Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star, Ford 302W
Not Ranked     
Default Front License plate??

How strict are the local "Gendarmes" about having a front license plate??
We all know Cobras were never meant to have any plate there, and it'd look horrible with one. I'm in CT, and plan on driving around a lot with my recently completed Lone Star. I have a friend with an ERA who says he never took his 2nd plate out of the trunk (Rich - you know who you are!), but I also heard of a few guys getting ticketed. The DMV inspectors mentioned it when I got it inspected, but the fact that I didn't have a bracket didn't seem to bother them. Does anyone have any horror stories elsewhere in New England or NY State that will justify one more fabrication project (or ridiculous purchase?)? TIA
Old 06-11-2017, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

If you run into a LEO with an itchy pen, you can be ticketed. I havent been ticketed yet, but if it happens, I wont be surprised. I try to drive responsibly so that I don't give the LEO's a reason to write me up. That probably helps.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

My original 427 cobra (I think most/all street 427's) came with a spring loaded front license plate holder. It folds down at speed and springs back up when you stop. I have been stopped twice since owning the car from 1968 for no front license in California. Both times was on our honey moon in 1970. Once stopped the license is back up so the police were a bit puzzled. The first one apologized and said he must have been mistaken. The second one actually kicked the plate and it folded down. He gave me some grief but I explained it was sold this way in California. He then said he was going to give me a break since he was a good guy.
Jaydee, FrankR105 and kmn5 like this.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 Narrow Hip Street Roadster
Not Ranked     

After all the effort I spent making a a fold down license plate bracket with torsional spring,welding it on and having the front nudge bar re-chromed,I found Nick Acton sells them all made to original specs . If you'd paid for any chrome plating lately you'll find his a bargain.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I was pulled over in MA for no front plate while living in NH
Now have a plate....

Some folks just lay it on top of oil cooler tin, works and is acceptable in NH.
Ct, Dunno?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

I've never had a problem, so far, and now that I've said it outloud I'm doomed.Been pulled over twice by LEO but both times were to just check out the car. I'm pretty sure that most cops don't understand the laws regarding"vintage" cars and you could tell him/her that they weren't required in '65 and therefore not now. Do it with a smile and a laugh and you might pull it off.
if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****
Joey.S, FrankR105 and Trubble like this.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Not Required

In Washington State if you have a Collector Vehicle Plate....in addition, there is no annual fee for that plate...the car is only supposed to be driven for tuning and showing....ya right..
Old 06-12-2017, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

I have been pulled over in my vette and cobra and no mention of the front plate missing but the speeding part was a different story lol.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#1325, Miller Machine FE
Not Ranked     
Default front plate

Mine is prominently displayed under my passenger seat floor mat
Old 06-12-2017, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     

I purchased a License Plate Bracket from Shell Valley Cobra.

I had to modify it to work with my Superformance which has been on the car going on three years in New York works great.

Cobra Replica License Plate Brackets and Hood and Trunk Props
Attached Images

mln385 and 1985 CCX like this.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

I got a ticket for 117.00 two years ago in Oxford CT. Doing 5 miles an hour thru an intersection. I bought a plate holder specifically for a cobra. Never used it. I'm taking my chances, so I strapped the plate down on top of the oil cooler as mentioned above.
I would sell the bracket if your interested.
I'm in CT also, where are you in CT
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 06-19-2017, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star, Ford 302W
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the responses, guys, I appreciate it.
I'll probably try to engineer and fabricate something out of aluminum over the winter that will quickly mount and dismount on the bumper/overrider mounts. Guess I'll just take my chances during this driving season and not give the "LEOs" an excuse to stop me. Maybe I'll keep the 2nd plate under my seat and say it just fell off or something, if I'm stopped.
So, I'll pass on your offer Mr. "davids2toys," mainly because I do as much fab work as possible -- it's in my genes and that's one of the reasons I undertook this project. Attempting to duplicate anything accurately is a lost cause on this thing.
BTW, I'm in the West Haven/Milford area. Funny, I remember being in Oxford on Christmas Day a few years ago and seeing a red Cobra with white stripes at a gas station on Rt. 67 -- was it you? Most people would have thought you were nuts -- it was really cold that day -- but I, of course, fully understood!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms427 View Post
My original 427 cobra (I think most/all street 427's) came with a spring loaded front license plate holder. It folds down at speed and springs back up when you stop. I have been stopped twice since owning the car from 1968 for no front license in California. Both times was on our honey moon in 1970. Once stopped the license is back up so the police were a bit puzzled. The first one apologized and said he must have been mistaken. The second one actually kicked the plate and it folded down. He gave me some grief but I explained it was sold this way in California. He then said he was going to give me a break since he was a good guy.
We don't have a requirement here for front license plates, but I've always thought the best way to do that would be a spring-loaded front license plate that would fold back / down under air pressure when moving, then pop back up when stopped. I didn't realize the original cars had that, but glad to know my idea has been validated!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

