Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Is it a real Daytona coupe in Redline 7000

I was looking at a British site selling posters and they had two posters, one in color and one in black & white of a Daytona coupe, red in color, halfway into a ditch. I remember Scuderia Filipinetti had a red Daytona. Anyhow was this a scene froma race put into the movie?Diud they have a real Daytona coupe in the movie?

Here's the site http://www.drivepast.com/search.php?marque=101
Old 03-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historybuff View Post
Did they have a real Daytona coupe in the movie?
Since the movie was made in 1965, the chances of it being a replica are pretty slim, I'd say.

The pic/poster with the red car is a retouched (colorized) photo, probably of the b/w still. The Coupe in the movie was blue.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks like CSX2287 to me.

Steve
Old 03-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,

You go it Blue Original Daytona, not sure of the chassis number, a few the actors were a look alike Tab Hunter and Faux Sophia Loren. Some of the funny stuff is dialog between the two of them inside the coupe driving along and you can not hear the car running.

http://lostcinema.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2324374

James Caan is in this one and some of the racing scenes are cool. The Daytona in the ditch scene was also done with Elvis.

Tony R.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Mecum will be auctioning off CSX2601 in May 2009. They claim it to be the Cobra Daytona Coupe used in the movie, Red Line 7000.

See http://www.mecum.com/news/news_detail.cfm?NEWS_ID=2082 and http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...7&entryRow=147 for more.

UPDATE: I have since confirmed in the 2008 SAAC world registry that CSX2601 was, in fact, used in Red Line 7000. The car was then sold to none other than Bob Bondurant, and was in excellent condition owing to its appearance in the movie.

Last edited by SunDude; 03-26-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
Mecum will be auctioning off CSX2601 in May 2009. They claim it to be the Cobra Daytona Coupe used in the movie, Red Line 7000.

See http://www.mecum.com/news/news_detail.cfm?NEWS_ID=2082 and http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...7&entryRow=147 for more.

UPDATE: I have since confirmed in the 2008 SAAC world registry that CSX2601 was, in fact, used in Red Line 7000. The car was then sold to none other than Bob Bondurant, and was in excellent condition owing to its appearance in the movie.
Well, the car in the ditch is not CSX2601. Take a look at the shape of the door, and profile of the roof, and the distance between the leading edge of the door and the trailing edge of the hood. Compare with the other photos of CSX2287 and CSX2601. The car in the ditch does not look like Carrozzeria Gransport to me. I have not seen the movie in a loooong time, so maybe CSX2601 is in other scenes.

CSX2287

CSX2601
Old 03-28-2009, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Well, I've never seen the movie and can't say firsthand how many Cobra Daytona Coupes appear in it. However, I did check the SAAC registry one more time for all six coupes and CSX2601 is the only one that seems to have been featured. This is what the registry has to say about each coupe, immediately following the 1965 racing season and around the time the film was made.

CSX2286 - featured in the "Cobra Caravan" travelling show
CSX2287 - raced at the Bonneville Salt Flats
CSX2299 - used promotionally by Shelby American and loaned to Goodyear for shows/displays
CSX2300 - sold privately and shipped to Japan
CSX2601 - loaned to Paramount for "Red Line 7000"
CSX2602 - sold privately in California

Kopec and the gang at SAAC have poured over thousands of documents to prepare the registry, so I have to assume they got this one right.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

That picture of 2601 looks like it has been restored...the paint is extremely nice. Was it damaged at some point and then restored with a different front configuration. There is a noticeable difference. I've looked at several early race pics and the cars seem to have the narrower area between the hood and the doors, but there are no numbers of which cars they are...some could be the same. The race numbers on these are 5,6,9,10,11,12 and 15. Since there are more numbers there than cars, some would have to be the same.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've seen pics of CSX2601 back in the day - it did not have the same body style as the car in the Redline pics back then either. It would take some major rework to make CSX2601 have the same configuration as CSX2287.

With all regards to Kopec and company - they have done a tonne of work - they just missed this one.

CSX2287 ran LeMans as #6 in '64, and #9 or $10 in '65. It also raced at Sebring as #10 in '64 and Daytona as #14. I would have to dig out my Cobra Daytona book to get more specific as there were a lot more races.

I am going to stick by my guns on this one - the car in the Redline pic is CSX2287.

Steve
Old 03-28-2009, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRM View Post
. It would take some major rework to make CSX2601 have the same configuration as CSX2287.

