I'd post this here so everyone will know....

With the 9in rear how wide can the tires be? You recommended 295 50 15 but more is better! How about 305?

Prashanth S.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     

Does anyone still make the 305's? Quite a few years ago, I was amazed by a set of Mickey Thompson "Sportsman" tires--apparetnly the widest street-legal tire being made. They were on a 5-window, so there was no wheel-well clearance problems. I think they had a HUGE--maybe 17-inch tread width. Going back to the 305's they seemed to be a perfect solution to some (not all) traction problems---but the local tire dealer (Cape Cod) says that neither Goodyear nor B F Goodrich does the 305s any more. Anyone know? Especially, does anyone know the widest DOT tire available?
Old 12-06-2002, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast 460, Performer Cam & Intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Carb
Not Ranked     

Freddie

Go to tirerack.com and do a search for your tire size and chose all brands. I have seen some 305's I had 295.50.15's on my West Coast but wanted a taller tire and keep the wide stance. I will be going to 285.60.16 shortly and this how I found what I wanted.
Good Luck - The Wiz
Old 12-06-2002, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     

nope not on tirerack...nuts!

305 50 15's that is...

GS
Old 12-06-2002, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey guys, i am running 305/50/15's on the rear of my snake. I got them from Tire Rack, they are BF Euro TA's. I had no problem fitting them under the Midstates cobra, I had called Bob at Midstates to let him know what size wheels and tires I would be using. They built the rear-end to match the wheels, tires, backspacing ect. so the tires fit very nicely under the fender wells, they look awsome! I would call the Tire Rack and ask about these tires if you want to run them. I'm also running 245/50/15's on the front. hope this helps,
Old 12-07-2002, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner of both Superformance #2666 Roush 427IR and Superformance #1601 Ford Crate 460CI - 486 HP 510 ft\lbs TQ
Not Ranked     
Default Nope.

I just got off the phone with tirerack. They have no more of the 305/50/15 left. The Euro TA was the only brand in that tire size.
Rats!

JB
Old 12-07-2002, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

flatliner,

I'm planning on putting a stroker in a midstates also. Where did you get your motor? Are you running a 9in rear? Is your rear gear 3.70? Sorry for all the questions...its just that your the first midstates owner with a stroker I have run into...

GS
Old 12-07-2002, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Snake, yes i'm running a 393cu.in stroked 351w. I race I.M.C.A. modifieds so the shop that builds the alcohol race engines for my race cars also built my Cobra engine. The builder is Bruce Yackey owner of Greely Automotive and Machine. The only stock piece on my motor is the block and it's been modified. I spent $12,000.00 on this engine, it has the very best of everything. I am running a Ford 9" rear with a locker, Richmond ring and pinion, custom Moser axles, with Ford SVO rear discs. I'm running a 3.89 rear gear ratio, but keep in mind when you want to chose a ratio take into acount how tall your rear tires are, tranny ratios, what you'll be using the car for ect. I am using a Tremec TKO. I also have a quiver of rear end pumpkins to choose from since I also run a Ford 9" in my modified. I must say the service at Midstates is simply superior. Bob and his group really care about you and your build. You made a wise choice in Midstates. hope this helps, Flatliner
Old 12-08-2002, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info...I was wondering about the ratios effect with tall tires. I'll be getting a 396 probably...maybe a 408. Bob is great to work with. His shop was the first manuf. I went to and I have not looked at any other since.

GS
Old 12-08-2002, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     
Default mickeythompsontires....got some good 'uns BUTT there remain questions

Found some real beaut's----Sportsman and Sportsman Pro tires which are built for 15" rims with up to 18" rim widths!?! That's a bit off the scale---BUTT if I were to put on some more suitable and sane ones---would they stand up to fast street use--even mild-speed track use? High G stress, I mean? I noticed that these tires are rated "D.O.T. approved" and that the "Pro" series is made from "drag slick compound"---which I assume is going to be soft enough to pick up pea-sized gravel and other stuff deleterious to a nice paint job (as warned about in another thread). I'd appreciate any commentary and insight.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I put 305, 15 inch, BFG, Euro T/As, on the back, about ' 99, at a Les Schwab store, in Albany, Oregon. My gripe is, that the are hard, to get to, hook up. I think the rubber is too hard or perhaps, I run too much pressure. I get wheel spin through the 1st two gears. If it is hot out and conditions right, the little bugger will hook and pick the front end off the ground. This is rare, most often, it is just spin city! I also notice, that it tends to slide into the corners and I need to grab the rpm a bit heavy, to straighten her out. I'm thinking, maybe a narrower and softer tire. I have an Auburn with a 4 link, 9". My engine weight is low, as it is a Windsor, with Cleveland heads. Maybe it is the suspension, but I think not. If anyone figures it out, let me know. I have about 10,500 on these tires and will look at a change in another 2 years or so. The other option I have considered, is to get with an outfit in the Portland area, that does an IRS setup. Maybe that is the ticket?????