It is a requirement in most states. And it all depends on how the officer feels that day. Most of the cars in our club do not have front plates. Rarely does anyone get a ticket. But every now and then......

I used this one. front plate page

Inexpensive, durable, and easy.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankR105 View Post
Thanks for the responses, guys, I appreciate it.
I'll probably try to engineer and fabricate something out of aluminum over the winter that will quickly mount and dismount on the bumper/overrider mounts. Guess I'll just take my chances during this driving season and not give the "LEOs" an excuse to stop me. Maybe I'll keep the 2nd plate under my seat and say it just fell off or something, if I'm stopped.
So, I'll pass on your offer Mr. "davids2toys," mainly because I do as much fab work as possible -- it's in my genes and that's one of the reasons I undertook this project. Attempting to duplicate anything accurately is a lost cause on this thing.
BTW, I'm in the West Haven/Milford area. Funny, I remember being in Oxford on Christmas Day a few years ago and seeing a red Cobra with white stripes at a gas station on Rt. 67 -- was it you? Most people would have thought you were nuts -- it was really cold that day -- but I, of course, fully understood!
Yes, that was me for sure. I was doing the annual end of the season fresh fuel top-off for the Winter storage. same gas station every year. I live 4 miles up the road.
Your plate scenario would not have gone over at all with this cop. I did nothing to provoke him at all and he was also very polite. "just doing his job".
I bought this ferom a member right after I got the ticket. Just throwing it out there. It is brand new and I am not using it. It is a very nice piece and I would sell it for 35.00 if anyone is interested. I believe I paid 45.00 for it
FrankR105 likes this.
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 06-28-2017, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1134, Roushcharged Coyote Aluminator NA
Not Ranked     

5 years and 9000 miles later and have never been stopped for not having the front plate displayed (have not been stopped for any reason though). I do, however, carry it in the trunk so I can say I do have one........

Julian
Old 01-31-2018, 02:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3
Not Ranked     

The front license plate bracket as fitted by Backdraft to mine...
https://www.backdraftparts.com/produ...acket-993.html
Attached Images

mln385 likes this.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If your DMV issued you two plates, its for a purpose and sending you a "sign".....
mln385 likes this.

Last edited by studebaker53; 01-31-2018 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: spell
Old 01-31-2018, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

In Massachusetts you wont get by the state inspection without one. Don't know how CT. is for inspection.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Mk 3
Not Ranked     

I can tell you as a New Hampshire Inspection Station, the State has started to crack down on a lot of things that were previously kind of ignored. I cannot and will not inspection a vehicle without 2 plates showing. If that car were stopped for any infraction and asked about the front plate, "The guy that put the sticker on didn't say I had to have one" is the kiss of death for me. I have 2 on mine.
Last year during my annual audit, I was told the State was cracking down on exhaust noise from cars. I asked what the criteria was for that and was told "If you don't want that vehicle driving by your house at 10pm, don't put a sticker on it". I told him I didn't want ANY Harley driving by my house anytime and THEY have specific criteria for noise.
Tom