Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     
Default Cruise Colorado 2010

Once a year, the club gets together for a week long trip around the area. This is the first year we've been able to go. And we had a great time.

This is the route map. 6 days, and about 1100 miles or so.

The first day was down to Taos. We hit some reall nasty weather around Rockwall. Some really heavy rain, lightening, and thunder. That was OK, but the hail was a problem. The road was completly white, like it had been snowing. We all got pretty wet. Some people with more race oriented tires had a real tough time. But excellent driving skills and car control got them through.

Over the pass into Raton got us in to some bad weather. Some people Toughed it out and drove through the storm. Discretion being the better part of valor, Michele and I waited under some cover in Raton for it to pass by.

When we got to the hotel in Taos, they were ready for us.

This is a very nice hotel, in the style of an old Hacienda. We'll stay there again. I highly recommend them.

They blocked off an area for us to park in, and even provided a hose, rags, and buckets for car washing.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We stayed in Taos for 2 days. But we took a little drive on the High Road to Sante Fe. Nice town with interesting history and plenty of good food. We only hit one construction zone, but it sure made his day.

We then packed up and headed west to Duranga via Chama and Navajo Dam. Beautifull ride past the Earth Ship homes and up over the mountains.

In Durango, the hotel was ready for us, with a blocked off parking lot next to the hotel. Parking in downtown is at a real premium, so we appreciated that. They also supplied us with a car wash area. Sweet.

Later that night, we were hanging out in the parking lot doing what car guys do.. A local business owner showed up with the stunning high powered Kirkham.

A club member lives in Durango, just off the Rockwood cut off. He has a beautifull log home with an excellent veiw of the narrow gauge railway as it passes by. They invited us over for a BBQ. What a great evening that was. A Big thanx to the Parkers.

Last edited by bobcowan; 07-04-2010 at 06:14 PM..
Old 07-04-2010, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A few of us went for a glider ride in Durango. I'v been in all kinds of aircraft over the years, but never a glider. A glider gains altitude by spinning like a corkscrew. I got air sick! Never had that happen before.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The next day we drove over Wolf Creek Pass, North through Creede and Lake City, and into Gunnison.

The drive up the pass was a lot of fun. An excellent 2 lane road with very little traffic. We crusied up at a steady and easy 70mph.

The drive up the river valley through Creede is some stunning scenery. Right in the middle was a real nice tunnel - now wouldn't you know. The sign said clearance to the 12 foot line......

And a snow shed

Once in Gunnison, it was tiome relaxe and enjoy the scenery, the company, and a cold one

Old 07-04-2010, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On the last day, we drove over the pass to Saugache (promounced Sowatch), and then north through Poncha Pass. This is what happens when somebody has a problem; everybody stops to help.

Unfortunatly, we fund some bad weather over Poncha Pass. The red is a reflection off the dash, not the actual sky

You can see all the pictures here: http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...02010/?start=0

Some of hung out and had lunch in Buena Vista, while we waited for a storm to pass. There's an excellent burger and ice cream stand that's been there for 52 years. Well worth the stop. After that, it was an easy cruise home in clear weather. Of course, it's all 2 lane highway. and there's always some knuckleheaded driver towing a trailer at 40-50mph and refuses to pull over. 40 miles of that will irritate you.

It was a great trip. Some bad weather but mostly good. Lots of great miles. Lots of old friends, and some new ones. I hope I get to do it again next year. Thanx to our fearless leader for setting this all up. Al, take a bow.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Tell me more about this "tour". Has next year's been scheduled yet? I'm in Lyons so most of the regular activities are really too far away but I would be interested in a drive next year.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cruise Colorado is every spring. No specific date, just sometime around June. The next one is not set up yet. Check the MHCC web site during the winter for more details.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

What a great trip! Very nice writeup Bob. Great shot of everyone gathered around my broken Cobra (wheel bearing). Thanks to the MHCC for letting Linda and I tag along for our 3rd year in a row. Absolutely the best way to see Colorado is through a Cobra windshield!
David
Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR III 302
Not Ranked     

How long did take to plan this wonderful trip? Any hints on what you would do different . CO is a awesome state. Any other problems with the cars, and any special tools that would be good to bring along . Also without saying great pics, been there many times and never get tired of CO.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great shots Bob.
There were 4 from Texas, 1 from Oregon 1 from California and the balance from Colorado. Emily and I had a blast pushing everyone along in the rented Flexobra.
You couldn't bring enough parts and tools to fix everything, but if you added up everthing in the cars you had a complete garage.
Great job to our TRAIL BOSSES.
Boyd
Old 07-06-2010, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Al Bockman
Not Ranked     

Glad you guys enjoyed the trip. I hate to admit it, but it's really not that difficult to put the trip together, especially after doing seven of them.

Deanna wanted me to post some of our pictures, too. We'll try to do that tonight.

Next Year's trip is thisclose to being finalized.

Al

Last edited by Al Bockman; 07-06-2010 at 06:09 PM..
Old 07-06-2010, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

We all had our moments. Turning around in the middle of nowhere can be such a *****....luckily along came a farmer with a chain

Thanks Al, its not just a trip, its an adventure...
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

Dave, you can thank me for my car breaking down. Otherwise you wouldn't have had a reason to turn around.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Dave you said you were turning around..... but fess up, you were smokin' it til it went sideways one too many times
Old 07-07-2010, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Its that grabby on/off clutch what done it. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it...