Steve
I agree.I don't know the history of the car, but thought if it had been damaged severely that it could have had a reconstruction that incorporated the longer cowl area. The angle of that pic makes it look more sleek, almost along the lines of an SPF, with notable exceptions.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I looked at some pics closer with a magnifying glass( sorry, the old eyes need a little help sometimes) and there is a pic of a coupe #12 that has that elongated cowl and also has the 2 holes(?) that are visible in the pic of 2601 from the top on the right side. In this pic it has them on the drivers' side. What are they?? Were they on both sides?? Was 2601 the first coupe?? There is also a pic of what would appear to be the first one under construction and it too has the stretched cowl section. Maybe the later versions shortened that. Badger should pipe in and clarify any of this if he can.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As I compare these pics with those posted, it also looks like the ones in the movie as well as the Phil Specter car have the scoops in the hood instead of the cowl. The ones of 2601 and and at least one in the pics I am looking at have them on the cowl.That would have made the hood longer, once again that sounds like a change in build. So I would have to agree that 2601 is not that car in the movie, although that premise may pump up the bidding .
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodz428 View Post
I looked at some pics closer with a magnifying glass( sorry, the old eyes need a little help sometimes) and there is a pic of a coupe #12 that has that elongated cowl and also has the 2 holes(?) that are visible in the pic of 2601 from the top on the right side. In this pic it has them on the drivers' side. What are they?? Were they on both sides?? Was 2601 the first coupe?? There is also a pic of what would appear to be the first one under construction and it too has the stretched cowl section. Maybe the later versions shortened that. Badger should pipe in and clarify any of this if he can.
The first coupe was CSX2287. The holes are for the air jacks. I'm not sure but I think CSX2300 had the air jack holes on the left side for the '65 Daytona race.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

WDZ,
I know what you mean about blowing up the pics - some of them are really tough to see. I have a magnification setup that I use sometimes when I try to figure out markings/sponsor stickers on blurry 40 year old B&W photos.

Anyway - CSX2287 was the first car built. It was also the only body made in the US. The rest of the bodies were made in Italy by Carrozzeria Gransport. Sometimes Italian craftsman do things their own way - and they did this with the remaining Daytonas. Some things got 'fixed' in Italy. It made the cars a bit slower than Brocks original design (IIRC), but they looked a bit better. All of the cars made there (CSX2299, 2286, 2601, 2602, and 2300) had the wider space between the hood and door. They also had scoops on the hood and cowl, while 2287 only had them on the hood.

Those holes were for airjacks, and some cars had them on the right, and some on the left. Sometimes a plate would get pop-riveted over the holes for certain races.

The construction pics you saw may have been either from Italy or CA. The Daytona book has a bunch of pics showing construction at both places.

There were a couple of other Daytonas built (Willment and AC), but they are completely different animals and can not really be mistaken for any of the other 6.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

CSX 2287 is the car used in Redline 7000. It's easy to spot as the California built proto because the cowl area is so thin. The "Daytona Cobra Coupes" book is wrong. There are a couple of other errors in there as well, inserted by well meaning, but uninformed "experts". :0) Badger ps. You guys might be interested to know that Mecum will publish a hardcover book on the Daytona Coupes, and CSX2601 specifically for the auction in May. It's intended primarily for the heavy hitters who will attend the auction, but a few extra copies will be for sale! This is going to be a rare piece as only a few will be produced. For those unable to obtain a copy of "Daytona Cobra Coupes" this is the best alternative.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
So far as the same CSX number car looking different, they just used the six frames and drive trains and re bodied a couple for the next years races. And the 1997 registry gives a great layout of which cars ran under which numbers in which races. Some of them ran with several different numbers depending on which race it was.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-22-2009, 02:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

Who would argue with Badger.!
Definitely 2287, its the only car that had the rear spoiler with 'square' corners and the rear plexiglass running to within a couple of inches of Kamm tail , all later cars had rounded spoilers & a bit more alloy to mount it in that area! I guess the plexi is actually a bit shorter on later cars.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
CSX 2287 is the car used in Redline 7000. It's easy to spot as the California built proto because the cowl area is so thin. The "Daytona Cobra Coupes" book is wrong. There are a couple of other errors in there as well, inserted by well meaning, but uninformed "experts". :0) Badger ps. You guys might be interested to know that Mecum will publish a hardcover book on the Daytona Coupes, and CSX2601 specifically for the auction in May. It's intended primarily for the heavy hitters who will attend the auction, but a few extra copies will be for sale! This is going to be a rare piece as only a few will be produced. For those unable to obtain a copy of "Daytona Cobra Coupes" this is the best alternative.
Badger,
Mistakes happen...the pics in the book alone are fantastic enough though, and it is still one of my favourites. Personally, I actually like the lines on the original (especially around the nose) better than what Gransport did - it seemed a bit slipperier.

So about this Mecum book...Do you know how I go about getting one? I am in no way a heavy hitter (and was barely a glimmer when the cars were being built), but I love all those old GTs of the 60s and just can't get enough of them or the stories about them!

Steve
Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi to all Daytona coupe fans..Just wondering if the movie is available as a dvd or ?
I actually saw it when it was released,and would like a copy if available.Any ideas??
Thanks R.R.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Check both on AMAZON.com and SPEED TV website. If you have no luck, check out ebay. I don't know if it was issued on DVD or not.