14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby big rig & trailer ?

I'm buying abFRANKLIN MINT 1/24 SCALE COBRA 427 S/C ALUMINUM cobra. I see on the Shelby site you can buy a 1:64 hauler. Is their a 1:24 size hauler ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 10-16-2011 at 07:13 AM..
Old 10-17-2011, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A so far...
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm... not that I have seen, but then again I never particularly searched one out. Most of the trailers I have seen are 1/64 scale as far as diecast goes, some are 1/32 if you look at NASCAR versions.

Perhaps you can search out a plastic model kit then make it into a Shebly version? But even for plastic model kits, the 1/24 scale ones are hard to find, most that I have seen are 1/32 scale. You might find one on Ebay or you might be able to find a trailer type toy at Toys R Us in that scale and make it "Shelbyized".
Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just for ideas, this guy made a 1/18 scale car trailer, did a nice job, IMO.

1:18 scale 24' Enclosed Car Hauler/Trailer - Diecast Forum
Old 10-17-2011, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Shelbyized". I like that !

It doesent look like their a sized trailer I need, so I'll make one. The problem is when,..... no time. I used to build RC 1/4 scale winged sprint cars, but again, no time anymore.

The 1:18 trailer is nice. If I could afford a larger scale aluminum cobra, I have 1/4 scale tool box's, jacks, stands,...ect for the sprints.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, having time is always an issue. If you have a set "plan of attack" it makes it easier and faster.

For example, when I do model cars, I separate all the parts into the colors I eed to paint them and put them into differetn trays depending on what colors need to be sprayed. IE all the flat blacks (Chassis/suspension), silver (exhaust, suspension), body color, etc.

Once that is done then a few minutes here and there like when I'm doing the laundry or something, eventually gets it done.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's one of those things,......I just have to set apart & get R done.

Here's the sprint I built for my best bud. We my end up selling it because he's never driven it, saying it's "too nice". NA !
I bought the frame from a racer that wrecked it, all in a box of parts.

I hate to sell it, but it sits in a closet in the basement so his kids can't get to it and just collecting dust. It's the latest one I built.

Chrome moly chassis, chromed wheels, bumpers & nerf bars, scale drive with helmet & suit, Hoosier tire stickers, same sponsors as our 360 sprint, block & slick tires. I made the adjustable alum. wings I have plastic for racing. I have the stock engine and in the car is a aluminum engine that's a stroker, alum, rod & piston and alcohol carb using methanol from our bug sprint. 6.1 HP. Sounds nasty.

Here's the video when I gave it to him. he says, no way,....that's so fricikn cool dude. He's in all black.

Built a 1/4 scale RC Sprint Car. SURPRISE BUD ! - YouTube

Last edited by FUNFER2; 10-17-2011 at 04:52 PM..
Old 10-17-2011, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Man, that 1/4 scale RC is sweeeet! You've got some crazy skills there!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These cars are a blast to build & race. If I had more 1/4 RC local interest, Chad lives on a acreage and will let me build a high bank dirt oval to race on. Most guys are racing the 1/5 scale, which we could add that class as well, but lack of time stops me. If things slow down, I may start a 1/4 scale business. I know a small company that the owner wants to sell out & retire. He has a new & more modern bodies in two different styles. We'll see ?

These are expensive to buy, but once you have the complete car & electronics, there not bad at all.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The bones of my competition wings.

Top-

Nose-

Top wing mounted & adjustable- (it's dirty from racing all season)

Old 10-18-2011, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Incredible! Looks like the insides of an airplane wing!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, an upside down airfoil. Wanna see something even cooler. Check out my quick change rear end, modeled after the plans from the big sprint. Winters gave me the full scale plans. I had a high school friend that his father owned a machine shop and they let me use the shop. I started building the scale sprints then built my 427 cobra, and made parts for that also. They moved to Washington state, so I lost the use of the CNC and molds. I lost count of how many hours I had with these, but around 50. I sold many to clubs in Australia, where these 1/4 sprints are very popular. I just don't have time for the sprints or even a simple trailer, but someday I'll get back into it.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 10-18-2011 at 09:42 PM..
Old 10-19-2011, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Incredible workmanship, Kevin!!!

Ok, the obvious question: have you or are you thinking about a 1/4 scale Shelby Cobra?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I partly built a wooden buck for the aluminum body several years ago, but I've never completed it. That's why I admire the Kirkham's so much, their cobra is a work of art, from the frame, chassis, suspension etc.....

The problem with creating a 1/4 scale cobra is the time involved, the high cost for aluminum materials today and the very high selling price. The cheaper way is to make a glass body over the aluminum, but I don't feel it would be right having a billet suspension etc...and not a body.

The same pertains to the scale quick change and suspension, that's the reason why I stick with the chrome moly and belt drive system. If I could find another shop that I could use their cnc & lathe for a low hour price, I would think about getting back into building.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, seeing your craftsmanship I can see how hours get eaten up.. small scale plastic models are easier, although not as nice....
Old 10-21-2011, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Received my 1:24 aluminum bodied cobra today and it looks awesome. Just wish I could afford a larger one, like a 1:18. lol
Old 10-24-2011, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool! Does it look like the one in the pic? I think I saw one up close a long time ago, simply stunning!! Just got back from DC, nice to be back chatting it up!

Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, exact one. So frickin cool.
My wife laughed at the supplied glove.

Many go for over $100 with several bidders and I was not going to pay over that. I was the only bidder and won for $60. I wonder why ?

Price: $59.95, Qty: 1 $59.95
Estimated delivery: October 24 - October 25, 2011 USPS Priority Mail $13.95

Subtotal: $59.95
Shipping & handling: $13.95
Total: $73.90
--------------------------------

Some on ebay-

$107.47

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

$150-
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

$89-
FRANKLIN MINT 1966 SHELBY COBRA 427 S/C ALUMINUM NEW FREE SHIPPING | eBay

Last edited by FUNFER2; 10-24-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Old 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Awesome!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post

Talent like this is Incredible ...I am amazed at the patience and attention to detail on these projects!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I appreciate it.

The Q/C and suspension is scale to our big sprint car. Bird cages, torsion arms & stops, shocks, etc.....
The only difference is in the shaft from the engine to the rear end coupler and no torque tube. I have to use u-joints instead to get travel.

Working bead lock on wheel.

Our big toy before the 2011 season beginner- (800 HP and 1,250 lbs., turn left at 100-130 mph, depending on which dirt track.
1/3 rd mile to 1/2 mile,...... = FUN !

Last edited by FUNFER2; 10-24-2011 at 05:21 PM..
Old 12-26-2011, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Confused

Hey Kevin (FUNFER2)

I see in a few of your posts you claim to have built a few custom rears, and you post pictures of them.
If your name is Kevin, then how is it that these rears are actually built by a guy named Bob Smith?

Bob goes by the screen ID "The Man" here:

custom rears

I believe the very picture you posted is from that site.

You don't actually claim to have built the working beadlock rim below, and I trust that you wont, otherwise we'll only get more confused. They are actually made by a guy named Ed Berube, who lists them on this site:

First Quarter Racing