Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default CT: Crackdown on out of state vehicles

From CTtalking:

"Crackdown on out of state vehicles: Posted by Dan Lovallo on Apr 16, 2012 " |

" Thomaston, CT assessor David A. Ambrose has had it with residents, who dodge the property tax on motor vehicles by registering them in states where no property tax is charged. Now Ambrose is fighting back, after conducting a scan that found 7,320 vehicles registered in Vermont to owners that have Connecticut mailing addresses. Twenty-six such vehicles have owners with Thomaston addresses and 65 with Torrington addresses. Ambrose told the Republican American newspaper he’s prepared to monitor the addresses to determine if the vehicles are kept in Thomaston rather than out of state. "

CT Talking
Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

He would do better if he monitored the registration of boats that sit in the marinas along the CT shoreline and waterways. Those taxable assets are sitting out in plainview.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Having lived in 11 states before CT, I will add that CT is the most screwed up state ever. There are only a few states that make you pay tax on your vehicle every year and CT has a really crappy way of administering it. The DMV sends your town a listing of new vehicle registrations and the town sends you a bill. If you sell the car or move, it is up to you to provide the town proof that you did so and they dog you with fines and penalties if you fail to do so. Two years in and I'm just now getting their claws out of my cars that are all registered in PA for about $30/year. I will never live there again!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

It this commonplace in the U.S. -- charging property tax on motor vehicles and boats and whatnot...?

(Touch wood) I've never heard of this in Canada. I would hate to see such an idea catch on.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
From CTtalking:

"Crackdown on out of state vehicles: Posted by Dan Lovallo on Apr 16, 2012 " |

.............................. Ambrose told the Republican American newspaper............... he’s prepared to monitor the addresses to determine if the vehicles are kept in Thomaston rather than out of state. "

CT Talking
Really!!........?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

sounds a bit like some countries in europe, i have heard the tax man taxes yearly not only on the real estate and cars but what furniture you have in your house.

i often wondered if this is why when you see lavish estates pictured on movies in europe they are strangely void of furniture in most rooms.

damn tax whores....lol
Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I think I'd sell all my cars...
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

That state needs an enema.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Hey, the politicians in CT need the revenue so they can give illegals id cards and access to services paid by legal citizens. They also need to have state workers and contractors work on their private residences. I repeat, worst state I ever lived in!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion, 429 SCJ,
Not Ranked     

I moved out 16 years ago. Need I say more?

Here in North Carolina they also tax automobiles yearly but at a much lower rate.

In Germany they tax you for each television you own, every year. Gotta pay for those 35 hour work weeks and six plus weeks of vacation every year some how. Did I mention the 17 annual holiday's? ................
Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
Having lived in 11 states before CT, I will add that CT is the most screwed up state ever. There are only a few states that make you pay tax on your vehicle every year and CT has a really crappy way of administering it. The DMV sends your town a listing of new vehicle registrations and the town sends you a bill. If you sell the car or move, it is up to you to provide the town proof that you did so and they dog you with fines and penalties if you fail to do so. Two years in and I'm just now getting their claws out of my cars that are all registered in PA for about $30/year. I will never live there again!
Curious, have you ever lived in Kalifornia?

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

When evaluating and comparing non-business taxes in all the states, need to include all the taxes within a state, not just a specific tax. Inclusive of sales, income, estate, personal property such as autos and boats , city/town, district, county, state, low income tax credit, fire/school district, gas/diesel, land/real estate sales/transfers, etc. As an example, CT does not have a county tax. The per capita tax in CT is strongly influenced by the higher salaries of some residents in Fairfield county, those adjacent to New York City. In PA, as a hobbyist, not a business, need to have a Tax Number to secure a flea market space, charge the sales tax for old parts, books, etc., file a tax return and send the tax funds to the state, i.e. AACA Fall Hershey Meet.

CT personal property tax applies to autos and is administered individually by each of the 169 towns for their own revenue, based upon their mill rate, not to be confused with a state Sales Tax. All the Town Tax Assessors use the identical manual in determining value. There is a Bill in the CT General Assembly, status unknown, which will tax all autos at the same state wide mill rate, some will pay more and some will pay less, tax receipt revenue still going back to the 169 towns.

Over the years have sold a multitude of autos in CT. Never had a problem, turned in the registration plates to the DMV, received a receipt, then gave or sent the receipt, i.e." proof ", that the vehicle was no longer registered, to the Town Tax Collector which immediately removed the vehicle from the personal property listing. The DMV also sends to the Towns' Tax Collector a listing of vehicles that are no longer registered, triggered by the timely turning in of the registration plates to the DMV. The DMV also accepts registration plates by mail, then notifying the Town Tax Collector.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

Ct has some of the most screwed up taxes around. My mother at 86 years old was finally convinced, I took away her car, to stop driving and we wanted to transfer a family registration plate. It had been in the family for 60 + years and is a two letter, one number plate with sentimental value. Hit the computer and get the proper forms for canceling my wife's current registration and the forms for transferring the family plate to her car. Reading the State of CT website and the forms, it was going to cost about $50 (best I can remember) to transfer the plate. We get to DMV and wait hours for our turn, get to the window and start the process and the woman helping me asks if I am the son of the owner of the old registration. I reply yes and the plate is going on my wife's car, thus the woman's name on the registration! She says fine, all she needs is a check for $172.00 and we're done. I ask why it's not $50 like the form says and she replies, YOUR WIFE IS NOT A DIRECT DESCENDANT OF THE FAMILY, therefore it costs more. unbelievable!!!! if I put it on my truck, 50, wife's car 172, all because of DNA. Pathetic!!! I was afraid to tell her i was adopted, it would have ben out of my price range! Every little bit to fund a State that's out of control on it's spending. Can't wait to get the heck out of here.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quite a drift from the original topic.

Enough said. Heed or ignore.

ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Closed Thread